What Soft Top / Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to buy a new soft top w doors for a 74 fj40. Is there one that is better / stronger / more weather tight than the others? What about easy to put on / off? Options for door use / pockets / windows? Visibility? Noise? Thanks a ton. Have a great day.

I have had a bestop for a number of years. It never fit correctly. I have re installed it twice. It is drum tight but never seems to seal up. The doors are a joke. I have no proof but I think the top shrinks over time. (6 yrs). I have installed and run the Kayline fastrack. Seems much better but more expensive IIRC. It was easier to install and easier to put up/take down. But still not really correct. I also have a factory softop. It is 100 thousand million% better then the others. There is no comparison. It seals up better than many hardtops. Easy to roll up, not as easy to take off/put on. Harder to store in the truck. I will never have another aftm softop. I would buy a factory top and bows from pakistan and be done with it. It will run $300 or so more than the others but is worth every penny.

A buddy of mine has a Bestop and says it works fine. I've ridden in it a few times and thought it was a bit noisy. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my 45 removable hardtop.

bestop sucks...had a kayline fastrac, but it wouldn't fit over my cage. it did seem more durable than the besttop though. a guy in my club donated his cruiser to specialty top (who bought out kayline) for a while so they could modify the top and he's thrilled to death. i, personally, am awaiting my pakistan top (love the classic top lines) and planning to redo my cage if need be.

I second the bestop statements. Mine really sucks, waiting for it to fall apart so I can order Ehsans paki top, around $600 I believe, maybe Ige knows for sure.

I just installed a Specialty Top Company (formerly Kayline) top a month or so ago. I like it alot. If you go with this one though, don't get the tinted windows. Makes night time driving difficult. Especially when it is raining. It isn't completely tight, but I have never heard of an aftermarket top that is. This is my first experience with a soft top, so take that into concideration as well. Also don't buy directly form the company it is alot cheaper through other sources. I saved llike $100 going through a distributor. Hope this helps.

I've got a Best Top Tigertop from SOR (apparently different from the others). The material and windows are good and thick, however the velcro around the door posts just doesn't cut it. I am probably going to get some snaps to install in addition to the velcro and use my hard doors, then I would have no complaints. The soft doors suck on the highway, but I'll probably use them when wheelin muddy trails to keep mud out, cause they don't rattle like the stock doors do and are much easier to remove.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably bide my time and try to find a OEM. David's OEM top is worlds away nicer than my Bestop.

I also have a Best top with doors, I've never been very happy with it, the doors are a major PITA to open, the stitching is coming out. CruisinGa, the velcro is a joke, it simply doesn't work. I have driven the cruiser in a few heavy rain storms and everything inside stayed dry with this top. A friend had the Fast trac with the stock FJ40 doors and he couldn't get the doors to close, I'd go with an OEM or one of the Pakastani tops, unles you find one of the others for next to nothing.

Where would I find a a factory soft top (could be a vary obvious and stupid question) but I have been doing search engines and come up blank. The guy in Pakastan sounds like the best bet - at this point I am just looking to keep the beats drivable (no hard top) during winter and maybe in a year get a really nice top.

I drove my 73 with a Bikini top for 18 months. every day! I would look around for used tops. Around $350 or so for a good top is OK. OEM softop frames are almost impossible to find. I have one and, no, it is not for sale. If you want to bad enough and have the skills Pin Head die a report on CCOT on how to make your own frame. Very cool! Even harder than finding the frame is the canvas. AFAIK, there is no one in the US either making or importing the canvas. I have one of the last POS kayline replacement tops. A billion times better then the other but still a POS. The guy in pakistan can be found on pirate. He sells aftm softops and bows. Price is around $600 but shipping can run as much as $300 ea! I have been trying to work out a bulk deal with him for a while. Hit me with a PM if you are interested in getting in on it but it is VERY sketchey right now. Look at the SOR bikini top with the back portion that goes behind the seats. Works fine with hard doors. Wont really seal but it does stop almost all wind and rain. Dress warm!

If you're looking for one of Ehsan's Pakistan soft tops, I got one coming in next week. I'd ordered it months ago before I sold the 40. It's tan and I need to sell it since I have no 40. PM me if you want info. Haven't put it into the classifieds yet.

Do you have a link to Ehsan's top?
There was thread not to locng ago on LCML regarding the top and it had a few minor changes he was to make. Do you know if the changes were made? I think they were the strap buckles and the initial fit.

He's made a number of changes to it. All good.

He is always very responsive and will go out of his way to help you out. He's given me some good info on the Skardu region of Pakistan since I'll be going over there.

For those of you who are/or have used aftermarket soft tops (best top, kayline, watever), do they seal well enough to keep rain out at highways speeds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom