What to bring back from Japan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brother and family are off to Japan for a few weeks and I jokingly asked that he bring back some parts for the truck. Then I got to thinking....

So, aside from big stuff like engines ;), what would you ask for from Japan (say stuff less than US$100) for your truck? Can one of our listers based in Japan suggest any good sites to browse (even if it's in Japanese)?

Cheers, Hugh

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=12124;start=msg110900#msg110900 date=1077808833]
http://www.magazo.jp/caption/backnumber/5000240.html

Land Cruiser Magazine is pretty cool and would be easy to transport.

[snip]

[/quote]

Yeah, I got either the dec issue of Landcruiser magazine, has an article on what you need to do to lift an 80 series (big lifts, like 4-6"+). It's similar to what's on SleeOffroad's website, but you can buy all those suspension parts aftermarket from various makers, probably 2-3 dozen brands available. Unfortunately, parts are pricey. I've found that OME stuff is 2x the US price.

Better yet, I'd highly recommend the Landcruiser books. It's more like a thick magazine (200 pgs), paperback. There is a volume 1 & 2. I got both. It's from a series of books on various models of vehicles, talks about their history, engines/specs/years they were made. Best of all, they have many pages on JDM accessories sold and their list prices. A lot of the stuff is pure bling...different front grilles or dashboards, Lexus emblems, HID conversion kits, four rectangular lamp headlight kits like the ones you see on Oz 80 series rigs, suspension components, engine chips to defeat the speed limiter and devices to adjust the speedo for different tire sizes, turbos, intercoolers, etc.

Then features a bunch of readers' rigs and mods they've made. One guy has a full ARB-modified, white FZJ105, reverse-imported from Oz, like the one on the ARB poster. Of the vol 1 & 2, I think vol 2 is better, has more stuff on more recent rigs. IIRC, they are 2000 yen each. Also got the hilux surf one, too.

How about the hinge for the middle row seat that allows the seatback to tilt back? I think they are around US$60.

I can use a pair.

John

Thanks for the replies. Are the magazines and 'books' in english? I'm assuming they are for all LC, not just 80s? I thought about stickers as well - TEQ, or maybe those tire covers with 'Land Cruiser Ruler of Nature and King of Beasts' kind of thing ;)

Cheers, Hugh

"Land Cruiser, the Climax of 4 wheel drive"

I'd love to have one of those stickers.

-B-

[quote author=CDN_Cruiser link=board=2;threadid=12124;start=msg110989#msg110989 date=1077814949]
Thanks for the replies. Are the magazines and 'books' in english? I'm assuming they are for all LC, not just 80s? I thought about stickers as well - TEQ, or maybe those tire covers with 'Land Cruiser Ruler of Nature and King of Beasts' kind of thing ;)

Cheers, Hugh
[/quote]

4X4 Magazine has international edition printed in dual English/Chinese. They also print the massive 4X4 catalogs and the Landcruiser book.

John

[quote author=97 FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=12124;start=msg110984#msg110984 date=1077814308]
How about the hinge for the middle row seat that allows the seatback to tilt back? I think they are around US$60.

I can use a pair.

John
[/quote]

I know there are at least a few different makers for those hinges, and you can get them for 70/80/100 series, but IIRC, they're more like 12,000 yen list.

The LC books/mags I have are all in Japanese. You can get them from the large bookstores like Yurindo.

Yep the Japanese mags. Maybe some Cruiser toys, and some Cruiser lit............please send to me ;)

I'd love to have on those tire covers. "land cruiser the climax of 4wds" I even looked into getting one made. For 35 and up tires they are spendy.

The magazines are in Japanese but a lot of them are in partial English. They are facinated with English. That is why they come up with those crazy tire cover sayings.

A T shirt might be cool too! I have one from Japan that says "The Cruiser Room: A spot for Land Cruiser Freaks" It has some little Japanese animated folks in front of a FJ62.

[quote author=ginericfj80 link=board=2;threadid=12124;start=msg111029#msg111029 date=1077818531]
I'd love to have on those tire covers. "land cruiser the climax of 4wds" I even looked into getting one made. For 35 and up tires they are spendy.

The magazines are in Japanese but a lot of them are in partial English. They are facinated with English. That is why they come up with those crazy tire cover sayings.

A T shirt might be cool too! I have one from Japan that says "The Cruiser Room: A spot for Land Cruiser Freaks" It has some little Japanese animated folks in front of a FJ62.
[/quote]

It's because English text/phrases, esp. in advertising, is perceived to be "cool." Now that doesn't mean that the phrase makes any sense or that people can understand it.... The LC magazine does have these fancy cigarette lighters available for 30,000 yen. And I noticed in the back of my Dec LC mag there's an ad by a shop in the Tokyo area that specializes in reverse imports...they list the 100 series w/ V8 w/ 5spd manual (5.5 million yen), 105 series w/ 1HZ or 1FZ engines w/ optional diff locks (4.5 million yen), 78 series w/ diesel/TD/I-6 engines w/ optional diff locks, (4.1 million yen) all available in left or right hand drive. Now how about that...they do exist from sources other than TGS. :)

www.engrish.com shows how into using the English language the Japanese are. Enjoy...

[quote author=Jim_Chow link=board=2;threadid=12124;start=msg111054#msg111054 date=1077821939]
It's because English text/phrases, esp. in advertising, is perceived to be "cool." Now that doesn't mean that the phrase makes any sense or that people can understand it....
[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty funny to read some of the stuff written in English. Not much of it makes sense. When I was in Japan last September, it looked like French was starting to become the "cool" language. Lots of stuff written in French.

As for what to get in Japan, I think sales brochures would be cool (and free probably). My wife is in Sapporo right now (so I get to drive the LC everyday -woohoo) and I think I will have her pick up the sales brochures for me.

Tom

Jim can you post the addresses for any stores from your magazine in Tokyo or Kobe that might have cool stuff. I may be in Japan mid march for a few days but I will not have a lot of spare time to sight see.

Good morning!

Hugh,

I have just got (through auction) a copy of the Land Cruiser issue of Hyper Rev(usually a mod/accessorizing magazine for sports cars). Although it is a few years old, many bookstores still carry them and it costs "only" 2000, new(I paid 1000).

Also just received the 2nd-row seat hinges through the auction as well for 10500(about $100), used. I'm afraid that they cost something like 16,000 to 19,000 yen new.

Also 4X4 Magazine publishes 1000-page parts catalogue annually this time of the year. It should be out next month. I would highly recommend getting your hands on that if you (or anyone else) can. Although the shipping cost to the US would be a killer, if anyone is interested in getting them I would try to help you out.

Hugh, if you want me to get any stuff for you and just ship them to your relatives while they are here I would be happy to do that for you as well.

Yahoo Auction should be a good place to start for any used/new LC stuff, including manuals and old LC magazines and such:

I have to get ready for the day and take my son to school, etc... so I'll post just one link you get after doing a search with "Land Cruiser". I can do a more "refined" search and post the links, such as Land Cruiser in the Vehicle catetory, in the Wrecked vehicle category, Parts catetory, Publication, etc... if anyone is interested.

In the past sometimes the link I've provided did not work, but hopefully this will:

http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp...auccat=26318&acc=jp&f=0x12&alocale=0jp&mode=1

To move to next page(s) just click on the link with the number "50" on the right hand corner(on top and bottom: "Next 50").
It should keep you busy for the rest of the evening browsing and drooling?

I, too, have checked out the "Engrish" site recently when my ex-roommate from San Diego let me know about the site. It sure was funny, but my English students had to have them explained to them as to why they were funny;)

Anyway, let me know if I can help or the link doesn't work.

mot

translate using bablefish, works great.

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=12124;start=msg111214#msg111214 date=1077836878]
Good morning!

Hugh,

I have just got (through auction) a copy of the Land Cruiser issue of Hyper Rev(usually a mod/accessorizing magazine for sports cars). Although it is a few years old, many bookstores still carry them and it costs "only" 2000, new(I paid 1000).

Also just received the 2nd-row seat hinges through the auction as well for 10500(about $100), used. I'm afraid that they cost something like 16,000 to 19,000 yen new.

Also 4X4 Magazine publishes 1000-page parts catalogue annually this time of the year. It should be out next month. I would highly recommend getting your hands on that if you (or anyone else) can. Although the shipping cost to the US would be a killer, if anyone is interested in getting them I would try to help you out.

Hugh, if you want me to get any stuff for you and just ship them to your relatives while they are here I would be happy to do that for you as well.

Yahoo Auction should be a good place to start for any used/new LC stuff, including manuals and old LC magazines and such:

I have to get ready for the day and take my son to school, etc... so I'll post just one link you get after doing a search with "Land Cruiser". I can do a more "refined" search and post the links, such as Land Cruiser in the Vehicle catetory, in the Wrecked vehicle category, Parts catetory, Publication, etc... if anyone is interested.

In the past sometimes the link I've provided did not work, but hopefully this will:

http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp...auccat=26318&acc=jp&f=0x12&alocale=0jp&mode=1

To move to next page(s) just click on the link with the number "50" on the right hand corner(on top and bottom: "Next 50").
It should keep you busy for the rest of the evening browsing and drooling?

I, too, have checked out the "Engrish" site recently when my ex-roommate from San Diego let me know about the site. It sure was funny, but my English students had to have them explained to them as to why they were funny;)

Anyway, let me know if I can help or the link doesn't work.

mot
[/quote]

Maybe the old "cut and paste" would work with the link?

Later,

mot

Mot and others:

Thanks again for the suggestions. The literature sounds like a good idea and something that they can probably pick-up and transport home for me without too much problem.

Are these the kinds of things they can find in large bookstores, etc? I'll do a bit of on-line browsing and if needed, Mot, I'll fire you a PM.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

Here is the link to the 4x4 Magazine and its annual parts catalogue(from last year). This year's issue should be out sometime next month, maybe when your fam is here(I believe 2,200 yen, or about $20US):

http://www.4x4magazine.co.jp/sp/mag_sp_4x4guidebook2004.html

As I said before, it's close to 1000 pages(I think) and has a lot of cool stuff, not limited to the 80 or LC, for that matter. Worth a look.

Also this is what the Hyper Rev magazine I was telling you about looks like below. You should be able to find one in decent sized book stores, new, for about 2,000 yen, I think:

Too bad you are not the one coming, eh? I think I still could make an arragement for a factory tour at the near-by Toyota plant that manufactures Surf/4Runner, Lexus cars, Prado, etc... Maybe some other time ;)

Anyway, let me know if I can help.

:cheers:
mot

The LC book I was referring to is the one in Mot's pic. That was what I called "vol 1," which is actually vol #39. The other one is Landcruiser vol 2, which is vol 78 in that series. Vol 2 seems to have more up-to-date accessories (eg, vol1 doesn't have any OME suspension stuff while vol 2 does). Then there's the monthly LC magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom