What does the 4x4 dash button actually do?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the 4x4 push button on my '88 62 stays lit all the time, but since the hubs manually lock, what does this button actually do? Does it do any harm in leaving it alone or do I spend the $$ having the shop trace down the problem? I already had them look at it once and they reset it, but I punched it back on in their lot, just to see if it was "fixed" and it stayed stuck on again...

Thanks in advance!

You probably need to replace your 4wd solenoids. The button engages the front driveshaft, so if the light it lit you are in 4wd regardless of whether the hubs are engaged or not. Your 2wd solenoid is probably bad and isnt letting the vacuum to the tcase actuator. Search on here for a thread on replacing 4wd solenoids, they are super expensive from the dealer and there are a number of options for replacing them.

PS where do you live in Minneapolis, my dad lives in prior lake.

engage your front drive line via-the vac shifter. your front end will then have power going to it. then you'll have to get out a lock the Aisins.

edit: sounds like your vac solenoid is shot. I think there is a trick where you can reverse the hoses and unlock it...

Last edited:
"engage your front drive line via-the vac shifter. your front end will then have power going to it. then you'll have to get out a lock the Aisins."

I think he's asking about how to turn it off, not how to engage it. Follow the agent orange's advice; check the solenoids... they could need to be cleaned up.

BTW you should be able to turn it off by switching the hoses around. The 4wd works by putting vacuum to one side or the other of a diapraghm, so if you manually swap the hoses it should go back into 2wd. That should hold you over till you can fix the solenoids.

You may want to verify the front driveshaft is in fact engaged though, try turning it and see if it rotates. If it doesnt, its in 4wd.

-Matt

Having a simmilar issue with my new 89 fj62. only difference is my 4wd light stays on regardless of whether the button is pushed or not. does this also indicate a solenoid issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom