What was Mr. Yota thinking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
We changed the oil in the 99 4runner today for the first time and switched it to Mobil 1 5-30W. Spent a while looking for the oil filter. Can't see it from the top and couldn't see it from the bottom until I removed the skid plate. Did a search and Yota tech and there is a flap in the wheel well that you put your hand through to reach it. It's not talked about in the owners manual and I have not found a FSM for it yet.

Guess I'll ask CDan how much an FSM is.

Just seemed odd that it was so hard to find. Kind of like they were done with the engine design and then said, of shoot where should we put the filter. Then they put the engine in the truck and said, oh shoot, better cut a hole in the wheel well.

I believe the flap is just the splash guard they use to hide the engine, it's not specifically for the oil filter. The only way to access the filter on my 2nd gen is to unbolt the skidplate.

The best filter location I've seen is the new tacoma, it's right on top and it even has a little funnel to catch the dripping oil.

Yup... it brings the suck. Time to install an Amsoil remote by-pass filter kit!!!

My 00's inner fender flap was mutilated by a quick change place, I caught them, and they denied it.

I think I changed my own without having to do that though, but I have the arms for it.

The PO took it to Grease Monkey and I was able to take off the old filter by hand. I put a Toyota Filter on and was able to sinch it on. (1/4 turn past hand tight). Had to run the wrench from down below.

The through the wheelwell thing is definately the easiest way. You can change the oil without removing the skidplate, but make sure to hose it all out when you're done. They puddle up in the skidplate a bit. The new 05 tacoma 4 cyls suck to change the oil in. It's up high on the passenger side, but it screws in from the bottom. I've been taking it out from the side and letting it just drop to the floor. The first couple times I got absolutely covered in oil taking the filter off. But the new V-6 is right up top and super convenient. Go figure.

check e-bay for FSM. I just got both Volume 1 and 2 fo $125 shipped. A bit pricey, but LIke NEW condition.

Might try the filter relocation kit. try changing a starter. It is a PITA as well, and you will definately be going for the OEM one so you won't have to do it again!

First time I changed the oil in our Taco I was pissed.. once I found the thing it was a royal PITA to get a wrench on it. But now that I've done it a couple times I must have figured out the trick, because I don't think it's that bad now. I was all hot & heavy for a filter relocation kit for a while but that seemed to pass.. it's a pleasure when you change the oil on a truck that you were the last guy to change the oil on, you know?

It's realy not that hard to pull the skid plate off, just a few 12mm bolts that hold it on. And since there is no KDSS to worry about you have easy access. Heck, i'll show ya whenever we get together to do the CB ;)

on my dads 97, through the splash guard on the ds...kink the steering all the way to the left...but those little tabs are so easy to lose/break/not hold..now use those binder clips from work..yeah they rust,but does the job...

Seems like once the filter is removed, you have to gingerly take it out of where your arm went in through..what a freaking pain....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom