What's wrong with this picture (Brake pedal/arm) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently had a brake booster go out on my 97 FZJ80 while working out of town (12 hour days bussed to a second location daily) so eventually tossed in the towel and had it towed from a hotel parking lot to a small shop to replace the booster. After getting it back the brakes felt OK however while driving at highway speed experienced a significant vibration which felt like a flat tire so pulled over. Tires were not under inflated, no obvious loss of wheel weights, nothing loose with the front suspension, knuckle nuts/studs tight, no loose wheels/bearings, driveshafts had been greased a couple thousand miles ago,---. So started back on the highway and no vibration??

I then started to pay attention to the brake pedal as it seemed like it would get pulled down maybe an inch now and then which I would pull back up with the top/toe of my shoe. Took a few photos of the brake pedal/arm pivot pin area.

What's wrong with this picture:

Brake pedal pivot pin.jpg

No return spring connected from what I can tell. I had same issue where I forgot to put it back on when I reassembled. Almost exactly what happened to me. Replaced brake booster, in some cases it would pull down the pedal and I'd have to use my toe to pull back up. Was totally dismayed after all the work to repair...before I realized I had hooked the return spring up out of the way when I disconnected the pedal arm. Attached it back and all was perfect.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner (s)

The pin is also pointing the wrong way, should be right to left. I can't blame the mechanic as it was half apart when I had it towed and handed him a bag of parts. I had meant to discuss what I had done before bringing it to him but he was closing and talking to another customer when I dropped it off.

Last edited:
Recently had a brake booster go out on my 97 FZJ80 while working out of town (12 hour days bussed to a second location daily) so eventually tossed in the towel and had it towed from a hotel parking lot to a small shop to replace the booster. After getting it back the brakes felt OK however while driving at highway speed experienced a significant vibration which felt like a flat tire so pulled over. Tires were not under inflated, no obvious loss of wheel weights, nothing loose with the front suspension, knuckle nuts/studs tight, no loose wheels/bearings, driveshafts had been greased a couple thousand miles ago,---. So started back on the highway and no vibration??

I then started to pay attention to the brake pedal as it seemed like it would get pulled down maybe an inch now and then which I would pull back up with the top/toe of my shoe. Took a few photos of the brake pedal/arm pivot pin area.

What's wrong with this picture:

View attachment 2828826
No manual throttle cable hooked to gas peddle.

Oh and no return spring on brake; but the empty manual throttle cable attachment point was what jumped out at me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom