WHat radiator to run with a 15 psi turbo 22re (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I need help. My radiator in my built 88 4runner with a 22re needs help. I am setting up the propane/Garrett turbo set up for my runner, and was wondering what is the best radiator I can get to cool that heat. 1) can I run a V6 radiator in my 22RE truck
2) can I run a (does anyone know where I can get a 4 core) radiator?
3) Just need some help after searching the internet for about 2 hours, and found nothing.

I am NOT running the factory "clutch fan", I am running the Black magic electric fan, so I got some room to work with.

THe factory radiator is tired, and will not keep up with this set-up, so I figured I would upgrade while everything is down for the conversion

Thanks in advance for your help

The stock turbo 3 core radiator will help you out alot. Radiator barn.com has them pretty cheap, and they are decent quality. I run one with a fresh clutch on my fan, without any more cooling issues.

Also, toss the black magic fan in the trash, it won't pull the CFM's. If your dead set on an electric fan (I don't like the strain on the electric system, and the waste of engine power), put in a 2 speed mid-90's ford taurus fan.

Last edited:
Either the 22RTE (turbo) radiator (that's what I have on the 22R in my 84) or have your current radiator rebuilt with those new high density cores (works great on the hot running Buick 231 in my 83).

x2 on the V6 radiator . . if you're running propane for fuel (no unleaded, right?) the engine should run cooler anyway, well, until you turn up the boost I guess

Use the turbo radiator or any of the automatic 85-89 22r radiators. I have an 85 turbochaged 22re with the stock 9.4:1 compression at 9psi with a maradyne mach series electric fan and haven´t had a problem.

go to your local pick and pull and pick yourself up a radiator outa one of these puppies!
cat-797.jpg

You are correct the electric fan does put a lot of drag on the electrical system. I still have the brand new stock clutch fan on the parts bucket, SHould I go back to the clutch fan (which is really nice, and works VERY well to cool the engine) I ordered a 3 row radiator for the turbo 22re engine last night, But I CANNOT find a Fan shroud that will fit a 88 4Runner, I have check everywhere, I ordered a fan shroud from a place on ebay a year ago, and when I rolled the truck and broke and engine mount, It shredded the shroud, But the new shroud didnt seem to fit right anyways, WIll the pick-up shroud work on a 4runner (I know that is a stupid question) But I had a friend of mine give me a shroud out of a 87 22re truck, and it did not fit..

You are correct the electric fan does put a lot of drag on the electrical system. I still have the brand new stock clutch fan on the parts bucket, SHould I go back to the clutch fan (which is really nice, and works VERY well to cool the engine) I ordered a 3 row radiator for the turbo 22re engine last night, But I CANNOT find a Fan shroud that will fit a 88 4Runner, I have check everywhere, I ordered a fan shroud from a place on ebay a year ago, and when I rolled the truck and broke and engine mount, It shredded the shroud, But the new shroud didnt seem to fit right anyways, WIll the pick-up shroud work on a 4runner (I know that is a stupid question) But I had a friend of mine give me a shroud out of a 87 22re truck, and it did not fit..

I ordered a new shroud from a dealership in boston. I had to cut a few spots to make it fit, but it worked perfect. I think I ordered it for an '86 mini truck with a turbo.

Thanks. I will call the dealership tom.

I appreciate the help.

After many discussions with people (PM), I will be going back to the factory fan clutch system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom