What is the short bed rating for 88 toyo pick up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.destechservices.com
Hi GAS-A-LOT,

If I recall correctly, none of the Toyota mini trucks were rated as 1/4 ton trucks. They were either 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. And, I don't believe that any of the short bed trucks were rated above 1/2 ton.

I did read your other thread to see what you were thinking about doing with this truck. You should check with the California DMV about your plans to make a truck bed trailer. Some states will not allow you to use the truck's drive axle in a trailer build. They require you to replace it with a standard trailer axle.

There are some advantages to replacing the truck axle with a trailer axle.

1. The new axle can have the same lug pattern as the tow rig. This gives you rolling spares.

2. The new axle can be built in either a spring-under or spring-over configuration, depending on how you want it.

3. The new axle can be ordered with electric trailer brakes. You mentioned in the other thread that you wanted trailer brakes.

good Luck, Kevin

Yes....! As with everything... I have progress will be slow... I've had the truck in my driveway for about 3 months? now.. and finally pulled it apart this past Sat. And yes... guess I could go with a trailer 1ton axle? with elect. breaks...? thats what I'm talking about... funny how these bitty trucks had real good payload in a small package... explains their reputation and popularity....

Lots
Try a search here for truck bed trailer or similar - there have been a few threads.
Ive had well over 2000kg in mine, moving house, etc.

Matt

I'm thinking of going the same rout. If i'm lucky enough i would really like an older model with with the hooks right below the top of the bed. if anyone has pics of there pickup bed trailers i would really like some ideas and designes i havn't thought of. the trailer would be used for hauling clay, sand, mulch and a few camping trips a year. I like to pack alot of crap. I guess i could go with a camper top with a roof rack. plus a cool way to maximise the trailer on campots. Most of all i wan't it to look like its TOYOTA.

View attachment 232846

View attachment 232847

View attachment 232848

The Datsun axle has the same lug pattern as the fj60, so I have spares. The frame was sandblasted and powdercoated, but the bed was in not as good shape so I just Duracoated it.....I kept the stock axle and added an Add-a-Leaf to to add some more carrying capacity and just a little more lift (on top of the lifted shackles.

Last edited:
That is one sharp trailer. What are you using it for?

I mainly use it haul all the camping gear; I like to drop it at the campsite that way the gear isn't moving all around the truck while I 4x4 around (the guns stay with me though). It's also useful around the house to haul junk and mulch and stuff. The rolled up canvas top is a 5'x7' and goes over the bed while on the road to keep everything in place (tied down with the hooks I fastened in place.) It trailers great since I retained the shocks, doesn't jump around at all.

thats a nice trailer thanks for posting the pic. I've eyed a few datsuns around here mostly as local landscape. might have to use one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom