What should I know about a BJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Considering this BJ60 that’s for sale near me. Guy gave me the run around last time, but think we have that ironed out.

Question for the group: What should I know about a BJ60 that is different than the FJ.

Are the engine parts harder to come by than the 2F parts?

Other considerations with the diesel I should be aware of?

He is asking 19k, is that a fair price for a BJ? (I will obviously negotiate).

Something’s fishy…. 19 k for an original paint bj 60 from Canada….. Scam is my 2c

Let's see the ID plate under the hood. My money is it's an FJ60 with a Canadian BJ60 drivetrain swapped in. Not a bad thing, and I just did the same thing with an HJ60 drivetrain and it turned out really well. But no need to cover it up, so why do it?

EDIT: Plus BJ60's were never available with a turbo from factory.

With that bit of information I would say the original paint claim may be bogus unless they went back and just added all those turbo decals after the fact.

Decals are not original.
Do you know how easy it is to get 3b parts now a days? I like the idea of having the turbo diesel, but worry about repair and parts issues. I read everything else is standard FJ stuff. Just not the engine.

19k is fair if it’s low KM and in immaculate shape.

Please note- parts for the 3B will be hard to come by compared to the gasoline counterparts.

3Bs are slow, but they can run a long time and even feature sleeved cylinders & oil injectors on the bottom end.

I would rather a 3B than any gasoline engine- I know because I have owned both.

The 3B is a very charming engine and you will love it.

Do you know how easy it is to get 3b parts now a days? I like the idea of having the turbo diesel, but worry about repair and parts issues. I read everything else is standard FJ stuff. Just not the engine.

It’s sort of hard.

Lots of vendors still have parts for them. But any auto parts store won’t Have parts.

I have been able to get every part for mine with a little bit of looking.

Considering this BJ60 that’s for sale near me. Guy gave me the run around last time, but think we have that ironed out.

Question for the group: What should I know about a BJ60 that is different than the FJ.

Are the engine parts harder to come by than the 2F parts?

Other considerations with the diesel I should be aware of?

He is asking 19k, is that a fair price for a BJ? (I will obviously negotiate).
my 2 cents, "run around last time, but think we have that ironed out," i hope a major woody for it isn't clouding your judgment. my thinking is a run around any time is a deal breaker, cuz what else are they futzin' with?

my 2 cents, "run around last time, but think we have that ironed out," i hope a major woody for it isn't clouding your judgment. my thinking is a run around any time is a deal breaker, cuz what else are they futzin' with?
I think he didn’t like the price it sold for at auction. He advertised it for higher shortly after and it obviously didn’t sell for that price. Now he is listed it for cheaper. So we will see.

Speedo is in KMs, so it "could" be a Canadian truck, but don't think I've ever seen a Canuck truck that didn't have at least some rust. Will the owner share the history of how it was offically imported to the USA and now has an appropriate title? Run a carfax on it and go see it in person before handing over any stacks.

Sorry, on closer look, speedo looks to be in MPH, which would indicate a USA truck.

Speedo is in KMs, so it "could" be a Canadian truck, but don't think I've ever seen a Canuck truck that didn't have at least some rust. Will the owner share the history of how it was offically imported to the USA and now has an appropriate title? Run a carfax on it and go see it in person before handing over any stacks.
very much this

i’d be surprised if that was really original paint. it looks pretty nice but the interior is worn pretty hard. still a nice looking truck. just wonder what’s hidden under the lipstick!

ok, i'm a cynical f*&k, to be that clean as a canuck truck, it should never have come out of a controlled environment garage to rack up what, 247k on the odo?

Something is odd- possibly it’s a pig with lipstick on it.

It’s also possible that if it’s imported to the US they would have just swapped the gauge cluster. It only takes 5 mins to do so after all.

Has nobody noticed the FJ vents on the side??

This is NOT a Canadian truck, it’s clearly a 3B swapped rig.

Canadian diesels don’t have the carburetor fan vent; Canadian models have a G instead.

It’s also possible that if it’s imported to the US they would have just swapped the gauge cluster. It only takes 5 mins to do so after all.
Which opens the door to the truck's true mileage. Forgot about those vents - @gimme a 60 is probably right about being a 3B swap.

3B swap in not bad.

However, I think it should affect the value a little bit- for it’s not a true BJ60. This whole 3B swap opens another can of worms - I’m doing one right now, so a few things come to mind.

First of all, interesting that they didn’t mention it was a swap… so this makes me wonder if there are other things they aren’t mentioning.

1) Now, you should be wondering how many KM are on the engine - perhaps it is a LOT, maybe more than the body has.

2) did they 3B swap properly? To 3B swap it’s important that they welded in everything strait & square or you may have some extra stress on the motor mounts - I would worry about one breaking.

Maybe I’m being too cynical, however I Think the consensus of engine swaps often is, once a truck is not longer true or original it becomes “molested”

But, sometimes engine swaps like this turn out awesome and are impossible to tell that it was actually swapped. I saw @georgebj60 2H swapped 60 series, and it was absolutely amazing! It looked great I could hardly tell! Unlike my MacGyver FJ62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom