What would cause this to fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was in Death Valley last week on a 7 day trip and on day 4 all four leaves of my trailer springs broke in half. They broke right in the middle where that center bolt goes through. I didn't loose the axle, but the trailer almost tipped over and it bent my hitch a little. I was able to find a pair of springs which have 5 leaves and look more stout. Now I at least have one spare for future trips.

Dustin
271665590_5NGmE-S.jpg
271405888_6XveH-S.jpg

I have heard of springs failing due to heat on washboard roads. Could be that, could be over in weight, could be bad luck, or a combination of all three. Glad you are okay and you could get back on the road.

Rezarf <><

I'm going with Age and fatigue.

Post more details of what you were doing at the time...
How long were you driving for, thinking heat.
How much weight?
Big woman in a roof-top tent;)

Post more details of what you were doing at the time...
How long were you driving for, thinking heat.
How much weight?
Big woman in a roof-top tent;)

You were all most right. Roof top tent with family of five.;)
225225447_u3V79-M.jpg

You sure you have enough shackle length to allow the springs to go completely flat? If not, the springs "bottom out" while still curved, instead of going flat or reversing, and this can and will break them.

Take a string and run it along the top of the spring from above the eye center to above the eye center.

Then tape one end down above the eye center.

Pull the string tight.

Now check the shackle swing to see if it will intercept the string. You can simulate a shackle with cardboard, using the bolt centers as the pivot point and arc.

If the shackle will not reach to the end of the string, you need longer shackles.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow in the light.
Dustin

ds100, very very cool trailer. How about a few more detail pics when you get around to it. Did you make it? I haven't seen anything like it before. I bet the 100 pulls it oh, so nice! :D

Glad you are back on the road, and I appologize for making comments about your families weight ;)

Sweet trailer for sure.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom