1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the inner axle seal made of?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by RavenTai, Feb 29, 2004.

1. RavenTai

RavenTai

I have a grease I want to use for the birfirld repack. So far it looks ok for this application, it is a diester base (group-v synthetic) with an inorganic silicone thickener (Shell calls it Microgel) and 5% molly

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/pdf/AeroshellGreases.pdf

Only problem is it is incompatible with EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) seals, is this inner axle seal made of EPDM? If nobody knows is there someone at Toyota I can e-mail to get an answer?

http://ww2.gtweed.com/chemicalcompatibility.nsf/0/380f0c4298cab1550525673000791f5a?OpenDocument

2. Rich

Rich

The only way to get a defintive answer is to get the manufacturer name and product number off of the seal and then contact the manufacture directly. So, start with new seals, otherwise you are guessing.

You also want to verify that the grease is compatabile with your gear oil, as you know sooner or later that is where it will end up.

Or, just use what's been working fine for the last 40 years or so.

3. RavenTai

RavenTai

did some more reading and EPDM has a poor resistance to all oils so it is unlikely Mr'T used it is that axle seal

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I was thinking about that, too. In fact, the parts I've seen that were EPDM actually had the legend "EPDM" on them in what I suspect may be intended as a precaution, and I don't recall that being on the seals I put in.

DougM