Wheel adapters or new rims. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post here but have been gleaning advice from this site forever! I am fixing up my old 1995 FJ80 for my son. Legacy if you will...
I have been given a set of basically new wheels and tires for a 2019 Land cruiser (285/60R18 tires) and was wondering if there is a way to mount them to the existing hubs. We all know the newer land cruisers have a 5 bolt rim pattern vs the old 6 bolt pattern I have on my 95 cruiser. Should I buy a set of wheel adapters (6x5.5 to 5x5.5) and just run the new wheels or should I take the new tires and just buy new rims to fit them with a six bolt pattern. I highly doubt that he will be doing any four-wheeling or heavy trekking.

Options are:
1. Just buy new tires for the existing 16 inch ailing rims
2. Buy new six bolt pattern rims for the 18 inch tires
3. Buy wheel adapters that will fit the 5 bolt rims to the six bolt pattern

We are trying to keep the costs down here as much as possible so I am trying to utilize the 285/60R18 tires anyway I can. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Safety is always a consideration and as he is a new driver and we want the vehicle to be as safe as possible.

Love this forum btw. Quite the tight community. Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area.

- Matt

65490505973__698BA063-3343-491D-81BF-FBBC9C8323F3.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

My 10 cents....

If it’s going to be a mall cruiser (😕), then look for adaptors because those new wheels look lovely. However, 60 profile is really skinny.

You might also then fit bigger disks on the front at a later date?

Me? I’d sell the 18” set, buy some mud tyres and fit them to the original alloys.

Even if there wasn't the lug mis-match, you'll still need spacers for those wheels. So perhaps the converters would serve both purposes.
That said, spacers (or converters) add complexity and another box to tick on the regular maintenance check list. They have a history. lol
Not sure if a stock set of 16"s and new tires would be any less expensive than a new set of 18" steelies and those tires.

So, the 18" tires only have a .3" difference in height. And .4" more narrow than the stock 275/70/16. If you get a high quality (not Chinese or Amazon) 6 to 5 lug adapter, it will also serve as a spacer. I don't see why they wouldn't work. If you don't like it, you're out about $200 for the adapters.

Personally, I would go for a stock size A/T tire (not M/T since it's never going off-road) and the original wheels.

All of these replies are very helpful and have helped me to make a decision. Thank you all. I will post pics once complete. Stay tuned.

Sale the new rims and tires, then buy new tires for the stock wheels 😉

.... go for a stock size A/T tire (not M/T since it's never going off-road) and the original wheels.
Its run by a teenager; trust me, it's goin' off road. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom