What's wrong with my alignment? Front tires wore uneven (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My GX470 came with these tires already. Front driver has a newer BFG KO2 285/70R17 E/10. Front passenger came with BFG KO 285/70R17 E/10. Rears are BFG KOs D load.

Rear tires wore out evenly, but front tires wore uneven. Inside got bald. I've only driven 20K miles since I purchased the GX470 over 20 months. I don't know how miles the tires were used prior to me purchasing the rig.

I got two alignments in 2017. One in March 2017 right after installing the TotalChaos UCAs. Alignment done by the same shop that installed the UCAs. Alignment done again 8 months later in November 2017.

Anyways, can anyone tell me if my alignment specs were way off? This is the last alignment I did in November 2017. I've put about 10k miles since this last alignment. Recently put new OEM LCAs in the front about 5K miles ago. Previous LCAs were not seized (only bushings were worn out).

I'm getting new tires installed this weekend, so I just want to know what to tell them about the alignment.

Alignment_01.jpg
Alignment_02.jpg
Alignment_03.jpg
Alignment_04_FrontPass.jpg
Alignment_05_FrontPass.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to see that much wear from such a slight negative camber (that is the cause). Your tow is positive (in) which is generally ok, but I prefer 0 to -.01 as you lose toe as your suspension lifts on take off (lifted truck problems). The caster looks heavy (over 4 you have slow response and return of the wheel, feels "heavy", but won't cause that wear). Camber seems to be the only issue. Negative camber will force tires to ride on the inside edge more. I suspect you must have had a ride height change...a settling of the suspension will cause camber to increase over time. I prefer 0 camber at alignment time with new parts as they settle into a slightly negative camber config. I would have your numbers checked, but I suspect you lost camber with settling and it caused the wear. Get camber to 0 and you should be good.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, Dan! I don’t have wear issues yet, but I noticed I’m getting a little squirrelly over bumps on the interstate. I’m about 8 months post lift, so I’ll be back at the alignment shop now.

Let this be a lesson in suspension changes/lifts, new tires, and wheel alignment. Protect your investment in tires by rotating and aligning every 6 months

Just to close out this thread...my uneven wear in the front might have been due to the front toe being out of spec. Today's alignment numbers with the new tires showed the front toe was off. See image here.

I got a 3-year wheel alignment plan and I'll be going back after to check alignment every 6 months or after a offroad trip.

Nitto_Alignment_01.jpg

Whoa! Yeah that is way out lol

Any issues with your cam tabs? Mine were bent not even sure how...

I need to check again. The last time I checked the cam tabs only one was slightly bent and somewhat crooked. I asked someone to look at them and said they still held the alignment in place, but stock oem cam tabs are weak.

They are weak. I feel like I've been pretty gentle with my GX and I noticed a few were bent. Figured the best solution was just to get the TC cam tabs done, did new OEM LCA and cam bolts at the same time and now it drives even better now.

If you were to approximate the cost of just doing the cam tabs with the TC cam tabs, what would you guess the cost be?

It looks like a lot of work to solder all those cam tabs. There’s like 16 of them?

Oh, and I got a 3 year alignment plan so I’m gonna get my moneys worth getting alignments after offroad trips

$400

I have had mine aligned twice and both times the cam bolts were not torqued to spec (100 ft lb?), so that's another thing to double check.

Good tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom