What's Your Excuse! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markkuz.com
I thought this might be a cool little thread explaining why you're not fixing up your cruiser, why you're not wheeling your Cruiser or why you're not on MUD talking about your Cruiser!

My reasons for not fixing up my cruiser:
Currently I am hardly even driving my cruiser anymore now that I got a new beater commuter Civic. It got a little workout during the Summer when my wife took her neices and nephews to tennis & the museam on the free kids day. But now that she is back to work teaching and I am putting about 300 miles a week on the beater the Cruiser is getting a major break. Now I need to take advantage of this time to fix all the little and mojor things on her. THE LIST
But the main reason for neglecting the Cruiser is because we are in the middle of a remodel and move. We are swapping places with my mother-in-law. She has the front 3 bedroom 2 bath house and we have one of the 2 bedroom 1 bath apartments in back. She has found the house to be too big for her after 6 years now and is collecting too much junk in each closet and room and she want's something smaller. So now we are taking on a 1920's era house that needs some TLC so at the moment prior to us moving down we are working on phase 1 of our remodel the Master Suite. Here are some pictures of where we are at currently: House Remodel Stage 1
IMG_0381.JPG

My reasons for not wheeling my cruiser:
I never have wheeled much in the Summer because the only comfortable place to wheel when it's this hot is Big Bear and without sliders and lockers I am just asking for trouble on most of those trails. It's just $$$ right! No excuse I guess!
P1010651.JPG

My reasons for not talking about my cruiser on MUD:
I am talking about it a little and trying to but much less than I used to. The main reason for this is because I am no longer sitting in front of a computer 9 hours a day like I used to. I was laid off in May and chose to work with my long time friend at his local Fire Sprinkler Contracting business Pacific Fire Systems. So now I am his right hand man and learing the in's & out's of being a small buisiness owner where you wear all the hats. So I am learning Sales, Estimating, Bid Proposals, Sprinkler Design and now for only a couple hours a week drafting like I used to for 9 hours a day. So if you are building a new home, adding a large addition or your company is moving into a new space hit me up and I would be happy to bid the Fire Sprinklers for you.

I'll play along.

The only one of the three I have not been doing since April is wheeling my cruiser. This is mainly because: 1) during the summer I hate dealing with the influx of tourists in SoCal that bring more traffic getting to your destination 2) It's too hot in the desert and Big Bear is crowded 3) I use the summer to PM my cruiser (just flushed my cooling system and put in a new radiator today) 4) I use the longer days to get house projects done (painting this summer)

Plus the summer is a great time to sit at home, enjoy kicking back and hitting a few Padre games. Typing this from my backyard where I have two racks of Ribs on the smoker and my cruiser PM for the day is done...life is good.

I'll play along.

The only one of the three I have not been doing since April is wheeling my cruiser. This is mainly because: 1) during the summer I hate dealing with the influx of tourists in SoCal that bring more traffic getting to your destination 2) It's too hot in the desert and Big Bear is crowded 3) I use the summer to PM my cruiser (just flushed my cooling system and put in a new radiator today) 4) I use the longer days to get house projects done (painting this summer)

Plus the summer is a great time to sit at home, enjoy kicking back and hitting a few Padre games. Typing this from my backyard where I have two racks of Ribs on the smoker and my cruiser PM for the day is done...life is good.

Ummmm......Smoker.........:grinpimp::grinpimp:

I still check in here occasionaly, but most of my time is taken up with the kids and racing now. My Cruiser is being used mostly for pre-running, comfortable but a little slow.
10score_p300_talla_002.jpg
BAP 2011.jpg

Last edited:
No funds or time.

I still check in here occasionaly, but most of my time is taken up with the kids and racing now. My Cruiser is being used mostly for pre-running, comfotable but a little slow.

Sweet! Are you racing Baja at all? A race next month was just moved from the States to San Felipe, MX. I guess the insurance needed to race now is killing the desert racing in Ca & Nv.

Sounds Fun.

Reasons for not fixing the Cruiser - none. She's pretty much the way I want her. Nuf said there.
Reasons for not wheeling the Cruriser - pocketbook is still smarting/recovering from the 2200 hundred mile round trip to Moab and beyond in May at around 10mpg. I am itching to get out though. I'd have joined SOCALFJ at that beautiful group site he landed at the last minute if I didn't have a round of golf at another private clube here in the OC that I don't get to play and inlaws in town.
Reasons for not talking about my Cruiser on MUD - not applicable. Here almost every day. In other words...Hi, my name is Brent and I'm a MUD addict.

Ummmm......Smoker.........:grinpimp::grinpimp:

New summer addiction. :flipoff2:

After seeing your smoker in action at Desert Rdvz I picked up a Weber Smokey Mtn. for the house.

New summer addiction. :flipoff2:

After seeing your smoker in action at Desert Rdvz I picked up a Weber Smokey Mtn. for the house.

Good to hear!

No excuses for me. Don't need any :D

Drove straight from the mountains to work this morning. Unloaded and handed it over to my buddy across the way for some engine work. We already have a trip planned for august.

Don't post that much on Portal or here anymore. Just have been busy running Trasharoo, Caltape and AdvDuo.

I need to post, check in more.

I guess after my first year of ownership I did almost all the baseline maintenance and got the whole rig mechanically sound and set up for remote hunting trips (without driving over rocks the size of a coffee table). It stayed this way for 3 years and has delivered near flawless results. Cant complain there :)

Anyway, I'm doing a multi-day maintenance routine right now [prepare for list or skip to end]

Yesterday I tore down to the cam shafts and removed the upper intake manifold. Replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, spark plug wires, distributor o-ring, and a whole slew of vacuum hoses. Cleaned out the carbon from the upper intake manifold, tested the vsv and related egr equipment, and emptied the tuna can of a 1/2" of fine silt. Pretty cool little cyclonic air filter set up.

Today I only had a half day, but I started to rebuild all my brake calipers and replace all axle-caliper brake lines. Also pulled my front locker and r&r'd that. Had some grit, but overall the inner workings were 98%. Unfortunately the molex connecter had been exposed for too long (prior owner had harness removed) and one of the contacts had corroded and broke off. Need to figure out how to replace that....bummer.

Tomorrow I will finish the caliper rebuilds and brake line replacements, then if I have some time I will remove the rear hatch glass and replace the window gasket. I may pull the rear locker for r&r too depending on time.

Then on Wednesday and Thursday the plan is to build some drawers for the rear cargo area. Got most of the hardware, just need to pick up some wood and get started. I'm really looking forward to the drawers being done. I should have made some a couple years ago. I usually have a 50lb tool bag, a bunch of camping stuff, snow chains, a water container and some other junk (currently a chainsaw and two folding chairs) in the back, so it will be nice to have those stowed neatly and still be able to sleep on top (going toward BirfMark's design with some tweaks).

Thats where I'm at with wrenching and after this, I think I'll be good for another 3 years. The stealthy mildly lifted stock look has actually kind of grown on me, so I'm not really looking at armor other than step sliders for the :princess: because she hates sliding out of the passenger seat and getting "kissed" with whatever happens to be caked to the outside of the truck.

Wheeling less, but will probably try and do another trip this winter over Christmas break. Death Valley was awesome and I would love a repeat.

Hey, I'm posting aren't I? IH8MUD waxes and wanes in my life, but I always come back :flipoff2:

No funds or time.

Same here the last 3-4 years - but looking into the black by years end.
Not posting much since I haven't done anything on/with my 80 - I need to catch up with PabloVTA (Paul). He just upgraded to a 4x4labs rear bumper and 315s recently. :flipoff2: Not really a priority since the 80 became Mom's Taxi. :princess:

But I'm always checking whats going on in SC80s section - nice modded 80s (80bajabound, VCCruzer, etc) and wheeling (Cruiserruff, Pinoytoys, Dave, etc) to read about.

Great thread Mark!

I really miss getting out onto the trails.

Funds are my #1 reason for my lack of activity. After quitting my job about 4 years ago with the intention of opening an 'off-road' shop. The state of the economy changed those plans and it has been difficult getting regular work, so income has been scarce. (+ I bought a '71 pig that I just couldn't pass on!!)

I've taken a couple of small trips here and there (and a couple of T.D.S. events), but nothing like we were doing 5+ years ago.

Shoot, my sliders haven't even been on my Cruiser in over 2 years!!!

Hope to get back out there sometime soon.

Reid

So this weekend I finally got to wrenching!

But it was on the STUPID Beater Civic! Or new name the STUPID Money Pit Civic! Today I did the equivalent to the PHH for Honda! I changed out all the coolant hoses but my new fan relay didn't come in the mail today so it won't be 100% yet.
This money pit started with a fluid flush then a new radiator then a blown radiator hose then an electric fan that stopped working and now all new hoses... Probably into this coolant system for $350 and still need to replace the rotors and timing belt before it blows! ARGGGGGG But i'm saving on gas!!!

Time & Money... and re-sparked an old love.... which is more convenient, cheaper and good for the soul... Surf Fishing!!

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Time & Money... and re-sparked an old love.... which is more convenient, cheaper and good for the soul... Surf Fishing!!

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Now that's a good excuse...if you enjoy fishing...

Nice yellowfin croaker! I have never nabbed one that big. Any luck with the corbina?

About a year ago, I had to relocate for a new job. With that, I am buying all new furniture, and electronics etc. My walls are still plain (need some art or pics on them) all this costs $ thus my wallet is lacking extra funds to throw in my cruiser.

The new job has me out of the office about half the time thus hard to be on here. But I still manage to lurk here and there. I do make time for writing trip reports on my blog. (like my Baja trip from a month ago.)

I also have read pretty much all I need about what kind of mods I wanted, and still want. (12 volt fridge along with dual batteries are done, ARB Snorkel is next on my list)

Then my other hobbies take some of my free time and hit the gym 3-5 times a week after work when I am home for the sake of staying fit to do the activities which I like to do: hike the San Gabriel and San Bernardino mountains: Baldy, Gorgonio etc. And surfing of course. Then there is Salsa dancing and I take a class and go social dancing (man that has been fun and a great way to make new friends.

Thus little time to be on here at the end of the day.

I still prefer being outside in nature, so that would never change.

I still gotta take the time to change the oil gasket on the oil pump cover seal. Have the parts, now have to nut up and tackle that job.

But with a little bit of planning always up for doing a group trail run with you guys.

Nice yellowfin croaker! I have never nabbed one that big. Any luck with the corbina?

This year has been an outstanding year with gazillions of sand crabs... Sad thing is I only pulled 2 corbina this year... While I've watched others pull that out in one sitting. Drives me mad!!! Must be my skunky stink or something. The yellow fin croakers are all over the place. My son just pulled on the other day in the 19" range.. He's been kickin my butt lately!

Got married, had a kid, bought a new house, got a 55, got into side by sides, got into desert racing, figured out how to pair my work with my hobbies and now spend about 25 weekends a year chasing desert motorcycle racers across the desert as a Paramedic and get paid to camp and offroad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom