What Tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They stock Toyota 4 speed auto is a great trans, but not sure about hooking it up to all your other shtuff, and since you already have a Chev engine, why not add a Chev trans, if you decide to go auto. I love driving a manual around town, especially in a car or two wheel drive truck. For a trail rig, I prefer auto. As far as the Chev auto's, the 400 is probably the better, strongest trans. It will take the most power of the three. The TH350 is a good reliable tranny too, if you don't have a butt load of horsepower in front of it. I would take either of those two over the 700.

at this point I dunno if a th350 or th400 or 700r4 is even possible for the toybox.... According the marlin site it says in one section that it'll bolt up with the right adapter but in another section it says it shares fluid with the tranny.... Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt atf fluid in the toybox eat it up?

I have no experience what so ever with the Marlin units, but with the stock chevy units they t-cases are married to the trans and do share fluid.

I stand corrected... Just got off the phone with the marlin guys. I just need to and adaptor for the front of the toy box to make it work... Now I just gotta a figure out th350 or h41.

atf is mild enough to run in most anything......there are some oem applications where atf is used in standard transmissions. same goes for most of the domestic aluminum t-cases.

Well with the automatic won't you be in for more money? You already have the bellhousing that will work for the H41/H42, the Toyota H41/H42 transmission to toybox adapter, and the H41/H42 transmission output shaft.

With the automatic you have to get a different bellhousing, toybox adapter and output shaft? Maybe not just trying to help you debate. Who knows you might be able to sell the toyota stuff and get the stuff for the automatic transmission for pretty cheap.

I figure selling the old adapters should cover some of the cost of the new stuff if I decide to go auto... I kinda like the idea that not many people have done this set up, makes my 60 kinda unique. However, that also makes it more of a pain in the ass.

here's my theory on what setup to run as far as doublers and low geared t-cases go:

AUTOS: doublers are nice. that way you have the option of low and extra low while still being able to retain the automatic upshift function of the trans.

STANDARDS: one sinlge low geared t-case is really all you need. since you don;t have to take off in first like you do with an auto, you can always leave the t-case in low and take off in 3rd gear.

all this changes if you put a manual valve body in an auto of course.

Almost 100% on the th350 or 700r4 but is the output shaft on the h41 a 19 spline?

Between those two....350!!!!!:bounce: My dad has been in the trans biz for 30 years, and I grew up around tranny shops. The 700 wont hold the power, torque, or rigors of hard off roading as well. Not saying the are a "terrible" tranny, I just think the 350 is by far stronger, and cheaper, both to purchase and repair.

Wouldnt you have to use the output of your trans anyway?...
I like the manual trans better you'll have more control, otherwise I go the th350,
unless your putting big number horsepower in front of it (more than 400hp it'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom