Wheeling 11/10/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was an amazing feeling to be able to drive over things without wincing and waiting to hear the bang and scrape.
DSC_0279.jpg

Greg making it look simple on 33s
DSC_0282.jpg

Andy hoping to find a hard line
DSC_0298.jpg

Notice the right side of Vince's truck here, possibly one of the last photos taken of it before he added some dimples and decided to deflare it the quick way
DSC_0313.jpg

Avi freezing in what has to be the coldest and windiest place in PA taking hero shots
DSC_0327.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg

Andy wheeling in his low-low 11:1 range and getting style points. In retrospect, this should have been the sign he wanted to try something harder.
DSC_0342.jpg
DSC_0349.jpg
DSC_0355.jpg
DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg
DSC_0387.jpg
DSC_0388.jpg
DSC_0406.jpg
DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg
DSC_0447.jpg
DSC_0463.jpg
DSC_0475.jpg
DSC_0494.jpg

Heard that Greg wheels with us because the guys on Tacoma World think he's a little too cra cra
DSC_0500.jpg
DSC_0507.jpg

While Greg was showing off, Andy became intrigued by a trail head that wasn't on the map or maplets app. A quick discussion later and down the rabbit hole we go.
DSC_0512.jpg
DSC_0514.jpg

I'm not sure I see a trail here ....
DSC_0515.jpg

Nevermind, there it is
DSC_0529.jpg

Vince like he had done it 100 times before. You can see me up top talking to Greg cause I'm not feeling confident about this.
DSC_0552.jpg

Point of no return ...
DSC_0555.jpg

See the red marker on the tree to the right? That means "don't do this trail" to me now. Too late, I'm committed.
DSC_0584.jpg

Greg like a boss. This was the less steep and less sketchy of the two downhill sections.
DSC_0591.jpg
DSC_0598.jpg

At the bottom of the hill there was an off camber section that was tight between rocks, trees and this drop-off. It was here I saw Andy use the reverse in his truck for the first time ever.
20181110_130811.jpg

Was taking a pic of the drop-off area. Turned out this tree would almost remove my pass side mirror
20181110_130808.jpg

After the flat section we had to do a 3 point turn to straighten out for the incline. The rock under Vince's DS tire pushes you right into the tree on the right and was an issue. Both he an I almost hit it with the back end of the truck.
DSC_0602.jpg

Last edited:
Andy setting the snatch block as we attempt to pull Vince off the tree. It was off camber and the rocks pushed him right into it because they were all moss covered and slick. Andy and Avi stacked a few rocks against the tree before I went through to keep me from hitting in the same spot. First time I've ever used my winch.
20181110_123043.jpg

The downhill exit. The picture does no do how steep it was justice.
20181110_140935.jpg

About 75yds past the sign you can see was the parking area, but we couldn't get to it trough the trees. Had to climb over several large rocks and then squeeze through 3 trees. It was 4-5 back and forth maneuvers to get the right line. I ended up clipping the sign with the back of my truck.
20181110_140940.jpg

~4 hours later and we were off the trail. Hopping puddles to get back to the entrance
20181110_145449.jpg

20181110_145453.jpg

Wow, great update guys!
Feel like I was there, and like i missed out on a fun day with you guys at the same time.

Andy, Avi, thanks for taking care of of the group!
Vince, back to the body shop? Or, gonna wear the battle scars for a few months?

Nice write up and pics, can’t wait to try the new trail!

@jamarquardt22 @YotaFun Thanks for leading and not holding back. I love that stuff. @Cass007 all that hard work really paid off for you. Glad you did a good job on those brakes. I told you, you would be fine on the sketchy s***. @VBRoamer was as entertaining as always. Good group of guys and a good time. Killer pics also!

It was a great day, no kidding, especially bushwhacking the no-name trail. I think we all felt a real sense of accomplishment blazing a new trail. And now my truck is ready for another trip to the salon. Special thanks to Andy for finding my glasses after they went for a trip to the bushes.

Any suggestions on a good fabric winch line replacement?

It was a great day, no kidding, especially bushwhacking the no-name trail. I think we all felt a real sense of accomplishment blazing a new trail. And now my truck is ready for another trip to the salon. Special thanks to Andy for finding my glasses after they went for a trip to the bushes.

AUXMART Synthetic Winch Rope Winch Line Cable 20500LBs Protective Sleeve 95ft x 3/8" for ATV UTV SUV Truck Boat Ramsey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQ6EPQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Xvv6BbGVXK5KA

This is what I run on my Warn VR10000S.

Nice write up and pics, can’t wait to try the new trail!

grumpy-cat-no-1-300x234.jpg

I will park at the lunch area and come take pics for you. LOL.

First we were making jokes about someone having a chainsaw and then we actually all asked each other if someone had one. The trail is TIGHT, like whomever cut it only made it wide enough for a JK. I feel like Andy should get to name it because he was possibly the first truck down the trail and out the other side.

These guys have a good reputation and are using good high quality line. 3-8 in Southeast Overland Amsteel Blue Winch Lines - 19600 lbs

This will save you a few bucks over using the Warn Spydura line, and avoid using the amazon special posted above. Winch line is not something I would want to skimp on.

P.S. Vince, what line were you using that snapped? Any other info on the failure that might be useful to the group?

I would say that the line looked a little old and worn, plus his DS front tire was alongside a rock maybe 3" high and the winch was trying to pull the tire over the rock sideways when the line let go. I'm just now thinking about how dangerous a snapped line could have been in a different situation :eek:

What I did think about when it happened is how I should learn to tie some basic knots. Andy gave us a quick lesson on the trail, but it was windy and cold and I was pre-occupied with knowing I was next up the hill and through the trees.

Last edited:
I'm just now thinking about how dangerous a snapped line could have been in a different situation :eek:

That's one of the nice things about synthetic, it won't kill you if it snaps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom