What kind of D smog sorcery is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m neck deep in my Desmog project on my 1987FJ 60. I’m trying to follow the instructions. I printed out the desmog instructions. Here’s what I’ve run into. These abbreviations for valves. Attaching a picture. What I need to know is full name and their location. So far the guide has been a huge help, but I hit a brick wall trying to identify these.
Anyone familiar with this process living in the Midwest?

View attachment 2784558

View attachment 2784560
Dig around on his de-smog thread, he updated it years back with photos of the routing for the vacuum lines. They are all numbered to where they attach, I printed them all and used them to route the lines.

So I did my de-smog project. Kind of a different approach. I removed every single vacuum line, all EGR parts and every valve/switch on the engine (brake booster line not removed). I then installed the Man A Fre block off plates (The smog pump is still installed). I also installed a new E-bay $70 carburetor and capped all open vacuum sources on the intake. Turned the key and it fired right up. Checked the fuel level, it was right on, adjusted the mixture screw and went for a test drive. All I can say is wow! Runs great, idle is perfect and was able to fully open the choke after about two minutes. This is my first Cruiser and I have not owned it long, but it ran like crap when I bought it. A complete tune-up including valve adjustment helped but it had zero low speed power and had to keep it choked for 15-20 minutes before it would run. I will now add vacuum lines for the distributor advance, PVC and fuel vapor canister. Final phase will be fuel injection. Biggest surprise is how well the $70 dollar carburetor runs. Picture is of all the removed smog junk and new carb.

carb.jpg

smog junk.jpg

Pay attention to possible engine pinging at certain loads and rpm. The stock distributor is timed to use an EGR contaminated A/F mixture. Without the EGR system active, the A/F mixture will ignite faster = pinging.

Pay attention to possible engine pinging at certain loads and rpm. The stock distributor is timed to use an EGR contaminated A/F mixture. Without the EGR system active, the A/F mixture will ignite faster = pinging.
Thanks for the heads up I will listen for it. Currently the vacuum advance is not hooked up. I will be installing a new dis with the fuel injection. Then the advance will be computer controlled. Since I removed smog and carb at same time I don't know if the smog or the carb were the cause of the terrible driving issues. Was a foot dance of clutch vs gas trying to get moving. Now it is a pleasure to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom