What would the rust situation look like on a 97... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
from New York? Buffalo, exactly. Was looking at an 80 for sale in Buffalo, and just wondering if y'all (I'm in So. Carolina) could tell me what to expect rust wise. &nbsp:Do they heavily salt the roads up there?

Re: What would the rust situation look like on a 9

I live in MA near the ocean. I have a 96 with 108k with little to no rust at all except for the axles. If the truck has been garaged its whole life you can expect about the same probably.

my 80(1996 w/49000 miles)supposedly came from the new jersey area(car fax report)and when off lease was bought by a dealer in northern va...

only rust on it is around the trailer hitch and the rear upper hatch(only real problem area) here is the pic:
Rust%20spot%20repaired.jpg

my friends and i speculate that upon assembly of the rear glass,the "rope" or string that was used to install the glass window,may have pealed away some of the paint there and subsequent years on the road caused the area to rust.
dealer wants 500.00 just to repair that little area!!!!

a friend and i scraped it clean and used por-15 to stop further rust,and also the nasty stain that kept forming after every rain/snow..
i dont notice it a whole lot now,since the rusty place is turned to black,so its ok,for now.......

no other real issues with rust but that one.......

doug

I used to live in Syracuse (not far from Buffalo), and can tell you that they salt the dickens out of the roads up there in the winter. My first LC was a '74 40 which I had bought on Long Island. After five years in Syracuse, there was nothing left but the rust, and I used to wash it weekly to remove as much of the salt as possible.

That being said, there is a world of difference in the way toyota weatherproofed the 40 (they didn't) vs my current LC. I now live in New Jersey, and while they don't salt anywhere as much as in Syracuse, I can only see a bit of surface rust on parts of my frame--but none on any of the body parts.

If you're buying an 80 from Buffalo, I'd check it out real good from underneath, and check out the engine area too--you can get some rusing around the radiator and a few other spots around the engine.

Better yet...buy one from Arizona...

Tom

Or New Mexico. :G
-B-

If your buying a New Mexico rig, watch for silver tutone 97's.
  They are THRASHED HARD. People who have them dress funny. :ugh:

Green 93's are generaly PUFFS. :G

I am FROM Buffalo --

-- I would avoid that car like the plague -- the salt mixture on the streets is like a slurry up there in the winters --

-- it's miserable, and cars rust out a lot faster -- unfortunately... :tear: :tear: :tear:

e

You'll know if it was my '97. There would be a hint of coconut fragrance on the inside and the outside and the engine bay are pristine. Besides, you would have to pry my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel. :G

-B-
(With a penchant for, how did landtank Rick put it? ..., gay fragrance.)

You'll know if it was my '97. There would be a hint of coconut fragrance on the inside and the outside and the engine bay are pristine. Besides, you would have to pry my cold, dead fingers from the steering wheel. Ê:G

-B-
(With a penchant for, how did landtank Rick put it? ..., gay fragrance.)
LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom