Wheel Cleaning Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody here have experience with removing this type of stain on these stockers? Tried the usual process and they seem pretty stubborn to remove.

LXwheel.jpg

View attachment 1760331

The easiest is this TERRIBLE smelling product called IronX. It isn't cheap, but it works really really well. Use a sealant afterwards to avoid the brake dust buildup.

Oh and some of it will likely not come off as the brake dust will actually stain and pitt the paint on the wheels.

Here is a standard link to the IronX on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Iron-Remover-500-Sprayer/dp/B004UM6DLE

Here is a link to a two sealant waxs that is easy to apply to wheels
https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Li...8&qid=1533480456&sr=1-1&keywords=colonite+wax
https://www.amazon.com/Klasse-All-I...3480980&sr=1-17&keywords=klasse+sealant+glaze

Last edited:
Automatic carwash, works everytime.

The easiest is this TERRIBLE smelling product called IronX. It isn't cheap, but it works really really well. Use a sealant afterwards to avoid the brake dust buildup.

Oh and some of it will likely not come off as the brake dust will actually stain and pitt the paint on the wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Li...8&qid=1533480456&sr=1-1&keywords=colonite+wax
https://www.amazon.com/Klasse-All-I...3480980&sr=1-17&keywords=klasse+sealant+glaze

Keep in mind that iron-x will not remove all stains. Only iron particles in the brake dust. So if the stain is from improper use of a strong wheel cleaner or something that dripped down on it, it won’t be removed.

I use walmart purple power, and have for years, as it's pretty good and doesn't need to be diluted like castrol super clean, not to mention it's cheap as hell. Also handles oil splashes when changing and getting grime off the underside. Works like a charm. Too me the wheel you pic'd above looks rather clean, so budget purple power and sometimes a wheel brush, will fix you right up.

I use walmart purple power, and have for years, as it's pretty good and doesn't need to be diluted like castrol super clean, not to mention it's cheap as hell. Also handles oil splashes when changing and getting grime off the underside. Works like a charm. Too me the wheel you pic'd above looks rather clean, so budget purple power and sometimes a wheel brush, will fix you right up.

I use this stuff too, you can spray it on your wheels before you get in line at the carwash.

Drano works great on driveway oil stains. As so Muratic acid, that stuff works the best. Concrete looks brand new. Pour it on, dilute with water, scrub with push broom or brush, do NOT breath the fumes and do NOT get on clothes or skin.

I tried Oxi Clean wheel cleaner (sprays on blue, turns brown in 30 sec). Didn't touch any of the stains. Place order for Iron X with hopes it works. Thanks!

I tried Oxi Clean wheel cleaner (sprays on blue, turns brown in 30 sec). Didn't touch any of the stains. Place order for Iron X with hopes it works. Thanks!

Happily. In my experience, if the IronX doesn't get it out, nothing will. It does just look to be some stubborn iron deposits. Post pics after you use the product. Ha ha and be sure to use it in a very well ventilated area.

So is this a common issue?
Pretty much. It is a much more common issue with high performance cars running traditional (non carbon ceramic) rotors. They just pour off the brake dust and it can easily become embedded. This is especially true when there is any time spent on track or with spirited driving. I am surprised at how much brake dust my LC puts off, but I believe that it has to do with running 34" tires and spending a lot of time offroad.

Pretty much. It is a much more common issue with high performance cars running traditional (non carbon ceramic) rotors. They just pour off the brake dust and it can easily become embedded. This is especially true when there is any time spent on track or with spirited driving. I am surprised at how much brake dust my LC puts off, but I believe that it has to do with running 34" tires and spending a lot of time offroad.

I was mostly asking about the LX/LC wheels. My 911 wheels require lots of attention. I'm on the hunt for the perfect low dust pads for them as we speak.

Those don't look like stains to me. But I can't zoom in on your picture so not sure what I'm seeing. Look more like paint top coat has worn through. Under top coat is a black primer. That primer may actually be a powered coat (IDK) as it seem very hard. Cleaning products like purple power & castrol super clean are too strong for paint and may cause just what the picture looks like has happened. Buffing with a power wheel foam pad that's gritty or to fast (hot) may also cause this condition, so I learned the hard way:frown:.

Iron-X is a good product for removing contaminants like iron off paint. These come often from rail lines, when rig is first transport across the country. They also come from brake dust. But I don't see that being your issue.

Those don't look like stains to me. But I can't zoom in on your picture so not sure what I'm seeing. Look more like paint top coat has worn through. Under top coat is a black primer. That primer may actually be a powered coat (IDK) as it seem very hard. Cleaning products like purple power & castrol super clean are too strong for paint and may cause just what the picture looks like has happened. Buffing with a power wheel foam pad that's gritty or to fast (hot) may also cause this condition, so I learned the hard way:frown:.

Iron-X is a good product for removing contaminants like iron off paint. These come often from rail lines, when rig is first transport across the country. They also come from brake dust. But I don't see that being your issue.

The transition from clean to stained is too smooth for it to be worn out paint. I'm gonna have my detail guy look at it at some point.

I was mostly asking about the LX/LC wheels. My 911 wheels require lots of attention. I'm on the hunt for the perfect low dust pads for them as we speak.

Ha ha good luck on the Holy Grail of pads! I have yet to find them yet, and I feel your pain.

This is a more extreme example, but transition is smooth and passes the fingernail test.
Wheels & tires (25).JPG

This a little less extreme.
01 LX470 day 2 023.JPG

Our wheels are painted and must be cared for as a painted surface. Chrome, mag or aluminum wheel cleaner along with acids, harsh detergents and degreaser will damage paint and leave behind streaks. Which I've seen many damaged from well intentioned..

This is a more extreme example, but transition is smooth and passes the fingernail test.
View attachment 1760798
View attachment 1760804
Our wheels are painted and must be cared for as a painted surface. Chrome, mag or aluminum wheel cleaner along with acids, harsh detergents and degreaser will damage paint and leave behind streaks. Which I've seen many damaged from well intentioned..

Interesting... I see what you were say and it seems like you might be right. At least IronX is safe for paint ;)

View attachment 1760798
View attachment 1760804

Thanks for the clarification. Appears the paint on my wheels are worn -- time to powdercoat....

Years ago I bought some used factory allow wheels for my 87 Celica convertible. The shop I bought them from said they use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner to clean up all the used wheels they got in. I haven't had the brake dust buildup you experienced but I will say that it has done a pretty good job of cleaning up the dirty wheels I have used it on.

Thanks for the clarification. Appears the paint on my wheels are worn -- time to powdercoat....
I've in two years yet to try this but one day!
I plan on trying to remove the silver top coat without damaging the primer. If it worksout, I'd have factory black painted wheels;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom