What to do with Event and existing Picture threads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I cleaned up the FAQ and made a last section called events. If you want an event posted there for posterity, send us a PM

For Existing Picture threads:
get with the event author or me if not available and lets post links to those threads in post 1 so they are always easy to find

For Future pictures, lets keep these in the event threads as we roll through them and not create several individual picture threads. You can also post them in the picture sticky thread

We know you may, but the establishment doesnt want to end up with multiple individual picture threads after an event. If you create one in the future, bear in mind it may get deleted or moved to the trails section

We appreciate your cooperation

As always, feel free to PM with any issues and concerns. Bear in mind we are volunteers here and may be working our full time jobs, or repairing the plumbing in our house or . . on a wheeling trip :D

Your friendly 200 series moderators

I wish there was a way to create subject sections within the 200 section. Why? Because for many of us...this is a social gathering point as much as it is a technical discussion resource. But...that is distinct from the various other crowds here on the larger mud site.

For example...There might be a great trail thread filled will 40 Series...but I don’t know them...don’t wheel with them (Yes, Ken...I know you also have a 40). So...when threads get thrown into some other forum where 500 non-200 people hang out...the community thing disappears into a sea of folks we don’t know or wheel with.

And ya ya...expand your horizons and all that...but I’m not here for that. I’m here for the 200 section.

Anyway...I Wish there could be sub-forums within the 200 series heading. Sort of like a mini ih8mud...with sections...but all beneath the 200. I suspect other series would benefit too...so just an idea.

The fact that there is just one section that is 200 specific (technical) seems to be something this group has outgrown.

Last edited:
This is just my 2 cents and please delete asap if required. I have a ~20 year career in the M&E/Digital Media space primarily architecting highly scalable platforms for video streaming delivery including a few super bowls and world cups. The end goal of any content provider is to drive traffic to their site for subscription based or advertising revenue. I am not sure what the business model is for this site (if I had to guess it is heavily Ad based). That said you would think that you would want to make your most compelling content (pics/video) easily available for all to consume and not buried in some event page that no-one can find.

If the goal is to keep this part of the forum technical without all of the social aspects, I think traffic to the site will drop off dramatically, but if that's the direction you have from the boss, it is what it is. But, the rules across the different forums haven't been consistently enforced, and I get that too... you all are volunteers with other crap to do.

One option then would be to create a "200 Clubhouse" in the non-regional section so we can have our fun, see the pics, set up meets etc... I'm not really excited about having two places to go, but it's an option. The Clubhouses are not "managed" by Mod's other than whoever "owns" the clubhouse. Better than us leaving Mud for FB to see the kinds of threads that actually drive a lot of traffic... at least if this was my site, I'd wouldn't want people to leave.

We are working on some options, but clear directions is chat threads get deleted. There are others who don't like the chat threads in this section and have commented to management about this being to chatty. That doesn't mean you can't have some good natured banter as long as its respectful and within the bounds of the discussion. Threads that are started as chat like "Going to St Louis where is the best BBQ" would be deleted.

However, we are working on options to allow more Trail picture threads for vehicle specific events so we may have movement there

There will not be any subforums added

First off, the number one competition for MUD is Facebook. And honestly, due to limits in software and revenue differences, the odds are high that FB will win in the long run. I simply cannot compete. BUT, in my opinion, there are many advantages to the forum structure and its capabilities...so let's see what can be done.

So, testing is in process. This affects ALL vehicle Tech forums, not just the 200's.

There is a new Prefix available...you'll see it crop up soon. In the short term, it is a Moderator-only power...ie: @Romer or @beno will need to edit the title and add the prefix. Let's see how that works for a week or two, THEN the option for "the masses" to add prefixes will be added. (assuming all goes well)

Chat is still chat...because of issues over recent months with blatant Chat threads being relocated, and ensuing issues, they will be DELETED...not relocated.

However, the new Events/Trails prefix opens the option to share your offroad travels and images with your peers, and help organized them so you know what to expect when opening the thread.

I'll allow this thread to reopen for a day-two and get feedback...

Remember, this forum is run like any household...you get a vote, but it may not count ;)

More....

Avoiding the Clubhouse option....

Reason? EVERYTHING is monkey see, monkey do....if a 200 cubhouse is added, then a 40 and a 60 and an 80 and a /ad nauseum etc will be demanded too....same with adding subforums....there is SO much going on already, new members get overwhelmed...I get enough emails daily with questions I've answered a dozen times (and are 99% covered in the User Guide, that no one reads...............)

Additionally, we are creatures of habit....once a member visits the Clubhouse, it can easily become the "go to" for all the tech, since a one-stop-shop is what is easiest.

My feedback is I really like this option a lot. Thanks for considering and coming up with something that at least I think will work really well.

Good stuff!

So, the Events/Trails prefix shows above the thread list, with a (#) behind it....

click it...I dare you....

One prefix option is dumb.

<Builds> is now an option...again, Mod only until we iron out any bugs....

SUGGESTION: Report your Thread to have a prefix added. The Report text is easy to spot in the first post on desktop, and is "hidden" being the 3 dots menu ... on mobile devices.

Thanks woody

we went through and tagged all the build threads in the FAQ. If we missed yours or it wasn't there, let us know and we will tag it

Thank you Ken Beno and Woody for your time and consideration. My original post was just an attempt to think about options that might help keep this a thriving gathering point of 200 drivers. Technical...yes, but there are so many worthy elements that go into a thriving community with the common thread being the 200.

As for Facebook... I literally suspended my FB 4 days ago. Too intrusive... I didn’t delete it...but it’s turned off for now.

Last edited:
Ooh... I just clicked on the new @Builds” and “Trails/Events” links at the top.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One click, and BOOM! There all the event-specific threads...and build threads. I LIKE IT.

Really like it so far.

Curious about something that might really please both camps...

Disclaimer: If this little tweak is difficult...forget it. ...

Thinking of those who had the other viewpoint... I wonder if there’s An easy way to hide tagged threads if a person wanted to. That way, for those who no likey...toggle them in or out of the main forum thread list.

Again...just thinking from the other side of the coin. Not a qualm...not a gripe! Just thinkin. :) :) :) :)

If it’s NOT easy...forget it. But if it is? It might be pretty neat TOGGLE for some. Like a basic filter.

But anyway... I like it!

That doesn't seem worth the effort to me Mark

If someone doesn't want to see them they could skip them in the normal pain and never select one of the tags at the top

If you toggle off prefixes then they would not see anything in Classifieds . . . . . just sayin. Then we would get all kinds of messages on how people can't see things that are tagged and can we make the filter more complex so they can chose the tags and then there will be lots of help how to use the filters. Of course there will be those that will have filtered and then can't remember how to unfilter.

It creates a lot of discussion about something that most people don't even know what it does, like a snorkel :D

If it’s NOT easy...forget it. But if it is? It might be pretty neat TOGGLE for some. Like a basic filter.

Don't push it ;) ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom