What have you been doing with your Toyota? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pretty cool engine

Had a friend come over and lend a hand on the 60 tonight and we knocked out several little things... full write up in my build thread in my signature.
  • Got my new to me marker lights installed and working
  • Got my rear cargo light switch working and popped in an LED bulb.
  • Aligned my hood so it wouldn't rub anymore
  • Installed 4Runner wiper arms and new blades to replace the weird 60 series arms.
  • Installed a new OEM shifter and clutch pad.
All in all, a really productive couple of hours. Next up is a new auxiliary electrical system to install a few new light bars I nabbed with the Cyber Monday deals. And swapping out the seats and console to original.
IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG

Wow, it’s amazing it didn’t grenade.

What did it sound like? I imagine they were screaming.

Had a friend come over and lend a hand on the 60 tonight and we knocked out several little things... full write up in my build thread in my signature.
  • Got my new to me marker lights installed and working
  • Got my rear cargo light switch working and popped in an LED bulb.
  • Aligned my hood so it wouldn't rub anymore
  • Installed 4Runner wiper arms and new blades to replace the weird 60 series arms.
  • Installed a new OEM shifter and clutch pad.
All in all, a really productive couple of hours. Next up is a new auxiliary electrical system to install a few new light bars I nabbed with the Cyber Monday deals. And swapping out the seats and console to original.
View attachment 1841403
View attachment 1841399 View attachment 1841400 View attachment 1841401 View attachment 1841402
The 4Runner wiper blades is a very smart decision! They will boost the resale and give you another 5 horsepower!:rofl:

been working on the 5.0 getting it ready to stick into the 40. Anyone that has had the pleasure of working on a ford engine knows about changing the water pump. The bolts break . So i'm pulling bolts and kinda laughing about how easy this is going to be when i get to the last one, why is there always 1 that bites you. Anyway it wouldn't move either way and not wanting to break it I got out the air hammer. put on a socket and let it hammer. then i put on penetrating oil and hammer some more. let it sit and respray then go after it again. After at least an hour of rattling time still no go. Came in for supper and started watching the football game, that was a joke so back out I go. After lots more rattling and oil I'm about fed up and am accepting the fact of having to taking off the timing cover and drilling out the bolt. I put the air gun on it and low and behold there was some movement. decided more hammering was in order then back to the gun. after taking several years off the switch life from going forward and reverse i decided to go for it. it came out without breaking! Saved a bunch of time and money thanks to the air hammer with the socket adapter. I pulled exhaust manifolds and after a little hammering the bolts came out. It's rarely used but when needed is a godsend. picked it up on amazon along with one for screws.

been working on the 5.0 getting it ready to stick into the 40. Anyone that has had the pleasure of working on a ford engine knows about changing the water pump. The bolts break . So i'm pulling bolts and kinda laughing about how easy this is going to be when i get to the last one, why is there always 1 that bites you. Anyway it wouldn't move either way and not wanting to break it I got out the air hammer. put on a socket and let it hammer. then i put on penetrating oil and hammer some more. let it sit and respray then go after it again. After at least an hour of rattling time still no go. Came in for supper and started watching the football game, that was a joke so back out I go. After lots more rattling and oil I'm about fed up and am accepting the fact of having to taking off the timing cover and drilling out the bolt. I put the air gun on it and low and behold there was some movement. decided more hammering was in order then back to the gun. after taking several years off the switch life from going forward and reverse i decided to go for it. it came out without breaking! Saved a bunch of time and money thanks to the air hammer with the socket adapter. I pulled exhaust manifolds and after a little hammering the bolts came out. It's rarely used but when needed is a godsend. picked it up on amazon along with one for screws.
NICE!!! :bounce:

My stories never end like this...

...mine go like, I got impatient, beat on it, it snapped off, then I snap an extractor inside the bolt, then I need to pull the motor to get it milled at a shop, then I burn the rig to the ground.

...way to go Ron.

If can you Tack weld a nut on the broken bolt head ( carefully) the heat from the welder helps break the seized bolt up and you have something to wrench on again worked on an exhaust manifold stud for me but that was into an aluminum head not a cast block saved me from pulling the head to drill it out

Thanks Drew, not talking about the time I had to take an engine to a shop to have several bolts removed using edm. Ouch! And yes that usually is due to breaking an extractor off.
Yep, the welding a nut on works very well, but I'm trying to avoid that. The vibration from the air hammer and good penetrating fluid is my current favorite. Another is to heat the bolt up hot and put a candle on it, the wax is wicked into the threads, this works really well also. For penetrating oil the best i've found is a 50-50 mix of acetone and atf.

Last edited:
Good tips. I keep a bottle of Acetone,atf, & diesel at 1/3rd each and that's been the best for me.

Made another round trip to Colorado the past weekend/week for Christmas and picked up a bunch of 80 parts along the way! Can never hoard enough parts! Also found really cheap gas which is always a plus. I averaged 12 mpg for the whole 1400 mile round trip
MVIMG_20181222_104047.jpg
IMG_20181226_151334.jpg
IMG_20181226_151327.jpg

IMG_20181222_134657.jpg
IMG_20181225_094001.jpg

A little present fun for the 80.
09D5BCE4-16B4-4416-AAE4-4CCBCEDCB8A4.jpeg

Way to go Ron! Looks awesome!

I made this ice cream looking thingy...
img_0933-jpg.1872801

Users who are viewing this thread

Back