What to do...What to do... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

New member, but long time viewer who needs alittle help.

Long story short. I bought a jeep TJ Sahara in college as a fun project and as I fell down the offroad/overland rabbit hole I came across Landcruisers, the 100 series in particular, and was hooked. Almost %100 sure this will be my next purchase as I dont believe in getting into a new car payment and need a new car ASAP(because showing up to work as a post grad in a lifted sahara while wearing a suit just doesnt seem appropriate, nor is driving a 5-speed manual transmission in big city rush hour traffic exactly fun).

So here are my options....

Option 1:Guy down the street from me is selling his 2005 LX470 with 105k miles...1 owner with all service records since new and serviced at the toyota dealership fairly close to my house. It looked immaculate from a far, however once I went to take a look at it I was alittle dissapointed. The guy has three kids who are all grown up now, so the car has been a hand me down to each one when they began driving, so basically the interior was beat to hell. Paint scraped and messed up in areas and I found a accident on the vehicle report (He says his daughter was texting and rammed another car, however no airbags deployed). I test drove it and thought "well it drives great", but then again I drive a jeep on Mud Terrains. I offered the guy 11k cash for it and he said no go, but I'm pretty sure I can it for 14k.

Option 2: Older man that lives on my girlfriends street is also selling his 1-owner 1998 landcruiser (in white, love the white ones) with 244,000 miles. I called him on the phone and he was unfortunately out of town, however he answered any questions I had. He said it has been serviced regularly and that I could go take a look at the exterior atleast until he got back in town. Went to go look at it and felt as though it was much more solid than the 2005 (door handles for example were very loose on the 2005 but very tight and new feeling on the 98'). He is selling it for 6k but I'm sure I have alittle room there to barter.

SOOO BASICALLY, what route should I go? Should I shy away from a landcruiser with 245,000 miles?
Also, I hope to keep it for a long time. My dad has a fear of flying so he doesnt travel much and has never been out of the country. I dream to one day take him on a road trip from where we live in florida down to like patagonia or something.

Any ways, thanks for reading and anything helps. Really hope to be on this forum more in the future.

I would buy the LC!! 6k is cheap if it's in good condition. spend a few thousand and baseline it. Drive the wheels off of it. At 245k is kinda high however these were built to go 500k. So look at it this way for 6k you get a land cruiser that's still got many many many years left in her

WOW you guys replied fast. Really appreciate the input. I agree that the logical move would be to buy the newest LC, but at close to 15k im getting close to my budget limits. On the other hand with the older model, I thought hey if I get it for a great price I can drive it to the wheels fall off and MAYBE replacing the engine would still be significantly cheaper than jumping 14k in before even baselining...either way, thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

I look at it from the point of "what's the cost of major driveline repair, i.e. Engine/trans." Then factory in how much you would have in it. At 6k even if you had to replace both those you still will be in it under 10k.

If that's your only options I would go with the newer lower mileage one as long as maintaince has been done. The little stuff can be fixed. But I agree with ton504 to a certain degree . Don't settle for only 2 choices . Take a little time and find one that you really like. If I knew how much I would love mine I probably would have spent a little more and bought a lower mileage one , and it's a very good rust free vehicle with great service records, I really want it to last a very long time....

I was thinking the same thing, it was more contingent on how well the 98' will drive when I go test drive it. If it drives great than I would consider it if the owner was willing to negotiate. Other then that, to the internet to see what I can find in my area!

As a lifted TJ owner (I still have it and I occasionally drive it to meetings while wearing a suite;) ) I will say either Cruiser will blow your socks off. Of the two options, I would lean towards the '98 as it sounds like it has been pampered all 244k miles (and doesn't have AHC) while the '05 probably experienced the harsh reality of teen drivers. I also like the side of simplicity and the '98 is non nav, non ATRAC/VSC with a locker. That said, Cruisers are tanks and both would probably last a lifetime and take you to Patagonia and back a few times.

I bought my one owner '99 a year ago for $6k, with 246K miles on it. This was my first Toyota and I had no idea what I was getting into. It had a comprehensive service history but I still did about $1k in baseline maintenance and general repairs myself (not including a few modifications and new tires). Now it is quickly approaching 270K miles and I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country tomorrow, despite its high(er) mileage.

Since you are coming from a Jeep, the 98 will be comfortable for you, and easily updated. You will not have to worry about the NAV, AHC, and ATRAC on the 05 LX. The 244k miles is not a problem if maintenance has been done as indicated. It is easier to modify the 98. The pricing is good on both models though. The rough treatment of the 05LX is a concern on interior and exterior. Compare the way the two drive on varying surfaces. If the test drives are similar and the repairs and cleanup look like things you can handle yourself on the 05 LX, then I would tend to go with the 05 LX. The 5 speed and VGRS steering are nice to have, and I like the ATRAC and AHC for traveling wherever. It also has the backup camera. Check for rust on both - that will do them in long before either wear out. Beware of "low mileage" vehicles that are being sold in the south but came from the north. It is still an individual choice - I have test driven newer LXs than my 01 that did not ride as nicely nor look as nice - which convinced me to stay with my 01 even though I was in the 200k club. I would not be surprised if you found the 98 to drive and feel better than the 05 based on the relative care each has had.

Option 1:Guy down the street from me is selling his 2005 LX470 with 105k miles...1 owner with all service records since new and serviced at the toyota dealership fairly close to my house. It looked immaculate from a far, however once I went to take a look at it I was alittle dissapointed. The guy has three kids who are all grown up now, so the car has been a hand me down to each one when they began driving, so basically the interior was beat to hell. Paint scraped and messed up in areas and I found a accident on the vehicle report (He says his daughter was texting and rammed another car, however no airbags deployed). I test drove it and thought "well it drives great", but then again I drive a jeep on Mud Terrains. I offered the guy 11k cash for it and he said no go, but I'm pretty sure I can it for 14k.

Option 2: Older man that lives on my girlfriends street is also selling his 1-owner 1998 landcruiser (in white, love the white ones) with 244,000 miles. I called him on the phone and he was unfortunately out of town, however he answered any questions I had. He said it has been serviced regularly and that I could go take a look at the exterior atleast until he got back in town. Went to go look at it and felt as though it was much more solid than the 2005 (door handles for example were very loose on the 2005 but very tight and new feeling on the 98'). He is selling it for 6k but I'm sure I have alittle room there to barter.

SOOO BASICALLY, what route should I go? Should I shy away from a landcruiser with 245,000 miles?

So basically a newer, lower miles but beat to hell vs older, higher miles, serviced regularly, more solid vehicle? To me it is option 2 all day. Option 1 is 14K plus whatever maintenance stuff needed, lets say $1-2K, probably more than this considering it is beat to hell, so maintenance is probably beat to hell or worse. I know you mentioned all service record since new, but is that just oil change? How about timing belt or other more expensive service? Usually when someone do not take care of the car, the maintenance is also poor.

With option 2, it is cheaper, and you got a lot of $ to play with - even with new suspensions, etc, you still under 14K (cost of option 1). If it is truly well maintained, it should not need anything right away. 244K is not a concern imo. It is known that these cars are pretty bulletproofed, IF maintained. Do a search here with high miles LC.

Mine is a 98 with 220K - still drives solid btw...

Last edited:
I also agree with getting the newest that you can afford. My first one was a 1992 LC in 1996. My eigth one is a 2006 LX and definetly the best in every way.

Option 2, but that's just me. I love a bargain and purchased mine with high mileage but was a business vehicle and serviced like you wouldn't believe! And the price was FANATASTIC.

Not that the 2005 is a bad thing but kids learning and the damage from them having daddies car to drive to school, friends, drinks, you know the deal.

I'd be partial to a LC w/out AHC but that's me. Pretty sure it's standard on a LX.

But if I saw it in person and believed things could be remedied with some TLC I could be swayed.
Especially if the service history is there.

Either way let us know what you got and remember....

IMG_0870.JPG

questions to ask yourself.
Are you mechanicly inclined?
Do you have a good mechanic.
My experience is these are very stout vehicles, and relatively easy to work on. $8000 buys an awful lot of parts for these trucks.
I prefer cars that are well taken care of, and continue maintaing them, however once a car has been beaten on, its more expensive to make that one right.

I will add my 2 cents, either one of them you buy ask yourself do I have another grand for maintenance ? Pick the option where you will, or have money left over for repairs when they come, or upgrades when you want them and higher gas prices when they come back...

Get the 98 for $5000. It has a rear locker and non-VVTi engine.
VVTi engine has a special way to replace the cam seals and is not easy for DIY guy.
I have a 2000 with 222K miles and did a trip to Tampa 3000 miles round trip. All has factory seals and not a drop of oil lost or burnt by the engine.
I spent about $1700 to get timing belt, CV axles, shocks, tires etc., done (all by myself) and now has a very reliable truck.

Ok, so been looking around and alittle thrown off. Lots of LXs and LC's from dealers within 200 miles, most of them have relatively low miles (132-180k), but when I check the Vehicle history report they appear to have spent most of their lives in places like New Jersey(So I'm thinking rust). Found what appears to be a beautiful 80 series on craigslist with 160k miles for 5k( I'd say its my favorite body style even though I know the 100 is probably the better choice for my needs. As far as myself, I would say I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Ive worked on my jeep(things like brake pad swaps or oil changes) with the exception of things like re-gearing and axle swap. Definitely more mechanically inclined than most other 23 year-olds I know( I think I have two other friends that can drive a manual, most probably couldnt point out a radiator if I asked them too....Kinda scary....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom