What type/brand of grease?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed greasable shackle pins and checking to see what everyone is using. Thanks

mine are going in tomorrow, I was planning on using standard multipurpose lithium grease.  I think the only place that a special grease is needed are the birfields=moly grease.  Other than that grease is grease right? :dunno:
Oh yeah this brings me to another applicable question-should I grease the pin and bushings prior to installation? I forgot to order greasable spring pins for the opposite from shackle side of the spring.

I think the only place that a special grease is needed are the birfields=moly grease.  Other than that grease is grease right? :dunno:
Oh yeah this brings me to another applicable question-should I grease the pin and bushings prior to installation? I forgot to order greasable spring pins for the opposite from shackle side of the spring.
You got me started: grease is definately not all the same. Some grease is far superior to moisture and wide temperature ranges that occur on cruisers. personally I'm a fan of the synthetics. When you go to all the trouble to do all this work on something like a cruiser why not use the best products available :beer:

I use marine grade stuff everywhere....u-joints, birfields, shackles, etc. My stuff tends to come apart frequently, so no long-term experience, but I've yet to replace a u-joint EVER so it can't be all bad....

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/colemans.storefront/en/catalog/1036

Scroll to the 15 gallon pail of Mobil Synthetic grease. Normally $200+.... you can buy it for $15. Sure, it's 8 years past the printed shelf life, but there's no base oil separation, nor any drying/cracking. I've been useing it w/ very good results... that would be no "lube related failures".

Could I use that grease for everything? Ie Birfields? I've got a sneaking suspicion that my birfields are empty, cause when i got the cruiser they leaked a little, and now they aren't at all. That would be nice to have a nearly lifetime supply of grease for $15.

Even at $50 total, its still considerably less than buying it by the tube at the local Ace, and it seems to be better quality grease, and as long as your grease gun is capable of suction filling your all good. :D

Truck drivers have to grease everything before almost every trip. They use some kick ass synthetic. I got some off a buddy and it lasted way longer then the cheapo stuff from the corner parts store. Very important with all the water and mud around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom