"What should I mod first?" — let's discuss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't see dual battery or "more battery" (lithium) on here. For me this was my 4th mod after tires, sliders, compressor. I know I know... You can bring a jumper but if you run a fridge or just care to make 100% sure you can get home (running solo with the family for example) a jumper isn't going to help you if your battery won't take a charge since these trucks won't run on alternator alone.

So * base line

1- RWs with 285/70
2-Bull Bar
3-Level it
4-Roof rack / drawers
5- other of 4
6- Rear bumper/ mod
7- sliders
8- winch

If more wheeling than over landing I would put the sliders and winch at 4 and 5 and slide everything down. The level would become a lift. For me that and a rack aren’t happening as I spend too much time in SeaTac parking.

So * base line

1- RWs with 285/70
2-Bull Bar
3-Level it
4-Roof rack / drawers
5- other of 4
6- Rear bumper/ mod
7- sliders
8- winch

If more wheeling than over landing I would put the sliders and winch at 4 and 5 and slide everything down. The level would become a lift. For me that and a rack aren’t happening as I spend too much time in SeaTac parking.
How many people are you traveling with? Interesting load out. Bull bar so you can have a winch?

My recommendation for others is:

1) sliders
2) work on your driving skills

Everything else will follow when the time is right.

Have fun, but don't confuse enthusiasm for capability.
It's not a competition.
As long as you are having fun, exploring nature, and finding your own limitations and shortcoming, but then bettering yourself from new found talents, then it was a great build.

For me, I want to keep stock ride and performance...upgraded tires to BFG KO2 in stock size and added ARB sliders. That's all i am gonna do for my type of off-roading. Fortunately, LC is more capable than my courage.

Depending on what your goals are, it seems like this could vary a lot. For me, tires were the first and immediate mod to every land cruiser I've ever owned (nearly every vehicle, actually, factory tire choices generally suck). Second on the list for every vehicle has been all-weather floor mats (pick your poison, I prefer Weathertech). For what I do, aftermarket sliders, skids, and suspension would have been the most logical #3, 4, and 5. The rest of the stuff I did was largely unnecessary, although I find the rear storage incredibly useful, and I get a lot of value out of little things like the (BJowett) oil filter, (BH3D) cup holder, and (Budbuilt) shock protectors.

Last edited:
My first mod was skid plates and sliders.

Your plan looks like mine did originally.

Last edited:
Great thread!

The stock skids are probably fine for most people, so I would say that 80% of owners really only "need" good tires. Many will not even require ATs, but OEM tires are largely useless, even on high-standard FS roads.

The side steps are a problem, but in the LX, if you are in danger of damaging the side steps, you are likely in danger of tearing up your bumpers as well, so....

I know l lot of people get by fine without one, but one of the most utilized mods (if not the number one) for me is the roof rack. It would have been hard for me to live with the OEM setup and even adding the extra length of the LC rack wouldn't suffice for how we use ours.

Another factor in what mods you prioritize is not just the difficulty of the terrain, but also how you travel. If you always travel in a group with other rigs, you may do things differently than if you travel alone.

When we go on trips, it is just me and the wife and our two kids. We tend to get pretty remote. I may not ever use all my mods to their fullest extent (ie a winch), but I am not willing to risk going without them these days. I am also not willing to moderate my travel choices because I lack confidence in my rig. I'm too old to not take a road because my vehicle can't handle it.

It's a really interesting thread and @tbisaacs has presented a nice graphic way to see the spectrum of mods.

In my mind, some of the mods add immediate visual panache e.g. bigger tires, wider stance, light bars, winches, roof racks, roof top tents. I mean they certainly serve a purpose but they have immediate visual impact. They say this is not an ordinary vehicle, it's a purpose-built offroading/overlanding machine.

Some other mods don't have much of a visual impact, such as onboard air, storage drawers, lockers, auxiliary fuel, auxiliary batteries etc. Vehicles equipped with such features do not appear to be different from other cars. They don't stand out. They are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Some gravitate toward one kind vs the other and some toward both. In the end, it's mainly about personalization and not all about overlanding and conquering every trail possible.

Last edited:
1) Tires. Go straight to 33”. No need to first get tires in the stock size.
2) Rock sliders. Get those before a lift.

The stock recovery points on the front are fine. For the rear, get a recovery point that slides into the tow hitch.

1) Tires. Go straight to 33”. No need to first get tires in the stock size.
2) Rock sliders. Get those before a lift.
My amazement that I couldn't buy sliders for my LX for over 2 years will never end. Glad there are a couple solutions on the marketplace now!

My response is similar to Taco2cruiser above. Taking the new platform and paying $2000 (or whatever it is these days) for 2 days with someone like Bill Burke, Nena Barlow, John Marshall etc will yield more for your money than just about any mod on that list. Once you become familiar with the limitations (which you will in aforementioned weekend) then start understanding what you really need. Training is the first mod I recommend to new folks (hell and seasoned folks). This is particularly true for a seasoned wheeler that is going from a pre-ATRAC MTS to a 200.

Recovery points.

The stock front recovery points are fine. I replaced mine, but that was more about buying jewelry than any real need. Something like this for the rear and you're done:

9451.jpg

Agreed. The stock recovery points are capable and don't need upgrading. In some ways, stronger too as they don't create leverage against the frame as some aftermarket units do.

For the rear, there is a recovery point on the passenger side frame rail. A basic hitch pin in the receiver can work for straight pulls. A hitch shackle as you posted is a great addition though.

As someone with an extended warranty and a family of 5 which 3 kids 6 and under. I use my car for multiple purposes. Adding to it will of course be all the fun things. I think what best suits our family are the biggest KO2 ATs that i put under the truck. Then next 2 mods will be roofrack then slider. The roofrack will allow me to get more carrying capacity and allow me to get a big awning. The sliders will give me the protection i need. Then will come the front bumper ARB bumper with recovery points n winch. Atleast that's the plan, but this 97 ford f350 project is stealing all my money

It seems there are certain affinities to the mods. A mindmap would be a good fit to look at the groupings and dependencies.
Like gears enable weight or tires and encourage lockers which enable aggressive muds + body lift

Bull bar so you can have a winch?

Animal strikes, couple of the back roads I take to fishing and hunting places are litter with deer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom