The beater of all beaters...what did I do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
worldseasonings.com
Few years ago I bought my first 60. Thing was in great shape and it's only gotten better. It's been quite an enjoyable toy to have.

I was recently in New York on a business trip and I was scouring Craigslist for parts, like I always do when I travel, and I saw an ad for a used, White 1985 fj60, that looked to be in bad shape. It didn't look to be in nearly as bad as shape as it was when I got it.

I knew this thing was going to be in bad shape. After looking at it, unfortunately I think it's in way worse shape than my skill set is ready for it. Even if I took it to the body shop in Mexico I just had my other 60 painted I don't know if they could Salvage this thing.

So now I'm in parting it out mode. The interior is blue. The dash is actually in really good shape and has one tiny little bubble crack in it in a corner. All the gauges are in great shape. The seats are in Fairly good shape except for the usual driver seat tear from getting in and out. The door cards are in really good shape but they were all modified for speakers. The carpet is pretty much trashed.

Apparently the previous owner put on an electrical fuel pump and it is pumping too much fuel to the carburetor. My thought is to go get a regulator and put it in line but I am not too sure how much pressure or fuel needs to be getting pumped to the carburetor. Do any of you guys know the answer to that question? I think if I can do that I can get the motor to turn over because he said it does run, or at least it did before he put on the electric fuel pump.

So with all that said, I'm not sure where the proper place to post Parts is but I know some of you guys will tell me. I will be partying it out and it seems to have a lot of really good functioning parts. Unfortunately, I think there's just way too much rust and potentially rot to have a go at it.

20230623_115953.jpg

20230623_120001.jpg

20230623_120008.jpg

20230623_120324.jpg

20230623_120319.jpg

Last edited:
Few years ago I bought my first 60. Thing was in great shape and it's only gotten better. It's been quite an enjoyable toy to have.

I was recently in New York on a business trip and I was scouring Craigslist for parts, like I always do when I travel, and I saw an ad for a used, White 1985 fj60, that looked to be in bad shape. It didn't look to be in nearly as bad as shape as it was when I got it. Originally it was $2,500 but I ended up grabbing it for a thousand bucks. It cost me more to ship it than to buy it.

I knew this thing was going to be in bad shape. After looking at it, unfortunately I think it's in way worse shape than my skill set is ready for it. Even if I took it to the body shop in Mexico I just had my other 60 painted I don't know if they could Salvage this thing.

So now I'm in parting it out mode. The interior is blue. The dash is actually in really good shape and has one tiny little bubble crack in it in a corner. All the gauges are in great shape. The seats are in Fairly good shape except for the usual driver seat tear from getting in and out. The door cards are in really good shape but they were all modified for speakers. The carpet is pretty much trashed.

Apparently the previous owner put on an electrical fuel pump and it is pumping too much fuel to the carburetor. My thought is to go get a regulator and put it in line but I am not too sure how much pressure or fuel needs to be getting pumped to the carburetor. Do any of you guys know the answer to that question? I think if I can do that I can get the motor to turn over because he said it does run, or at least it did before he put on the electric fuel pump.

So with all that said, I'm not sure where the proper place to post Parts is but I know some of you guys will tell me. I will be partying it out and it seems to have a lot of really good functioning parts. Unfortunately, I think there's just way too much rust and potentially rot to have a go at it.

View attachment 3356873

View attachment 3356874

View attachment 3356875

View attachment 3356876

View attachment 3356877

This is the Parting Out section, post it here Parting Out... - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/parting-out.120/

Maybe you'll be able to recoup your $$ because parting out can be a pain. Some pieces will be in demand and sell easy while there will be other parts that you'll never be able to sell. The rust is going to be an issue.

If you want to go that route, it's around 3-5 psi for an Aisan carb. Don't know for a Weber.

The few pix of the frame you post doesn't look too bad...

The TJ body shops would be able to salvage, they do amazing things with sheet steel and a welder, but cost , who knows.

If you want to go that route, it's around 3-5 psi for an Aisan carb. Don't know for a Weber.

The few pix of the frame you post doesn't look too bad...

The TJ body shops would be able to salvage, they do amazing things with sheet steel and a welder, but cost , who knows.
Ill Takes more pictures of the frame and post. If you guys think the frame is good enough, please let me know. My initial goal was to turn this into an awesome swapped project. But once I saw the frame underneath I simply didn't know if it would work or not. I know enough to be dangerous with this stuff but I'm learning all the time on my other 60.

For your sake, I hope you can hang on to it…but if not, I may need a part or two.

Subscribed.

Whoops...I thought the above post was in the thread "What did I do with my 60 this weekend". My apologies to the OP from San Diego for goofing up his post. I deleted this and will repost later in the right place..

To the OP: Parting it out can be consider a noble sacrifice so that others may live.

In Canada, that frame would be considered "mint." Based on the few photos, it looks totally saveable.

In my experience, parting out a truck is a huge pain in the a$$. You'll sell a few parts right away, and sit on the rest forever. If you decide to sell it, my suggestion is try to sell it whole.

Whoops...I thought the above post was in the thread "What did I do with my 60 this weekend". My apologies to the OP from San Diego for goofing up his post. I deleted this and will repost later in the right place..

To the OP: Parting it out can be consider a noble sacrifice so that others may live.
All good dude. We love some venison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom