What do you think I could get? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All

What do you think I could realistically get for my 62? I am casually thinking of selling it, and taking over the wife's 4runner and buying her a more kid friendly car (just had a kid). I know that I will certainly take a "bath" on it, and have no illusions of getting stupid TLC prices. My home server is down, otherwise I would post pics again - I did post a while back.

I am sure I am missing stuff, but this is what I had in mind. I was frankly shocked how much there was after I wrote it all down! I just want a decent idea, then either commit to selling it or cross the ideal off the list.

http://www.bigspottydog.com/jack/toyo.jpg
http://www.bigspottydog.com/jack/engine1.jpg
http://www.bigspottydog.com/jack/engine2.jpg

Thanks

Jack

Here is the bio
1989 FJ62 (champaign tan)

3rd Owner with ALL receipts and records (think 4+ inches)
230k miles, all engine/transmission was done 6k ago for no real good reason other than having somthing to throw money at.
SF Bay California Car – currently located in Santa Cruz
Body is straight, no dents, never been in major accident. The rear lift gate was dented when I bought it, but got a good used one and had it painted to match (inside and out – removed all HW).

Engine
Long Block rebuilt by Clark’s machine shop (Cupertino, CA)
NEW
ALL hoses
ALL hose clamps w/ new Toyota Hose clamps
Belts

Radiator
Water Pump and Fan Clutch
EGR Valve
EGR Vacuum Modulator
Motor Mounts (Toyota)
Oil Pan
ALL Gaskets (replacement Toyota)
Fusable Link
120 Amp Alternator
Starter
Plugs/Wires/Cap/Rotor/Fuel Filter
Oil Filter (6 extra too) large old Toyota OEM
FPR
SS Battery tray w/ clamp for “standard size” battery
SS Battery tray clamp for Optima Series 31 battery
PS Pump
AC dryer
FlowMaster 60 Series Muffler
Rebuilt/Reconditioned
All injectors cleaned and balanced by RC engineering
TPS from Cruiser Parts
EGR Gas Temp
ECU from another cruiser
VSV from another cruiser

Transmission
Rebuilt A440F and Torque Converter
New Rodney (Automatic Transmission) Valve Body
New Rodney AT Temp Gauge setup
New Transmission Cooler (Plate style)

Transfer Case
TC rebuild done with ALL NEW bearings from Toyota
Replaced the PTO gear setup with the one from Australia

Suspension/Steering/Wheels
NEW
Tie Rod/Drag Link
OME Shocks and Steering stabilizer
Terrain Tamer Springs (heavy)
Anti Inversion Shackles
Greasable Pins
Poly Bushings
Rear Sway bar extensions
New Sway bar bushings (Toyota)
15x8 Rock Crawlers
32x11.5 Bridgstone ATs (3k mi)
Rebuilt/Reconditioned
Steering Box from another cruiser (much tighter)

Brakes
New
FJ80 MC (non-abs)
91 4Runner Calipers and Pads
TSM Rear Brake Conversion – Eldo style with e-brake
SS Brake Lines
Good E-Brake Setup with all new cables
T-100 Soft lines from body to axel

Body
ARB Front Winch Bumper
Warn Fairlead (no idea why the owner put this on without a winch)
ARB Side steps
Kaymar Rear Bumper (w/ Swing Arms mounts but no swing arm)
Tail Light Guards
Fender Flairs (Australian/Man-A-Fre) Style
Safari Snorkel – not installed

Interior
JVC Arsenal KD-SX8350 receiver (MP3 plus exterior mini-jack plug)
Front Speakers (don’t remember brand)
Rear diamond tread rubber mat
Weather Tech front mats
Nifty mounted fire extinguisher and MagLight
Dash mat (dash isn’t cracked)
Hula Dog (Golden Retriever)

Other
More spare parts than you know what to do with (all in a RubberMaid Action Packer)
A well used 1989 FSM (the good one)
A Chiltons manual good for starting a camp fire
A COMPLETE printout, sorted in a binder and in protective sleeves, of the parts microfiche

What is Wrong
Blows code 71. I think I have replaced “everything possible” – still think it is the VSV, but haven’t bought a new one. Every time I go through the FSM procedure I get stumped.
Alignment is good, but the steering wheel is a bit “off” due to steering box replacement
The front drivers spring has some inter-leaf friction and occasionally knocks when you go lock to lock without moving
Gas mileage – but you know that. 10 in town, 12 on highway, but these are estimates due to different tire sizes and lack of GPS
There was a small (and I mean small – size of eraser head) rust spot in the passenger side rear window. I scraped all the rust under the seal and the body, hit it with galvanized paint, then touch up paint.
Font axles need to be done – some seepage noticed, just haven’t done it yet
AC – I have a new drier, but there isn’t ANY Freon in the system due to a friend’s assistance during the motor removal. You will need to get it recharged.
Paint – Clear coat is fading on the rear driver side. Some scratches in the roof due to the neighbor cat getting surprised by my flip flop hitting it in the head.

What it Needs
Long Rang Gas Tank
Rear tire carrier
WINCH
Lights on the ARB bull bar
Roof Rack
CB

Last edited:
You can probably get top dollar for it ($10ish?), but I think you're insane to give up a rare beauty like that for a generic 4Runner. Buy a cheapo, reliable daily driver and use the Cruiser for wheeling/trips/camping/expeditions, and never look back.

I agree with Exiled on this one. Buy some pos protege or something and use the LC as a weekend warrior type of thing. That will augument your LC's bad mileage as well.

:beer: and more :beer:

Btw

i agree; getting rid of a LC in this condition is always bath time... better to keep it and let the appreciation catch up to the real value of the car.

also, those fender flares... are they SOR? or, where did you get them?

The PO put the fender flairs on there, I would bet from MAF. If you really want to know, I can dig through the stack of reciepts to find out. He really loved those guys for some reason.

I was thinking the same - something in the 10-12 range. I am still on the fence...maybe I need to take it for a drive

HA HA - I love the protoge comment. That is my current commuter car, and I think is the best car I have ever had. 158k miles, and I havent done ish to it other than change the oil, and new tires....

-Jack

keep it, get a daily driver,
thats what i did
very happy i still have my rig.

I'd rather have my Cruiser than any new truck. I really mean that. That makes my truck worth way more to me than I could even joke about selling it for. You've got a really nice rig. If I were you I keep it as long as possible.

But to answer your question, I'd say you could pretty easily get $8K-12K for it. I've seen less go for even more...

I think unless you desperately need the money- keep it!!!!!!

You will regret selling it the minute it is gone, and you will spend 3 times what you get out of it to replace what you lost.

Nice rig btw!

Hey Jack,
I'd be interested. Shoot me your contact info.
Thanks,
Mike
Oregon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom