what year chevy power steering gear box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what years work and have the same bolt as what come with the complete kits for saginaw steering? the PO installed saginaw manual steering, and i want to upgrade to PS on this 2f i am putting in.

thanks

*most* of the power steering gears on CJ's till about '80, had the four bolt, four turn gear box in them, along with many fullsize GM vehicles pre 75.

I have always looked for the number "76" to be in the casting on the bottom of the gear housing, they have worked well for the many PS conversions that I have installed.

Good luck!

-Steve

If you stumble across a sag box from a J-20 pick-up grab it. They have the 3 1/2" piston and the same bolt pattern and housing shape. Gives more steering power from the same hydraulic pressure.

Here is a useful link to a site that helps ID Saginaw boxes. (And they sell them)

If you stumble across a sag box from a J-20 pick-up grab it. They have the 3 1/2" piston and the same bolt pattern and housing shape. Gives more steering power from the same hydraulic pressure.
I believe that this is rhe appropriate reman J20 box at Rockauto....the most difficult thing I found was ensuring I got all 4 bolt holes. Now that I am doing another conversion 10 years later, I am doing a bit more research and finding it easier to locate the preferable box.
Screenshot_20201024-105456.png

Saginaw series 800 gear box, 1977-earlier 13/16-36
Saginaw series 800 gear box, 1978-newer. 3/4-30
Even if gear box has 4 mounting holes, you can use only 3 of them, on some years/models GM used a 4 bolt box with only 3 bolts actually attached ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom