what shovel do you carry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of these (track shovel) and a collapsible snow shovel seems to cover my bases. The Track Shovel is great for rock-laden dirt. The narrow tip works well for digging out confined spaces.

TRUBDDS14.jpg

A free one

This depends on the terrain, but for general vehicle recovery (excluding snow) and fire pit tending I carry a long handle pointed blade shovel. Long handle shovels are best mounted on the outside of the truck. The long handle is the easiest on the back and the pointed end can pierce hard ground and lever up rocks.

A short D handle shovel is a total back killer and useless for digging hard ground. Flat blade shovels are for moving loose material and not for digging hard ground.

The small folding shovels may look cool, but I found are useless for serious digging (way too short and floppy and end up killing your wrists). They are maybe good for digging an emergency pit toilet, but if you have a long handle shovel you will tend to use that.

Agreed. If you have the space a long handle shovel wins the day. Those E-tools are good in an emergency and I suspect they are well regarded because craftsmanship was actually involved and they were made before china was flooding the market with cheap but shiny pressed steel tools. If you know you will need a shovel bring a long handled forged steel variety.

cheapy folding shovel for pit duty where allowed, king of spades for other duties. wood and fiberglass handles don't hold up well if kept on the outside of the rig and i don't like muddy shovels inside;)

Army surplus folding shovel. Space is tight in the 40.

I have a Home Depot special strapped to the front of mine but its just there for show.

Gordys01-26-13679_zpsaab6f3db.jpg

I have a short D-handle but I also carry a mattacks. The mattocks head has an ax blade on one side and a digging blade on the other. Both tools are strapped to my jack which sits behind the seats bolted to the rear wheel wells.

Polish military T handle model made in 1943. Stripped the original paint and cosmoline off of it, treated the handle with boiled linseed oil and the blade with wax.

Attached to my roof rack when I'm traveling, stored in the workshop when I'm driving around town. It gets a couple coats of new BLO every year.

I get a lot of compliments on it.

Does anyone carry the 8 in 1 rugged rescue survival kit from iron man? Looks pretty cool and it is stainless steel. Just wondering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom