What is your dream FJ60, what is the goal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There was a nice thread a little while back asking what you would do if you had $8K to spend on your truck. There was also a really great thread that brought buckets of tears to my sentimental eyes asking why you love your Cruiser. On a related note, I'm wondering what everyone's dream fj60 setup would be (or what your setup is if you're already there). What would be the pinacle of your fj60 setup?

I'm curious, and I think this info would be useful for anyone considering doing any mods to their stock 60 (or maybe the stock 60 is the goal??)

I'd have to say my dream cruiser would look a whole lot like Exiled's.....I'm working on it!

I just started to dress my girl up. She (a.k.a Murphy, The Goat) has a ulimate heavy duty ome lift coming with some Mickey's Classic II on some 33's BF KO's.
There's $2500 down. I would use the remaining $5500 to rid it free of cancer and new paint. I just want to cry when my driveway is stained with rust after a rain. But I have no complaints, I bought it for $3600 as a project, but with new u-joints, knuckle kit, wheel bearings, and a rear shock mount I drive it everyday to work.

Life is good!!

Not sure I could do it for $8k, but the Dream Family Cruiser for me is a rust free FJ60 with a fuel injected Chev 350, an H55, OME lift, 34x12.5-16 BFG AT's on black steel rims, ARB's front and rear, lots of armor, and maybe a ToyBox for stupid-low® crawl speeds.

I'd load up the family and drive that thing from here in Vermont, to Mexico, to Alaska, to Moab...anywhere life would take us. The perfect family expedition rig (IMO).

Does it have to be a fj60? How about a 60 series?

My dream 60 series would be Waggoneer's HJ61 with a LHD conversion. Man that would be sweet. :)

I am working on my 62 to get it where I want it. Biggest issue with it is the amount of rust. May just end up being a sweet trail truck. SO far I have done the following:
- 4" Alcan Lift: (2.5" front springs with lift shackles instead of the SR, and 4" rear springs.) 4 Doesch tech 8000 shocks, modified Ford F-250 towers for custom shock mounts.
- 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's (used local) with 15x8.5 w/3.5BS prime rims(Ebay score)
- Stereo from a past car, starting to show its age.
- CB w/3' firestick

Stuff still in the garage-
-Lock right for the rear
-Lightforce Blitz 240's. Yes the HUGE ones!
-Cruise control (not sure if I am going to use it or not as it seems that I wont be commuting much in this vehicle, as my commute to work is 1 mile round trip.)

In the works (within the next few years, or whenever I find a good deal):
- At least partial rust removal. (Some replacement panels as well as cut-out already started.)
- Paint - (Not sure what I am going to do here. I love my current graphic/paint down the side and dont know what I am going to do when/if I put on my rust free replacemnet panels.) Ideas?
- Front bumper - (Custom or ARB) Mig.t incorporate fender bars too,
- Sliders - (Custom, hopefully in the next few months.)
- Rear bumper - (Custom, with 1/4 panel trimming and protection, also will have a hitch for a small lawnmower trailer etc at times.) Ladder/cooler rack swap out or either or?
- Roof Rack - (Going to look @ a full length Tradesman in the next few weeks.)
- Sliding rear windows - Will probably go with the aftermarket from SOR as I have heard good things about them.
- Gears- (4.88 if I ever go up to 35's, but for now I can bear with the stock 4.1's if I decide to stay 33's after a few years then I will go up to 4.56's)

As far as my engine goes, I like the 3fe, dont think I will ever go with e Chebby. Ad diesels are cool and all, but I dont know if I would go with it for the expence. (12HT urggg!!)
Tranny, I like the Auto, especially on the trail. Have owned manual trannies and autos b/f and I swap on which I would rather have. (All the manual trannies have been in V8 Mustangs)
(Ultimately I would live to have a 3fe with the Austailian built tranny behind it. But $ wont let that ever happen so I would go with a used 3fe and tranny if something ever happens to mine.)

Edit: Here are a few pics:
March06106.jpg

March06108.jpg

Last edited:
I'll keep staring at Exiled's 62 until something better comes along!

I want to convert my '88 62 to a 3B Diesel and 5 speed gearbox. I bought my almost rust free 62 for $2500 on this board and still can't believe nobody else bought it before me :)

To clarify, it doesn't have to be an fj60 - any 60 series is ok...

I'd set mine up Euro style. Diesel motor, H55, fender flares, sliding rear windows, body graphics, etc. I'd also love to swap in some rear ambulance doors as I really dig those.

I think I might be over the $8K budget by now :(

I guess that I'd like this truck with new paint and an 1HD-T in front of the 5 speed, extended range tank, custom front and rear bmbers, 4.11s, 16" factory wheels, and 33" tires.

374126.jpg

Sorry, I thought I'd clarified when I posted the thread, but I was in fact 9 sheets to the wind at the time-- there is no spending limit, within reason. The $8K figure just came from another thread that sort of inspired this one.

I'm not sure what "within reason" would translate to, but let's say you are considering getting a new car and you decide instead to spend all that money on your old Cruiser. $20K? $30K? That's still a whole lot less than a new Land Cruiser! If money were not an issue, within reason, what would your perfect 60 series truck look like?

Southbound said:
Sorry, I thought I'd clarified when I posted the thread, but I was in fact 9 sheets to the wind at the time-- there is no spending limit, within reason. The $8K figure just came from another thread that sort of inspired this one.

I'm not sure what "within reason" would translate to, but let's say you are considering getting a new car and you decide instead to spend all that money on your old Cruiser. $20K? $30K? That's still a whole lot less than a new Land Cruiser! If money were not an issue, within reason, what would your perfect 60 series truck look like?

Well in that case...nah, I wouldn't want too much more than what I already listed. I'd probably track down a set of non USA front doors with the bug catchers. Then some paint and I'd be good to go.

ultimate 62

Mine would be a rust free 62 series with power everything that works. An H55f tranny with a supercharged 3FE for a little more power. SOA so I can fit 37's, ARB or detroit front and back with 4.88's. Rock sliders to protect everything. Onboard air system and maybe a cold beverage dispensing unit for camp. A sunroof, nice stereo system. Right now I got a SUA with 5 inches of lift on 33's soon to go to 35's.

I hate to say it and join the band wagon but Exiled would probably do it for me too. Pretty much that exact configuration, US spec FJ62, super duper clean, frame off 100% rust free, probably a dark grey metallic color, good tight weather stripping, probably power windows, full floater rear with ARB's and Chromoly shafts, really good virbration isolation (motor mounts, three point crossmember isolation) and really good and quiet soundproofing... LOL. But even better is that setup but in a FJ55 with those same characteristics. But it is much harder to do. IMO much harder to beat the '70's metal box cruiser style out of a 70's ring than a 80's unfortunatrely... NV4500 sure is stout but the H55F is more street friendly IMO. :(

BigSur said:
I'll keep staring at Exiled's 62 until something better comes along!

X 3:flipoff2:

First of all, I think that most of us would agree that Exiled has one of the greatest looking/performing 60 series, period. I would do alot of the things he has done. Not to copy, but because it works. Although I really want to try a Tourag (sp?) V10 diesel in mine someday....(since you put that $30K limit on there) and if possible, a regeared NV5600 w/ the gears from a NV4500 + a granny low gear. That and a 3" lift and 33's would probably round it out.... maybe. ;)

Blue 60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom