when idling RPM drops to 600 and less (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I am stuck in traffic and just idling, my RPM slowly goes down from 650 to 600 and sometimes 590 and kicks back up.
What would cause this symptom and is this okay? I sometimes have a fear of the RPM might drop more and the car will stall.
It is 97 LC with 115k mi.
Thanks.

Hey MN Cruiser.

I don't know if I can help much with your idling problem, but I will wave to you in traffic. I live just west of Eden Prairie, and man, every time we get dumped on, people forget how to drive.

Check the big rubber intake tube that goes from air cleaner to throttle body. This gets old and cracks allowing unmetered air into the system. The cracks seem to be underneath where they are hard to see. Also check for vacuum leaks in all the little rubbers hoses. Make sure oil cap is tight and dipstick is fully inserted.

If not these things give us some more information on how long this has been happening, has any service been done by you or a mechanic recently.

When you're stuck in traffic, you're car isn't idling. It's in Drive but your foot is on the brake to keep it from moving. Try moving it to Park next time you're waiting. It should fall back into the 650 +/- 50 range.

jeffnordeen,

Yes. People just forget how to drive. Little snow little rain, freeway is parking lot. I had one I__ot driving Camero doing 360 in front of me when he was changing lane....

Anywho, when I am in drive but stopping the RPM drops. When I put it in park, everything is dandy. I will check on the air intake hose and also vacuum hose.

I will report back!
Thanks guys.,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom