What do you guys think of HID kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
market thses days and was wondering if it is worth to consider.
I have seen Phillips Xenon Kit (8000K) for under $300.00.
Will this harm factory wiring?
Does it really show brighter than regular Halogen?

MNCruiser,

I tried a HID kit on a BMW. Was really disappointed with the results. The light was whiter / bluers, but the light pattern was still awful. I switched it to halogen high beams modified to run in the low beam sockets.

coryg,

Did you get a "true" HID conversion kit or just a colored halogen bulbs? I have driven a minivan that came with factory HID and was VERY impressed.

I think that Doug could chime in about LC's lens cut/pattern, etc... but I what I've heard is that it does not control(aim) the light as effectively as 80 lenses in other parts of the globe, Europe, Japan, etc...

By the way, I have seen some pics of true HID conversions done and if you can get it done right, it does look very impressive. Also, I have seen prices much cheaper than $800, even for bixenon ones. But if you are willing to pay that kind of money, you might want to consider installing something like Hella projector bixenon HID's or something from Audi, BMW, Benz or S2000 into your headlights(put/fab clear lense covers, rather than keeping the factory textures lenses).

Anyway, gotta get ready for work. I will try to post a pic and/or link to some of them later.

Good luck!

mot

mot,

True HID. Had to install ballast, etc. It was an easy install but the the reflector for the light wasn't going to allow the increased brightness of a HID to make an difference in actual light performance. Most of the light output was scattered and not focused forward. Now with factory installed HID's in other vehicles, those were fantastic. Just don't expect factory results from the HID kits.

cory

Cory,

(You probably have, but) Have you tried:

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/

If you have the time, you might want to consider Hella HID projector conversion on your Cruiser. Of course, dealing with the textured lenses could be a pain in the butt. But there are some who have taken them off and made new lenses with Lexon(spelling?).

Anyway, just a thought.

Good luck!

mot

[quote author=coryg link=board=2;threadid=7396;start=msg61950#msg61950 date=1068605330]
mot,

True HID. Had to install ballast, etc. It was an easy install but the the reflector for the light wasn't going to allow the increased brightness of a HID to make an difference in actual light performance. Most of the light output was scattered and not focused forward. Now with factory installed HID's in other vehicles, those were fantastic. Just don't expect factory results from the HID kits.

cory
[/quote]

I heard the same thing as Cory's answer. HID's really need a special type of reflector for effectiveness...stock halogen reflectors won't cut it. Also, the wavelength is important. If it's too blue (like 6000-7000 deg Kelvin), light output falls off (you'll get tons of scattering in dust/rain). BTW, white light is approx. 5500 deg K.

The problem with the true HID kits is the bulb has a different orientation than the stock bulb. As a result, the light is scattered as opposed to focused in the reflector (look at the 9006 bulb and then the HID bulb). If you want more light, go the Slee harness and high watt bulbs from rallylights.com. It will cost you $80 instead of 300 and be much more focused. If you want an obseen amount of light on the high beams, for out the money for a pair of Hella 4000 driving lamps, Cibie Osrams or on the Hella or Cibie HID driving lamps.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom