What Tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cascadecruisers.com
I didnt get a whole lot of response (none to be exact) in the Hardcore section so I thought I would post the question in here too. From the Hardcore section:

I knew DDing my 60 would catch up to me at some point... on the drive home tonight my stock 4 speed started getting worse and worse. It went from a loud whirling ( its steadily been getting louder for months) to clunking now which I believe is a sign that its on it last legs. I knew it was coming so its not a huge deal....

Anyway the real question here is what to do now? I was planning on buying a commuter car so DD wont be an issue anymore. What do ya think? 700r4, TH400, TH350, SM420, stock 4? This is going behind my 95 TBI 5.7 and in front of my 2.28 toybox and split Xfer case. Opinions? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Heres some ramblings from my head..

From what I understand most of the harcore guys miss the the stock 4 speed once they swapped in a 420 or 465 because neither of those trannys shift all that smooth. that and they are pretty much 3 speeds. h55 would be sweet by making it to the trail in record time.

Im not really a fan of an auto but if you do get one I would image getting one with out electronics would make life easier, I believe the 700r has nil on the end of elcectronics. If you get into extreme off camber you might have a hard time becuase auto like to have fluid in them :)

my vote and I wish I would have known about this option BEFORE I regeared my diffs. would be the h41...5:1 first gear and smooth shifting on a toyo tranny. also no drive shaft mods to do....

Im suprised more people dont get the h41 over lower gears...its cheaper and you get the gearing of the 5.29s with the strengh of 3.70s..

But thats me....what do I know.

Same tranny aside from the frist gear set being 5:1.....well 4.9somthing somthing:D

The housing is even the same....

PVC cruisers might have one...There is a gear set for sale in the for sale section....buy 4 new bearings and throw the new gears in your old housing, it would prob last ya another 300,000 miles :)....aside from that im not sure, man-a-fre might have one.

I bought my h41 off of pvc cruisers here on mud...

Besides that im not sure....just make sure ya get the one set up for a split case and not a 40 series case....

-Al

I know of a couple of H41's. Not sure of the output shaft spline count. PM my buddy bj40man. Let him know I told you. I don't know what he wants for it though.

..There is a gear set for sale in the for sale section....buy 4 new bearings and throw the new gears in your old housing, it would prob last ya another 300,000 miles :)....
-Al

Not anymore unless there were 2!

I have those gears to convert one of my H42s into an H41 + Orion Combo for next year.

I have been extremely happy with the SM420 in my FJ40, it has transformed it off the road. The shifting is fine, but the split between 3rd and 4th is not in a good place for a 2F. Since you have a V-8 already, an SM420 would be an ideal cheap swap to net you some lower trail gearing, but you will need a different front toybox adapter.

For the original poster, be sure the tranny is truely dead. Often the plastic support bushing at the base of the shifter wears out, and causes all sorts of shifting problems. You can replace it for $5 or so.

the shifting still is silky smooth... Its making a loud and audible clunking sound now in 3rd and 4th gear. This is after months and months of a growing "whirling" sound. Not to mention 1st gear pops out of gear when off the gas going downhill.

If I do end up going the sm420 route I think it'll bolt straight up with the 5.7? If that's true I wont need the adapter I have now that adpats the 5.7 to the H42... that has to have some value that might off set the cost of the toybox adapter?

cough cough H-55 cough cough...

ahhhh, didn't read the part about the marlin (whoops...), although IIRC orangefj45 is doing one? not sure, but I remember reading it somewhere where they changed output shafts to make it a happy combo. That would be more cash though... H-41 sounds cool.

I like my turbo 400 it is way strong and not electronic.

Dynosoar :zilla:

I talked to the infamous "W" here in Oregon at Overthehill. He is strongly pointing me to a auto especially if I am going more toward a trail truck.

I wonder how much I could get for the adaptor from the 5.7 to the stock 4 and the adaptor from the toybox to the splitcase?

did you ever check the fluid level in the 4spd?!

marlin does make and adapter for the h55f to the toy box ;)

yeah... I checked the fluid in all the different boxes and topped them off about a month ago because of the progressive "whirling sound". Unless the fluid is pumping itself out while I'm driving I cant see any evidence of leakage in the driveway.

how much do the H41's go for? sounds like a good alternative for gears...

Do you mean stock 4speed automatic? I don't think there is a way to bolt that auto to the marlin crawler box...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom