What type of cable to you run on your winch? (1 Viewer)

What type of cable do you run on your winch?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Rather than posting a question asking which cable is best, I thought I'd try a poll to find out what actual choices 200/570 owners have made. Feel free to add opinions or reasons for your selection.

Currently using Warn’s OEM steel cable (125’ x 3/8”) on my M12000.

Looking to swap to synthetic, however, so definitely watching this thread!

I currently have both. I prefer synthetic all other things being equal, as it's lighter, easier to handle, and "safer" in a worst case scenario. That said, a properly cared for and carefully used steel cable can be just as safe. Steel Cables are used day in day out in many applications that are much more demanding than recreational winching. (Think tow trucks, cranes, industrial hoists etc. to name a few)

On my 200 I have a Badlands 12000lb winch with some sort of synthetic cable installed by the prior owner. I've used it a few times and it has done fine, but it is looking a bit worn.

On my 40 I have a Warn 8274 with a build date of 1987, and a steel cable that's certainly almost that old. The winch was used in the timber industry before I got it and rebuilt it. I inspected the whole cable and found no damage, respooled it, and would trust it without question. I looked at replacing with Synthetic, but the price on 150' of 3/8" synthetic was prohibitive, considering I had a perfectly good steel cable.

My Tacoma has a need of a winch, and I'm trying to decide between steel and synthetic. FWIW, the weight savings seems a bit overblown, as you're looking at MAYBE 35lb savings. Even a Tacoma isn't really going to notice 35lbs. I'll probably go synthetic, but a steel cable wouldn't really hurt my feelings either.

No issues after 4.5 years & quite a few heavy pullls on the syntjetiv line that came with my Warn Zeon12-S Platinum.

Will be adding a Zeon 12-S (Synthetic) this weekend hopefully. A little less weight and safer if it snaps.

Last edited:
I went with synthetic because (a) small weight savings, and (b) less likely to kill someone if it breaks. It's also easier to field repair synthetic, and synthetic doesn't rust or corrode like steel - an important point for me where my winch cable gets exposed to road salt all winter.

synthetic .. but I'm not convinced it better than cable. I need a longer anti-chaffing sleeve /protector/shield.

Last edited:
Steel also has more potential to poke you with stray strands. Still wear gloves, but it's no fun to get poked.

synthetic .. but I'm not convinced it better than cable. I need a longer anti-chaffing sleeve /protector/shield.

Of course “Better” is always a slippery term. “Better at _____ but maybe not _____” works though. :)

I went synthetic because i felt it was a lot safer should there be a failure during a heavy pull. I was present for a cable failure (with a undampened cable) and the damage it did to a nearby truck was impressive.

Add on sleeves are available with and without velcro closures.

Thanks .. I'll see if I can find some velcro ones .. vs wind the whole cable out and back in just to install a sleeve. Be nice if they were wider than the end loop!

This is the part is do not like .. sliding the cable across rocks or even logs steel is fine but the synthetic will fray and go bad quickly.

Thanks .. I'll see if I can find some velcro ones .. vs wind the whole cable out and back in just to install a sleeve. Be nice if they were wider than the end loop!
Check with your local welding or hydraulic shops. Another source is used fire hose, just say'd it's out there.

I was thinking about that and I just shipped out my last pallet of used fire hoses cleaning up my shop !

I have a whole bunch of them from some folks that purchased a fire engine for burning man and didn't need the hoses.

This is the part is do not like .. sliding the cable across rocks or even logs steel is fine but the synthetic will fray and go bad quickly.
It is advisable to rewind and inspect your cable annually at the minimum they say, that's what a friend told me.

Thanks everyone. I was expecting the poll to favor synthetic but not by as much as it is. The only down side I see for synthetic, ignoring cost, is that it seems more easily damaged than steel when in use. I get the "safer" argument and agree that is true theoretically, but I wonder, in the real world where people don't use or properly maintain their gear, how it actually bears out. Being sensitive to abrasion and UV are not great features given the intended use. There are pros and cons like anything else.

For those of you with synthetic, have you had to replace or repair your rope? Do you unspool and wash it after every use when you get home and off the trail?

In a moment of impulse rationalized with “ go big or go home” and a couple mouse clicks, this arrives on my door step today.

2D76FF04-90B8-436C-8BD2-AFA848A6145C.jpeg

You don't mess around. While you're clicking, grab a Factor 55 fairlead and hook to round out your install.

You don't mess around. While you're clicking, grab a Factor 55 fairlead and hook to round out your install.
yep. already feel the momentum sending me down that path...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom