??What do you think about the 4 speed autos?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im just getting to know the 4 speed automatic transmissions in the FJ62 series with the vaccum operated transfer.. Can anyone shed any light on these transmissions? any feedback welcomed..

Theres tons of info floating around, just do a search...........

Many relate to them as ticking time bombs, and are often discarded......

Im just getting to know the 4 speed automatic transmissions in the FJ62 series with the vaccum operated transfer.. Can anyone shed any light on these transmissions? any feedback welcomed..

Well, most of them go 200K or more before they require a rebuild. So I wouldn't say they are that bad. I had a 1991 full size GMC van that had to have the transmission rebuilt twice in 150K. And I am a fanatic when it comes to preventive maintenance.

Here is a recent thread on your options:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/267807-tranny-went-byebye-now-what.html

an 89 w/130k followed me home last fall that needs an engine rebuild. after researching all the info on the auto i decided not to risk it. i'm putting in a h55 and a 2fe. at the very least i think you need to ad another cooler. you never know how the po treated the tranny, easy to abuse

Like anything alot depends on how its used and maintained. Mine has 217K with no signs of weakening soon. I have heard of them running past 300K without a rebuild.

They do not like tall tires without a gear change by the way. Change the fluid on a regular basis, I pull the plug and get about 5 1/2 qts for each change. I don't bother with a complete change which is 15+ qts and I do believe has to be pumped in (never done it, correct me if I am wrong). The filter is no more than a metal pan with a screen so I have only changed it once.

Strange how the early 80 guys have the same tranny (with some electronics ours don't have) a much heavier rig and less complaints.

Tony

My wifes has 285K on it never had a fluid change or filter change I will do it one day when I get a chance,ran modirately hard and still ticking,it's close to its last leg but I bet she will get another 50K+ out of it before it packs it in.

They are a strong transmission. Well over 250K isn't unheard even with out proper maintenance. You can help extend the life by purging the TF and going to synthetic transmission fluid. Flush out the transmission cooler located in the radiator and/or put in an inline cooler.

Only issue on the vacuum tcase are the vacuum modules. after years of under the hood abuse they go out. You can still control the tcase by moving the vacuum line to the good module and hitting the button on the dash. Many Japanese cars use that same module in their emmissions controlls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom