What to look for in an 86? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys i think i have found an 86 4runner looks pretty good in the picture i can't see any rust. I think im going to look at it next week.

I was wondering what specifically to look for.

sorry if this has been asked before.

thanks
lunyou

well since i found an arcticle pertaining to this topic i thought i would ask another question. If it has the toyota butt sag how hard is it to fix that(how expensive also).

lunyou

pair of shackles would be cheapest i think... or replace the rear springs

new springs are the way to go, but an add-a-leaf will get you there cheaper.
Dan

how hard is it to do these diffrent procedures. Like the add a leaf or springs? Can i do it in a few hours by myself?

lunyou

Pretty easy, unbolt axles, drop spring packs replace, or add the leaf and hardware and reassemble, air tools help a lot, expect to spend about four hours but it can be done a lot quicker.
Dan

since i don't have a jack or any air tools will it be pretty hard to do it? Though it doesn't appear that it has pronounced butt sag.

lunyou

If you don't have a jack and stands it will make this job very very difficult, add another two hours and busted knuckles for lack of air tools.
Dan

hey thanks for the information. I think my dad has an air wrench that i could use. So ill just have to take it back home to work on. He also has a jack and probably some blocks to use instead of jack stands.

lunyou

Don't do as block! It will increase axle wrap and break down the spring more. Shacle would be easiest, but you wil need a good jack and jack stands

Best way is to add a leaf. But not one of the trailmaster ones thats a curved overload spring. Find a real leafe that fits between 2 of the longer springs. You should have a spring place in your town. or find one out of a pack in the junkyard. maybe 2 wrangelr springs. the're thin and flexy. you will also need new center pins. The stock one wil not be long enough, and they will most likely break.

That brings me to my next sugestion. Watch yourself ass you disasemble the pack. Put a clamp on both sies of the center pin so they don't got flying when you take the pin out. You could hurt yourself if the pin breaks.

You may want to get new U bolts too. Maybe even do a U bolt flip while your at it. This will require relocation of the shocks.

thanks again for all the information. In the picture it didn't look like it had the sag, and im going to see it next week sometime since the owner works away from home for extended periods of time.

lunyou

alot of the sag is an illusion. If you look at the body seam the tops of the tires are close to the same. However the front wheel well is cut out more that the rear from the factory. So it makes people think it is sagging, and amplifies an acualy sag.

well the one i owned a few years back didn't sag a bit. We never did seriously off road it either so that didn't break down the springs but it still had 289000 miles on it and was almost 18 years old.

lunyou

Every stock 4Runner I have seen has butt sag, and it is not an illusion. They generally are riding on the overloads by now. Blocks AND shackles are ghetto when the leafs are sagged.

If it were mine, a pair of Marlin springs would make it onto the rear quicker than ... well ... something really quick. This requires the addition of new spring hangers about 5" forward of the stockers - DON'T panic, it is exceptionally easy to do for the price of a pizza and the formation of a friendship with someone with a welder. What you will end up with is noticeably improved articulation, a nicer ride, and best of all, no sag.

Crank the tbars, or better yet, contact 4Crawler for some ball joint spacers and you should be able to fit 33s with no problem.

well you never seen my stock 4runner ;) just kiddin. It didn't have sag but i really think it had a special package from the factoryl.

lunyou

Well, that is indisputable, I've not seen yours. You probably have the factory-installed helium frame inserts, very rare...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom