What size Anderson plug for winch disconnect? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What size Anderson plugs are you folks running on your winches? I'd like to set a pair up to act as quick-disconnects. I'm not sure what size wire my winch uses (I think it's 2 gauge, will measure when I get home). I see that the SB350 for 350 amps only works with 1/0~4/0 gauge wire.

And the SB175 is the one that would work with 6 gauge to 1/0. But this one is rated for 175 amps and a winch can draw a lot more. Is the SB175 plug safe to use on a winch??

SB175
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/sb175-sb-series-175-amp.html

SB350
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-powerpoles/powerpole-sets/sb350-sb-series-350-amp.html

Which winch? HP/Current draw etc.

I personally would NOT run an anderson (or any connector) for Winch current loads. Much nicer to use a Blue Sea marine switch (or similar, designed for HIGH current) and use that to disconnect power to your winch.

Blue Sea has various marine switches that can deal with switching 'output' from 1 or 2 batteries (depends if you have a dual battery setup in your vehicle - and it would be nice if you added some info in your sigline).

I've run Blue Sea marine switches in both my 4wd's and never had any problems with them - they work, they're reliable, not awfully expensive, very nicely sealed and designed for HIGH current.

cheers,
george.

I wouldn't run less than the 350. I had them on my last rig with 1/0 cable so I could mount winch front or rear. Also had a Blue Sea switch to de-energize both circuits when not in use. They are plenty, just make sure to properly crimp and solder! Oh- and if you get the colored rubber covers, they fade badly in the sun. Let me know if you need one- I am not using them on this rig.

The 350a should fit your needs.
George, these Anderson PP connectors are not designed as switches, they are inline connectors used to physically disconnect large conductors..."quick disconnects"

The 350a should fit your needs.
George, these Anderson PP connectors are not designed as switches, they are inline connectors used to physically disconnect large conductors..."quick disconnects"

Yes, I know exactly what an Anderson connector is and that it is a 'connector'... Since the OP never stated the winch he's using, we don't know the stall currents involved. For a large winch those can easily be in the 500+ Amps. That is not something I would run through a 'connector'. He wanted a disconnect, and a Blue Sea marine switch is perfect for that function and that is the question I was answering.

cheers,
george.

If you were really worried about it how about welding cable disconnects.

Sorry for the late answers. Thanks for your replies.

The winch I have is rated at 6.5hp and can draw up to 540 amps under a 12,500lb load. At 8,000lbs (closer to my FJ80's weight) it will draw up to 330 amps.

I do plan on using a Blue Sea 9003e switch so I can shut off power to the winch when not in use. But the purpose of the Anderson plug was to have a quick disconnect if I ever need to remove the bumper, remove the winch, etc. That way I don't have to remove the cables all the way up to the battery. The Anderson plug would also give me a quick access point to attach some jumper cables.

So with more info on my winch and its amp draw, is there any issue running an SB350 plug? And is it fine to use with cable smaller than 1/0?

If I remember right, I used the existing 2 gauge on the 350 connector to the winch. I still used the proper connectors for the 350, but added extra copper wire in the lug and crimped and soldered.

Now that we're all clear on what your needs are ;) ...For jumpstarting and winching duties the 350a is okay. If you would prefer, Bulldog and other manufacturers make some rated at 500a. Know that they aren't universal, and what fits Ramsey and others doesn't fit Warn. Every major winch manufacturer makes a quick-disconnect using the same style connectors, so these waters have been sailed before and deemed safe. Btw, it's expected that a winch is going to routinely see loads that far exceed the weight of the vehicle being recovered. I'd expect your winch to see 500a easily.

Last edited:
If I remember right, I used the existing 2 gauge on the 350 connector to the winch. I still used the proper connectors for the 350, but added extra copper wire in the lug and crimped and soldered.

Ah good to know! Think I may give that a try.

Now that we're all clear on what your needs are ;) ...For jumpstarting and winching duties the 350a is okay. If you would prefer, Bulldog and other manufacturers make some rated at 500a. Know that they aren't universal, and what fits Ramsey and others doesn't fit Warn. Every major winch manufacturer makes a quick-disconnect using the same style connectors, so these waters have been sailed before and deemed safe. Btw, it's expected that a winch is going to routinely see loads that far exceed the weight of the vehicle being recovered. I'd expect your winch to see 500a easily.

Thanks for the info. I checked Bulldog Winch and see they only have one up to 350a, and they want $94 for the set :censor: WTF is it made out of?!?! :bang:

http://bulldogwinch.com/quickconnects.php

It's also worth flagging that the 350 amp rating of the anderson SB350 powerpole series connectors is a continuous rating, the new spec sheet on the Anderson Power Products deletes the relevant table, however the previous spec sheet is still available on http://www.nooutage.com/pdf/Andeerson-SB350.pdf and gives the current capacity vs. duration chart.

So with 1/0 cable, the SB350 should be good for 500amp current for something ~1 minute.

Reviving an old thread here. I recently bought a Come Up Slim Seal 9500 Winch. I know @Box Rocket has one as well. The max amp rating is 380 Amps. It appears the SB350 is the way to go here. BUT the wiring that came with the winch is 2 AWG and the smallest the SB350 will take is 1/0 - What do you all think here? Should I just use the SB175 with the 2 AWG connector? It seems the SB350 is only rated for higher amperage when using larger wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom