What's that fuel line for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm replacing all the fuel line in my '78 FJ40. I started from the tank on a hose nipple located about midway up the tank on driver's side. The line went through the floor,along the frame, then it STOPPED! Someone had plugged it ???
It obviously isn't needed so couldn't I just plug it at the tank with a short section of hose with a bolt clamped in it?
What was that line for?

got/ had the same line.

I dont know for sure but i think it was a vapor can or fuel return?

I reused it after i went with a return line style fuel pump on my 406 sbc.

BUMP.....Come on guys! I need a little help here! I don't want to reinstall all the seats and bracketry and then have to remove it AGAIN! :eek:

just a guess, but id go with HI C and say its a return line,
should go to your carb I believe if you have an aisin.

one of those lines went to the charcoal canister so you dont really need it. Is it an early 78 with the tank inside the tub? 78 was the year they changed the tank. The lines for the polution controls should be about the same though. If you block that one you should get a vented gas cap.

The tank is in the tub, under the passenger seat. There are 3 vent lines that go to a canister mounted by the gas filler hose.That canister is vented so I won't need a vented gas cap.
The line must have been some kind of a return because it's not at the top of the tank,like a vent line,but comes out of the side where gas could run into it on a full tank.
Someone retrofitted a Motorcraft carb on this 2F. Did the o.e.m carb have a return line from it?

[quote author=Iron_Pig link=board=1;threadid=5048;start=msg38984#msg38984 date=1063042764]
The tank is in the tub, under the passenger seat. There are 3 vent lines that go to a canister mounted by the gas filler hose.That canister is vented so I won't need a vented gas cap.
The line must have been some kind of a return because it's not at the top of the tank,like a vent line,but comes out of the side where gas could run into it on a full tank.
Someone retrofitted a Motorcraft carb on this 2F. Did the o.e.m carb have a return line from it?
[/quote]
Yes the OEM carb (Aisain) had a return line. I believe that the line out of the side is the return line. Some carbs need them others don't. If yours doesn't, then you can just plug it.

my 78 has the same line (plugged by the P.O. during the v8 conversion). I use it to siphon gas out of the tank for stranded 4 wheelers ;)

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :banana: :banana: :banana:Now I can reinstall the tank and interior without any fear of having to redo it...whew!

You can also do as I did and use it with an aux tank with fuel pump. I just flip a switch and refill my main tank without stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom