What is that noise?? Now with video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Once the noise was present this morning, I pushed the A/C button while leaving everything else on and the noise disappeared.

OK, so lets suppose your A/C compressor (or clutch) is the source of the noise.

There are a couple of possibilities there:

1. The clutch itself is the problem (bearing going out, air gap incorrect, worn clutch surface).
2. The compressor is on its way out (or already knackered).

In either case, continuing to play with it can only lead to more damage.

IF your compressor (not just the clutch) is beginning to seize...then each time you run the unit...you are likely sending small metal particles though your A/C lines and components (hopefully most would be caught at the TXV).

So...best to stop using the A/C until you can have someone look at your vehicle.

Sounds like a a/c compressor going south then.

Revisit. I took it in to my mechanic...he works with everything. He said the AC compressor looked pretty new and that he oiled it and filled everything back up.....but it is still making the sound....although it comes and goes. Turn off the AC and it disappears immediately. Punch the gas and the sound tapers out.

I am going to take it to another mechanic and see what they think, but wanted to get anymore opinions here.

Revisit. I took it in to my mechanic...he works with everything. He said the AC compressor looked pretty new and that he oiled it and filled everything back up.....but it is still making the sound....although it comes and goes. Turn off the AC and it disappears immediately. Punch the gas and the sound tapers out.

I am going to take it to another mechanic and see what they think, but wanted to get anymore opinions here.

^^^^^^ Yes, do this.

It would be nice to have more information about what your current mechanic did.

Did he evacuate the A/C system, add oil to the compressor, pump the system down and recharge with refrigerant?

How did he determine that the compressor/system needed oil?

Your NEW mechanic will need to know exactly what has been done to this point.

^^^^^^ Yes, do this.

It would be nice to have more information about what your current mechanic did.

Did he evacuate the A/C system, add oil to the compressor, pump the system down and recharge with refrigerant?

How did he determine that the compressor/system needed oil?

Your NEW mechanic will need to know exactly what has been done to this point.

He added oil to the compressor. He said it probably wasn’t packed correctly and was low I guess. They did put refrigerant back in. As soon as I left I could tell it was still making the same noise. Basically, I was transferred at my job and that mechanic is too far to go to now....but they said the compressor checked out ok and looked like it was pretty new...I have had the 100 for just over a year.

He added oil to the compressor. He said it probably wasn’t packed correctly and was low I guess. They did put refrigerant back in. As soon as I left I could tell it was still making the same noise. Basically, I was transferred at my job and that mechanic is too far to go to now....but they said the compressor checked out ok and looked like it was pretty new...I have had the 100 for just over a year.

I'm still unclear as to what they actually did. You can 'add' oil by adding a shot of refrigerant with an oil charge in it. IF they did not remove the compressor, inspect it and then recharge the system...then I don't know how he would determine the condition or the need for the oil in the first place.

So....you are saying (whatever the procedure used) that the mechanic is declaring the compressor (OK) and NOT the source of your noise?

That was my impression. I took it in about a month ago and the noise was still present when driving at highway speeds. I guess I was so happy to have it ‘fixed’ that I didn’t ask too many questions. Then I was transferred a few days later and didn’t have a chance to take it back in. I will grab another mechanic and have them go for a ride with me so they can hear the noise.

It is definitely tied somehow to the RPMs of the vehicle. It gets louder if I punch the pedal and lower if I let off.

@sleepycruiser

I would go back to post #21 and check those items. It’s really easy to pull the serpentine belt off and put back on.

Take a 13mm(?) socket and pull gently to your left on the tensioner pulley. Slip the belt off the fan pulley.

Test all the pulleys. I would start with the compressor just to rule it out quickly.

You are listening for any grinding noise like metal on metal. The sound in your video seems to come from the driver side tire area. But could be anywhere.

Forget about everything else until you can identify the source of noise.

It is definitely the AC making the noise. When I turn the AC button off it stops immediately and starts again when the AC is engaged. I’ve gotten so many conflicting stories I don’t even know what can or can’t be fixed

What flintknapper said is accurate. You cannot diagnose the internals by just looking at the AC compressor. He probably just stuck a can of freon with some oil in it and charged you for his time and a wild ass guess.

If the sound always goes away when you turn off the AC, then there you go. The noise is almost definitely the AC compressor clutch making the racket. You have two choices, run it till it dies or take it to someone who will actually diagnose the source of the noise, because anything less is still a guess.

BTW, you can do it too. Get a long stiff stick/rod whatever, put one end on the part you want to listen to, put your thumb over the end of the rod and push you ear against your thumb while the stick is on the part you are trying to listen to. You can move it around till you find what part transmits that sound the loudest. Then that's the likely source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom