What you think of this tire/suspension combo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, it's time for new tires. I've been thinking about a couple different combos of tire sizes for my 1997 fzj 80 and not really sure what I should do. I have very limited experience with these land cruisers as I just bought my first 80.
I want to eventually put a OME suspension kit on it making a expedition type rig. I want the ability to load the 80 down for camping for a week or more, so I'm thinking either the OME 2.5 in lift suspension or the OME stock height suspension (which apparently gives a 1-1.5in lift). The combo I'm thinking is : OME stock suspension with 265 75 16 tires, or the OME medium suspension (2.5inch lift) with 255 85 16.

My problem with this decision is also that I don't have the money right now to afford the OME suspension, so I will have to drive with the tires for a while (maybe up to a year) before I get the suspension I want.
Just to inform you all of my purpose for this rig: It is a daily driver and a camping and expedition type rig. I want my LC to get the best gas milage possible. Will the 255, being a 33in skinny type tire get good gas milage? Highway/city? And the 265 75 16?
I don't rock crawl or do any crazy mud wamping, but I do drive on fireroads often and desert that can be pretty rutted/have rocks everywhere. I'm leaning toward the 255 85 16 with 2.5in lift OME, I'm just worried that my gas mileage will suffer.
What do you all think? Thanks very much for the suggestions.
Also want to add that I pretty much drive nice and slow. I don't accelerate super fast and I cruise 65 on the freeway.

Last edited:
285? Not in the mix? 265 is (close to) stock, right? 255 85 looks cool, and skinny, but are there negatives? Same boat as you. Was leaning 285 myself. Update when you decide, along with what brand you go with. Thanks. Eron.

Sent from my mudPhone using IH8apple

285? Not in the mix? 265 is (close to) stock, right? 255 85 looks cool, and skinny, but are there negatives? Same boat as you. Was leaning 285 myself. Update when you decide, along with what brand you go with. Thanks. Eron.

Sent from my mudPhone using IH8apple
Ya the 285 will be 33in in diameter just like the 255 but the 255 is narrower so there is less friction on the road providing better mpg than a 285. I have thought about a 285, I just want good mpg. Also, I have read that a narrower tire performs better on ice/rain because it digs into the road more. Ikd, this is a highly debated topic. I think a selection on a tire is very personal and depends on the purpose of the rig.

I'd personally just go with an AT type 285/75 tire for the larger foot print in off road conditions and that there are more choices available. Are you truly going to notice a difference in MPG if you go with a 255 vs 285. Higly doubt full.

If cost is in fact a factor I would not be so focused on OME. There are cheaper and alternatives with equal quality. Ironman for example, is good quality and offers spring rates for heavy loads. TJM is getting good reviews. Slee has an in house lift, and I am sure there are others available too. Shop around, search here for reviews and you may change your mind on the brand of lift, saving a few bucks for quicker tire upgrade.

, I just want good mpg.
Wrong vehicle.
Nothing you do besides makeing sure engine is tuned up right will help mileage. Nor will adding a lift and 35's hurt that much. 13-16 is what you will get almost no matter what you do, let alone a few mm in tire width. Get the tire that is best suited for what you plan to do with the rig.

I moved from cheap Continental 265s the PO put on to Cooper ST 255/85s. I also replaced shocks with Bilsteins I found on sale.

I don't see any need for a lift for 33" tires. I wish I had waited on the larger tires as she still sees DD duty. The modest gain in clearance is not really worth the noticeable drop in MPG and braking performance. They do LOOK cool though! If I did it again, I would have put stock size Michelin M/S on. I had the Michelins on my previous ride, a Jeep Wrangler, and couldn't say enough nice things about them. I chose the 255/85s as a compromise based on an idealized image of how I would use my vehicle. If I had been more honest with myself, I would have bought stock size tires until the LC is ready to be retired to trail-only status. I went way more places and did way more sketchy trails in my Jeep because I was at a different stage of my life -- and the 29" Michelins with open diffs never slowed me down. The Michelin's would have been more than adequate for camping/fishing/hunting/skiing/ etc.

1MPG over the course of a set of tires is nothing to laugh at. 10 feet in stopping distance might be meaningful someday - on or off the trail. I am seriously looking at moving to two sets of tires in the future : a set of quality stock size tires for day to day and winter use along with a set of mud-terrains 35s for the occasional trail run.

Tire selection involves difficult trade-offs - hence the number of threads on the subject. Unfortunately, this subject, along with paint color, is an area where the opinions of other people is least useful.

I moved from cheap Continental 265s the PO put on to Cooper ST 255/85s. I also replaced shocks with Bilsteins I found on sale.

I don't see any need for a lift for 33" tires. I wish I had waited on the larger tires as she still sees DD duty. The modest gain in clearance is not really worth the noticeable drop in MPG and braking performance. They do LOOK cool though! If I did it again, I would have put stock size Michelin M/S on. I had the Michelins on my previous ride, a Jeep Wrangler, and couldn't say enough nice things about them. I chose the 255/85s as a compromise based on an idealized image of how I would use my vehicle. If I had been more honest with myself, I would have bought stock size tires until the LC is ready to be retired to trail-only status. I went way more places and did way more sketchy trails in my Jeep because I was at a different stage of my life -- and the 29" Michelins with open diffs never slowed me down. The Michelin's would have been more than adequate for camping/fishing/hunting/skiing/ etc.

1MPG over the course of a set of tires is nothing to laugh at. 10 feet in stopping distance might be meaningful someday - on or off the trail. I am seriously looking at moving to two sets of tires in the future : a set of quality stock size tires for day to day and winter use along with a set of mud-terrains 35s for the occasional trail run.

Tire selection involves difficult trade-offs - hence the number of threads on the subject. Unfortunately, this subject, along with paint color, is an area where the opinions of other people is least useful.
Ya I have to agree so far with you. I know that I need to just test out the tire size/type/suspension combos myself and make my judgement then and not based off of reviews online. It's just hard making a decision now when I want the perfect all around adventure vehicle NOW! and not waist money and time realizing I should have went with something else :bang: Ha Ha Ha, I guess I need some friends with 80s so we can off road together and see how different setups work for different environments.

There you go! Most areas do have a small group of FJ80's that get used off the pavement. Keep an eye out on here and in the Trail Rides and Events section. In this section alone there are several write-ups from people who have wheeled stock and other brand lifts with solid reviews at each stage. Personally if you don't plan on going any bigger than 33's I would get the tires first, then rocker and underbelly skid plating. This alone really wakes up the potential in these rigs. After that it is a even trade for the next step, bumpers or a lift. Doing protection before a lift saves all that vulnerable stuff on the underside that may leave you stranded with or without a lift.

FWIW I wheeled my rig on 305/70's with sagging 285,000 mile suspension with the armor and no lift for a long time. The front coils were about 1/2" off the bumpstops. It went everywhere I wanted and then some. After the lift the same trails were much easier, just as I figured they would be, but the on road comfort is what really blew me away. Cornering on the other hand.....

Thanks green73. Yes the 33in tires are very tempting as I may be tempted to take this 80 on some good trails in the future. So can someone answer this question for me: Will 255 85 16 tires increase my highway MPG? and by how much? Also how effected will my city mpg be? Will it drop significantly because of the larger diameter wheel? FyI: I will be running All Terrains, most likely Goodyear silent armor.

Outdoort, I'm sure glad you started this thread as your questions are the exact ones I have been contemplating asking. I am in the same boat as you regarding funding and modifications. Not to highjack, but what about 235 85 16s? Would they be too narrow on an FZJ80?

I just put the OME 2.5 heavies on my 94 and paired them up with the Doetsch shock. The ride has surprised me. Very nice ride, more firm than stock but far from harsh in my case. I currently have 275/75 16 Michelin LTX M/S that have a lot of tread left, 13,000 miles on them.

I am getting Cooper Discoverer S/T's in 255/85 16's this Thursday. I tow a boat and load with gear some and went for the higher load rating of these over the Michelin's. Plus I really like the looks and advantages of the tall skinnies. Lots of threads on this and expedition outfits choose this size over any other for all around performance.

So far, I am really loving these 2.5 heavies. I think shocks make all the difference in ride with these springs. It lifted it quite a bit though, probably more like 3" in the back or more. I do have an ARB winch bumper in the front and plan for heavy bumper and swing outs on the back.

As far as the Coopers go, the 255 is ever so slightly taller than it's 285 cousin. The 255 is a diameter of 33.2 and the 285 is 32.9 I believe. Also, made in the USA which is another reason I went with the Cooper. Most of the Michelin's are too as I understand it.

I will be selling the Michelin's after I get these coopers on. Good luck, half the fun is the planning and the build.

KB

Last edited:
I doubt you will get the answer you are wanting on the tire size and it's effect on fuel mileage. There are too many variables to consider. What is the condition of your engine and transmission? What altitude are you at? Are you re-geared? If you are not re-geared, you'll have to do the math to calculate your tire diameter percentage over stock and then figure that into the actual gallons at fill-up. That being said I am guessing you'll actually lose 1-2 MPG. Even with a good baseline and all the other tricks, I don't think anyone here has broken the 15-16 MPG barrier consistently with a 1FZ-FE powered FJ80. About the only thing you may be able to do to increase MPG after lift and tires is serious weight reduction, which doesn't match with a naturally heavy brick shaped expedition rig. Driving style has much to do with this too. Driving like there is a Faberge' egg under the pedal and maintaining the speed limit goes a little ways but only just so far.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage you though. Search here, and put what you learn to use.

I just put the OME 2.5 heavies on my 94 and paired them up with the Doetsch shock. The ride has surprised me. Very nice ride, more firm than stock but far from harsh in my case. I currently have 275/75 16 Michelin LTX M/S that have a lot of tread left, 13,000 miles on them.

I am getting Cooper Discoverer S/T's in 255/85 16's this Thursday. I tow a boat and load with gear some and went for the higher load rating of these over the Michelin's. Plus I really like the looks and advantages of the tall skinnies. Lots of threads on this and expedition outfits choose this size over any other for all around performance.

So far, I am really loving these 2.5 heavies. I think shocks make all the difference in ride with these springs. It lifted it quite a bit though, probably more like 3" in the back or more. I do have an ARB winch bumper in the front and plan for heavy bumper and swing outs on the back.

As far as the Coopers go, the 255 is ever so slightly taller than it's 285 cousin. The 255 is a diameter of 33.2 and the 285 is 32.9 I believe. Also, made in the USA which is another reason I went with the Cooper. Most of the Michelin's are too as I understand it.

I will be selling the Michelin's after I get these coopers on. Good luck, half the fun is the planning and the build.

KB
Thanks, Let us know what you think about your 255s. Post a Pic.

Outdoort, I'm sure glad you started this thread as your questions are the exact ones I have been contemplating asking. I am in the same boat as you regarding funding and modifications. Not to highjack, but what about 235 85 16s? Would they be too narrow on an FZJ80?
Well I'm thinking that they would probably work well if you run the stock suspension or something close to it. I think I would personally go with a 265 75 16 but I have very limited experience with these 80s and tire sizes. Looks like we both have similar questions regarding tire size vs. lift.

I doubt you will get the answer you are wanting on the tire size and it's effect on fuel mileage. There are too many variables to consider. What is the condition of your engine and transmission? What altitude are you at? Are you re-geared? If you are not re-geared, you'll have to do the math to calculate your tire diameter percentage over stock and then figure that into the actual gallons at fill-up. That being said I am guessing you'll actually lose 1-2 MPG. Even with a good baseline and all the other tricks, I don't think anyone here has broken the 15-16 MPG barrier consistently with a 1FZ-FE powered FJ80. About the only thing you may be able to do to increase MPG after lift and tires is serious weight reduction, which doesn't match with a naturally heavy brick shaped expedition rig. Driving style has much to do with this too. Driving like there is a Faberge' egg under the pedal and maintaining the speed limit goes a little ways but only just so far.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage you though. Search here, and put what you learn to use.
I understand that these 80s are not meant to be fuel efficient hybrids. I just want to maximize fuel economy to the best extent poss. while still retaining a good off road rig. My engine and trans are running great. Just bought this 80 a week ago and it needs new tires bad. I haven't calculated mpg because I haven't driven it more that 200 miles so far. :meh:.
Basically all I'm hoping for is a slight mpg increase highway with the 255s and a minimal mpg decrease city driving. If the 255s give me something similar to that, then the 255s are already bought :D

I understand that these 80s are not meant to be fuel efficient hybrids. I just want to maximize fuel economy to the best extent poss. while still retaining a good off road rig. My engine and trans are running great. Just bought this 80 a week ago and it needs new tires bad. I haven't calculated mpg because I haven't driven it more that 200 miles so far. :meh:.
Basically all I'm hoping for is a slight mpg increase highway with the 255s and a minimal mpg decrease city driving. If the 255s give me something similar to that, then the 255s are already bought :D

synth fluids wherever possible. engine running top notch. crank your tire as high as you can bear. change your driving habits. dont accelerate to a stop light. try to time your approaches to traffic lights so you dont have to come to complete stops. accelerate from a stand still very smoothly. keep it at 60. better yet, keep it at 55. use cruise control. remove spare and 3rd row seats. remove roof rack.

i do most of that, and net approx 13 city mpg. thats with 4" lift, HEAVY 35" trxus tires, front bumper/sliders and stock gears. thats pretty much the best youre going to get. doesnt matter what kinda tires are on there...its everything else thats going to help you out.

255s i think they look way too dinky on the 80 series. especially if its got flares which it most likely would. id go 285 bfg ATs or GY dt's...and leave it stock height. that said...255s are also taller than 285s, so even if they're narrower, they're actually taller than a 285 and im willing to bet there wouldnt be ANY difference in mpg's.

Here is a thread on tall skinnies (255). https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/376342-pic-request-255-85s-w-2-5-lift-flares.html I have always preferred the classic and retro look of the tall skinnies.

I also took my flares off as it exposes the classic Land Cruiser lines and gives even more to the retro look for me. Plus my brackets were rusty and all kinds of crud was behind the flares. The 255's look great without flares in my opinion.

And some have indeed noticed slightly better mph with the 255 over the 285. Less rolling resistance. The expeditions west thread that was posted earlier is also a great read.

Last edited:
Thanks green73. Yes the 33in tires are very tempting as I may be tempted to take this 80 on some good trails in the future. So can someone answer this question for me: Will 255 85 16 tires increase my highway MPG? and by how much? Also how effected will my city mpg be? Will it drop significantly because of the larger diameter wheel? FyI: I will be running All Terrains, most likely Goodyear silent armor.

I switched from stock michelin 275s to 255s with a stock suspension. There is about a 6% variance in circumference, so you need to figure that in your mileage calculations. (if your odometer reads that you drove 100 miles, you actually drove 106 miles) If you are running highway miles, you will probably see even or maybe a slight gain in mileage, but not much. If you are running stop and go city traffic, I would expect mileage to drop slightly.

I did the swap at about 210K miles, so my engine is not running peak power, I did notice a slight power loss on hills, but outside of that, I love the tall skinny 255s. If budget is a factor - they are a lot less expensive than 285s and even stock size or 265s generally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom