What gives with the HDJ81 JDM scaremongering? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is definitely a good idea to go into a purchase understanding the potential risks and not maxing out your budget so you have finances to do repairs that will inevitably come up; however, once you have the truck baselined, purchase some extra parts and plan out when you will do maintenance running and maintaining these HDJ81's isn't that bad. In addition, you need to be willing to do your own research and get your hands dirty doing your own repairs or owning one of these rigs will definitely get expensive really fast.

There also seems to be a lot of comments that people don't want to DD these trucks and I don't really know why. I've been DD'ing mine for 13 years and don't have any near term plans to stop. I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't been able to drive my truck due to it "breaking down" in my time of ownership. Funny enough, most of those issues were electrical (batteries dead, starter dead and alternator died).
Yeah, mine is my DD. Wouldn't have it any other way. If you want to be good on the trails, you need to know your car and be able to drive it with finesse and precision from muscle memory. Don't see how you can do that if you only dust it off once a month.

I think the key is, you need to buy one of these cars with the intention of doing all, or nearly all the work yourself. If you can't do that from the start, you'd really have to plan to use the vehicle as a learning opportunity and work up to that. Mechanics fix cars when they break. It's up to you to maintain them, an in tern, stop them breaking in the first place. As you do this work more and more, you'll also naturally start to build up your cache of spare parts, which is actually the key to keeping your costs down IMO.

In my garage for example, I have an entire front diff assembly from hub to hub with the centre, and I have spares of both the rear axles and hubs, with the rear diff centre. I paid a total of $500 for all that, at different times and places. If/when I ever need to do repairs there now, it's cheap and quick, I can just swap things over. If you insist on brand new shiny parts straight from Toyota, you can make things expensive, and I do that myself for plenty of things as a choice - not a need, but if you look for second hand parts proactively and keep them on your shelf ahead of time, you make things much cheaper. My starter for my HZJ80 needed rebuilding four months ago. Didn't have the time to stuff about, so I took my good genuine used spare, which I didn't even bother rebuilding and I got on ebay for $70 shipped, and switched it over. I now have my original starter motor on the shelf instead, and a box of shiny new parts waiting for me to rebuild it, in my own time. That didn't cost me much money at all, and I didn't have a long vehicle downtime. It took more of my time than paying someone, but a fraction of the cost. Those options are there.

Honestly, I don't think these cars are expensive to maintain, if you use second hand spares. I have a Kia Carnival as a second family vehicle. Parts on that are a lot more expensive and harder to get, and break far more often. There's the usual dumb stuff - broken door handles, switches, stuff I don't even bother fixing half the time. Then more annoying things - broken plastic gears inside the starter motor, things that put it out of action and get expensive. Had a siezed pin in a front brake caliper last month. New caliper? $1300. Used caliper? $600, because they all pack up, and the used parts guys know what they can get for them. Self service wrecker? They're all long gone, because other people needed that same part, or the commercial outfits harvested them all first. Managed to pull the pin myself without cracking the caliper - just. New slide pins to replace the bent ones? $200, and a 2 week wait while they come from Korea. Month before? Drivers side brake line blew. Custom line with a funny bracket. Price from Kia? $320. And a two week wait. Aftermarket? Doesn't exist. Managed to find a single compatible line in a self-service wrecker. Dodged the bullet. This month? Drivers side CV shaft is buggered. Hoping to find one I can swap over. Next month? Bloody thing will be up on carsales.

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in on this thread. The common theme I'm drawing from input here is that if one is going to own an 80, they better be willing to do the work themselves. I've sleuthed around MUD a fair bit over the years, and I know most around these parts do their own wrenching. I've got some serious soul searching ahead to determine if I'm really up to that on a regular basis. I don't have the tools or the experience working on these trucks, and I'm much more interested in driving them than I am wrenching on them. Everyone here is, of course, right: It costs more to operate an 80 if you have a mechanic do the work on them.

The 80 I'm looking at is being sold by Uncommon in Miami, it's the silver/red '92 with under 60,000 miles. Truck looks clean as can be, but I get it: It's old, and it's going to require TLC that a new car just won't...simple as that.

I watched a knuckle rebuild on Youtube the other night, and I was overwhelmed. I saw so many steps where I could forget a part or screw up the process. And that's just for that one part of the truck.

I'm a 'car guy,' and I love Cruisers, but I don't know if I'm as adept at working on them myself as a lot of folks around here.

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in on this thread. The common theme I'm drawing from input here is that if one is going to own an 80, they better be willing to do the work themselves. I've sleuthed around MUD a fair bit over the years, and I know most around these parts do their own wrenching. I've got some serious soul searching ahead to determine if I'm really up to that on a regular basis. I don't have the tools or the experience working on these trucks, and I'm much more interested in driving them than I am wrenching on them. Everyone here is, of course, right: It costs more to operate an 80 if you have a mechanic do the work on them.

The 80 I'm looking at is being sold by Uncommon in Miami, it's the silver/red '92 with under 60,000 miles. Truck looks clean as can be, but I get it: It's old, and it's going to require TLC that a new car just won't...simple as that.

I watched a knuckle rebuild on Youtube the other night, and I was overwhelmed. I saw so many steps where I could forget a part or screw up the process. And that's just for that one part of the truck.

I'm a 'car guy,' and I love Cruisers, but I don't know if I'm as adept at working on them myself as a lot of folks around here.

A few years ago I never worked on my own stuff, but was very comfortable working with my hands, and was working as a field tech in environmental monitoring. I was bored with Subarus and wanted to get into Land curisers. I just jumped in with both feet and learnt as i went, buying the tools as i needed them. Since then i've done most work myself on 40s, 70s and 80s. Everything from oil change to transfer case rebuilds. The vast majority of stuff on these trucks is pretty simple and well within a sensible person's grasp, especially armed with the FSM, mud, youtube and even better a local club. You'll be surprised what can be achieved by bribing guys with beers and pizza.

There's also no shame in outsourcing the big, messy, time consuming or jobs you just don't fancy. Mine likely needs a rear main seal soon. I won't be doing that myself, too hard on jackstands. Oil changes, fuel filter changes are simple. Once you feel a bit more confident then timing belts, water pumps, knuckles, axles and more are all easliy done, especially with someone who has done it before looking over your shoulder.

Learning all of this stuff has been one of the most rewarding things I've done.

Unless you are in it for the long run or rack up more than 10k miles a year (not as a daily driver) it is hard to justify the diesel over a FZJ80 in my opinion.

Over here in Europe basically all of the 80s are Diesels.
I have looked at about 20 HDJ80s in person before I bought a FZJ80 (Keep in mind the gas prices in Europe @ 7$/Gallon )
About 2/3 of the 80s had a rebuilt 1hd-t and they spent a lot of $$$ during the process
some had no records of injectors or bottom end bearings which was beyond my level of risk tolerance.
I would steer clear of the 1hd-t if you go for a diesel. The 1hd-ft seems to hold up much better...

Get a decent FZJ80, enjoy it, learn to wrench on it, make your mistakes modifying it as we all did in the beginning, figure out how you ACTUALLY use it, then make a decision based on what you have learned.

Last edited:
Here’s the best way I can put it. Owning an HDJ81 in the US needs to be your serious hobby. Otherwise, you’ll think that keeping it running in top form is too time-consuming, too expensive, or both. You have to enjoy the learning and the doing of the mechanical work yourself. And you have to see the worldwide search for non-US parts as the thrill of the hunt. But if those are positives rather than negatives for you, then there’s no more reliable and satisfying vehicle to own and maintain. I’ve had mine for over 30 years. It’s taken me places I couldn’t have seen in another vehicle, and has never broken down. At 400,000+ miles, it runs as smoothly as ever. But it’s not for everybody.

Owning an HDJ81 in the US needs to be your serious hobby.

That is incredibly well said, emphasis on serious. On average I have paid $481/month over 63 months of ownership to have the privilege of spending thousands of hours working on this vehicle. But it's probably worth what I've invested, so there's that. Note that includes many upgrades so it's not a true time/cost of ownership, but also know that these rigs are epic in a way that an FZJ80 just isn't and you will want/need these upgrades such as a turbo.

I came to my HDJ from an FJ60 which required on a few days of intense labor one time over many years of very abusive adventures. The difference between that ownership experience and this one is not even comparable. Same with my good buddy who has an FZJ with little time/money invested (I have spent more time on my rig in a month than he has in 5 years on his). The references above to owning an old sports car are accurate, except one you take down gnarly washboard at 50MPH.

I would strongly discourage an HDJ as a DD simply because an FZJ can do that. The diesel configuration is a perfect tool for the right job but DD isn't the right job, not worth the overhead IMO. Towing, running huge tires on big lifts, long runs of deep sand, etc.--and especially doing all of this simultaneously--are all areas where a diesel is the right tool.

When fully modified to its potential an HDJ is simply an entirely different class of vehicle than an FZJ, IMO. There's a truly addictive quality to the experience of driving these rigs off road which makes you want to keep them very well maintained, and upgraded. I can't imagine ditching the diesel, even if at times I hate how much work and money it is. Caveat Emptor: it gets in the bones.

I daily my 1990 HDJ81. 4inch lift, 35s. It's been great. Haven't had any issues with it. RHD in a LHD country can be mildly annoying at times. Two line highways, you are not passing any tractor trailers. Left turns might take a bit longer if there's a box truck across from you turning left. Drive thrus... all of this is minor in my opinion. I get a solid 17mpg sprinted driving. I've put 90k km on it in the last 5 years.

Timing belt takes 20 minutes. BEB aren't bad at all. Done normal maintenance on it. Oil, brakes, etc. Fuel filter you can get from Napa. Cruiser Outfitters carries 90% of parts for the 1HDT. Parts take a bit more work to get them and even more work if toyota has discontinued it. I helped a buddy rebuild his 1HDT and he had no problems getting parts.

Driving it off road is amazing and better than my old FZJ80. I also wouldn't sell a FZJ80 for an HDJ80. I don't notice a difference of cost of the HDJ v FZJ in terms of maintenance items. I also stopped counting how much I put into it. You are just going to drive yourself mad, especially if you are a penny pincher.

Everything that can go wrong gets highlighted in the forums. No one wants to read "truck runs great no issues". People then get paranoid and start doing ridiculous items as PM.

Drive it and enjoy it. Don't get freaked out by everyone here with their scare mongering. And don't pay attention on anyone's opinions on RHD. I don't get it, but everyone likes to give their opinion on how dumb and dangerous it is.

Last edited:
It all comes down to how bad you want an HDJ. You can do anything if you want it bad enough. Like others have said, it might help to look at it like a serious hobby. Then again, using it as a DD, you will learn the vehicle in and out. After a while, you will have no worries, save the occasional issue, which you will learn as you go. I will soon be transplanting a 1HD-T into my 40, and I'm super excited about it. Also, I am currently in the process of locating a LHD HDJ80 in Europe to purchase for import. It might take a while to find the right one, but I'm really looking forward to getting it over here. That has always been my 'dream vehicle'. It won't a DD, but I plan to drive it often. I do most of my own wrenching, and whatever I don't know, I can learn. Don't get discouraged, and go with what your heart tells you. People here are more than willing to help guide you through any trouble you may encounter. Have fun and best of luck to you! Keep us posted!

Also the one you mentioned is 40k...

get a FZJ80 for 20k
Put 10k in the bank (for repairs/maintenance)
Spend 10k driving it around the country.

that gets you more memories per dollar :D

Absolutely agree with this.

I've had two diesel cruisers, and I love them.

My current 80 is an FZJ80, 5 speed.
I love it too. It's not quite the same driving experience, but it's still a fun driver, a driver's car.

Couldn't justify paying triple the price for another diesel.

Absolutely agree with this.

I've had two diesel cruisers, and I love them.

My current 80 is an FZJ80, 5 speed.
I love it too. It's not quite the same driving experience, but it's still a fun driver, a driver's car.

Couldn't justify paying triple the price for another diesel.

That must be a market thing.

Here a diesel and a gasser are close in price when factoring in miles.

I paid 22.5k for my diesel with 135k miles.
Fzj80's are close in price with over 200k on them.

Holy hell the miles on this

As long as you have an extra vehicle I feel it takes most of the concerns away about keeping a 30 old cars on the road. If something needs replacing you simply park the cruiser and wait for parts while driving your backup vehicle around. I always preferred driving older vehicles and it would give me a little anxiety whenever I had to work on it because I knew I had to finish the repair quickly so I could get to work the next day. The first day I bought a second hooptie as insurance I vowed to never own less than 2 vehicles ever again.

As long as you have an extra vehicle I feel it takes most of the concerns away about keeping a 30 old cars on the road. If something needs replacing you simply park the cruiser and wait for parts while driving your backup vehicle around. I always preferred driving older vehicles and it would give me a little anxiety whenever I had to work on it because I knew I had to finish the repair quickly so I could get to work the next day. The first day I bought a second hooptie as insurance I vowed to never own less than 2 vehicles ever again.

I feel every word of this. I always keep two vehicles that can double as a daily driver, I currently have my hdj81 and my actual daily a 2001 Honda Accord 5 speed

I'm an old car guy and have never been with less than two vehicles. At one point, I had seven, and the only one that was running was the oldest one, so I had to use that to go get parts for all the others. They all literally decided to give up the same week.

I pre-plan my maintenance and do it in "manageable" segments, sometimes even if that means I have to do the same part multiple times because my LC is my DD and primary parts getter.

My wife's van gets everything it wants immediately. That one is #1.
The LC is next and since I'm in it every day, I make a list of the things it needs, then re-prioritize based on the severity, urgency, weather, and time available. I end up with quite the stash of new parts on hand so I can replace when I have a few minutes.
Then the Stude, as it is extremely reliable, but weather-restricted driving.
After that, the other three are the kid's vehicles and they're his responsibility unless he needs my help. I already have him on the program of older vehicles and keep them maintained.

my HDJ80 is with out doubt the most reliable, cheapest and easy to fix vehicle i have ever owned.

its been my only car and a daily driver for the last 18 years. its no show pony and has had plenty of abuse. towed far too much, idled for countless hours and done 80 plus mph for hours on end on 1000 plus mile family camping holidays.

332000 miles, engine untouched other than servicing, cam belts, one water pump and a replacement ACSD.

no problem with parts. in the uk we mainly deal with amayama and partsouq, because on the whole they are half the price of the UK toyota dealer. we have to wait even longer than you fellas for the parts to arrive, about 2 weeks. its rarely a problem. keep some basics on the parts shelf.

I filled mine up with f***ing gasoline a few months ago…
It runs great.
Change the oil, ATF and air filters regularly, timing belt & water pump every 100k, and you’ll be good.

I picked up a 92 HDJ81 almost a year ago and heres what my experience has been. I decided to knock out as much maintenance as I possibly could! Some things needed to be replaced and other things were fine but due to age I figured why not. I order 99 percent of my parts from partsouq and I usually get it in a week and im located in the US. Heres the list

Knuckle rebuild

Turbo replaced due to leaking oil. Replaced with a stage 1 turbo from CCT (800 USD)

All heater and radiator hoses. Some heater hoses were starting to swell. New clamps used as well.

Middle AC vents (Floppy)

All fluids

All turbo and exhaust gaskets were replaced when I took the turbo out

Timing belt, water pump

Water hard lines

BEBs

Glow Plugs

Radiator Cap

Had some rust fixed at a body shop (USD 1200)

Fuel filter housing (leaking)

Compression tested (everything good)

I picked up a 92 HDJ81 almost a year ago and heres what my experience has been. I decided to knock out as much maintenance as I possibly could! Some things needed to be replaced and other things were fine but due to age I figured why not. I order 99 percent of my parts from partsouq and I usually get it in a week and im located in the US. Heres the list

Knuckle rebuild

Turbo replaced due to leaking oil. Replaced with a stage 1 turbo from CCT (800 USD)

All heater and radiator hoses. Some heater hoses were starting to swell. New clamps used as well.

Middle AC vents (Floppy)

All fluids

All turbo and exhaust gaskets were replaced when I took the turbo out

Timing belt, water pump

Water hard lines

BEBs

Glow Plugs

Radiator Cap

Had some rust fixed at a body shop (USD 1200)

Fuel filter housing (leaking)

Compression tested (everything good)

Cct?

I am throwing in the towel on my HDJ81.

I bought it 3 and a half years ago at auction seeing only the 24 valve turbo engine with 219km on the clock. At the time of purchase I had not even realized that it had been converted from RHD to LHD. Badly. People here on Mud set me straight soon enough. I spent easily 1.5 times the original purchase price working to address the problems introduced by the poor RHD to LHD conversion. I'm talking a new frame even, because they neglected to reinforce the frame at the steering box attachment point. Anyways, I have now returned it to registerable status here in Dubai, twice. The final straw was when I could not get the 24v starting solenoid to operate reliably so I started pulling kick panels off only to discover that they had done an even worse job when it came to addressing the wiring harness changes from RHD to LHD. That and the fact that is was an auto with the gear shift poking into my leg and the accelerator pedal was not in the standard position. Yes, it all could have been addressed, but it just, frankly, beat me into submission.

But I do -love- that engine. Plenty of pep and I was getting 18 MPG out of it, or something like that. So I actually pulled the 24 valve turbo engine out of the HDJ81 and swapped in a 1HZ before sending it back to the casino / auction house. The 24 valve engine is going into a nice but worn Omni diesel 80 that I bought a couple of years ago-the Omani truck having donated its 1HZ to the 81.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom