What do you do with your dog (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a theory, Dogs are hunters, as long as they are fed they sleep a lot. In nature this is would conserve energy for the next hunt.

Electric fences are pretty good option for dogs who know they shouldn't go over the wire. If you have a dumb or untrained dog they don't work very well.......

I had a friend with a very smart dog... the electric fence would not work for it. The dog figured out that the thing would beep when he neared the wire... if he got too close he would get the shock. Eventually, he would stand near the wire with the collar beeping until the batter ran out. Then he was off to the races. He did it no matter what.

Dogs are smart! Even the dumb ones.

I had a friend with a very smart dog... the electric fence would not work for it. The dog figured out that the thing would beep when he neared the wire... if he got too close he would get the shock. Eventually, he would stand near the wire with the collar beeping until the batter ran out. Then he was off to the races. He did it no matter what.

Dogs are smart! Even the dumb ones.

Then your friend didn't train him right. The fence is only part of the solution training is the rest.

My last dog would get me firewood, beer out of the fridge, his own ice cubes and sit in front of a plate of steak for days until I snapped my fingers. I never had a fence and he never left the yard. Of course he was a smart dog and I trained him.

Last edited:
how do you like your beagles? I was thinking about getting one for my first dog sometime in the future.

Beagles are great pets as long as you don't have neighbors that hate dogs that bark.. Beagles bark a lot. I mean a lot. At nothing. They are great dogs other than that. All dogs have flaws. It's just a matter of what your willing to put up with.

Ohhh....me me me!!!! I have an opinion on this one!!! (see username)

My thoughts on dog training and new dogs:

1) crate training is the best way to acclimate a new dog to a new life, regardless of age. They will bark, wimper, throw a fit about getting in, and all that. BUT, give it a couple of weeks and they will love "their space." They can go all day as adults and don't mind it a bit. Puppies can only hold it for 1 hour for every month they are alive (4 months=4 hours)...and that's just a guideline, some are worse than others. It is true that dogs are den animals, and their crate becomes their den. 6 out of my 13 dogs are crated all day. 4 because they are old and forget that they shouldn't pee in the house, 1 because he is and afghan hound and is an idiot, and one because he is young and still learning. The others are nice middle aged doggies that roam the house and sleep on the couch or the MANY dog beds laying around.

2) There is proof that if you chain a dog it will be aggressive and/or unsocialized and more likely to bite. Dog runs are the same deal...still restricted and still pent up with no where to spend their energy.

3) Dog pens (i.e. small enclosures outside) prevent human interaction. I know, you commit to going out there and feeding and cleaning. But how would you feel if you lived in a 20X20 room and only got visited to have your crap removed from your room and fed and petted for 5 minutes? People are inherently lazy...and if their dog is penned away from them unable to reach them, more times that not it's outta sight, outta mind. Again, lack of attention will not a good dog make.

4) I do not keep my dogs outside when I am not home. This is not because I don't want them to romp and play, but rather I don't trust people. I can't tell you how many times dogs get stolen from their back yards. That or they dig out and get lost, or eat something bad, or whatever. There is just no control when you are not there. Really, the same is true for leaving a dog out loose in the house when you don't know what it will do. Dogs need jobs. Don't give them a job to stimulate them and leave them with options, you lose your blinds, or kitchen furniture, etc.

5) I think electric fences can be useful if you have a well trained dog and are supervising them outside. However, I would NEVER leave a dog with no physical barrier to outside forces. Maybe the dog is completely trustworthy and behaves perfectly and never leaves the yard...what happens when the asshat neighbor down the street brings home his unneutered, male, aggressive rottweiler and lets him roam the streets while your cute and fluffy harmless golden retreiver is sitting down the street practically wearing a sign that says "LUNCH?"

To give myself a little credibility on these things...I have been rescuing dogs for 8.5 years and have placed over 450 dogs through my house (as a foster home). I am not a freaky rescue person (promise I'm not, ask Troll). But I do know dogs!

Mine is with me 24/7. When I used to have a work truck, he lived in it all day. Now that I have an office he spends about half the time under my desk and the other half sitting in the Cruiser. He prefers the truck most of the time and even after a 16 hour day in it, he's anxious to go for a truck ride. I guess my Cruiser is his crate. I know some of you are thinking I'm lucky to be able to take my dog to work but I didn't give anybody the option. I brought him in, introduced him around and waited for the fallout. It never came. Now others do it too. I can pretty easily show a morale improvement and resulting increase in productivity. I realize that the day may come when they hire someone who is afraid or allergic to dogs and when that happens he'll simply spend the whole day in the truck. Until then, all is good.
random4.jpg

k9crazy re #4:
You over look the hundreds of years of selective breeding that have gone on. Dog temperaments differ greatly with breed. In general most sporting breeds are fine with no other job than being your friend. They have been bred as much as companions as for ability. I agree that working breeds need to be worked to be happy and well adjusted.

Mine is with me 24/7. When I used to have a work truck, he lived in it all day. Now that I have an office he spends about half the time under my desk and the other half sitting in the Cruiser. He prefers the truck most of the time and even after a 16 hour day in it, he's anxious to go for a truck ride. I guess my Cruiser is his crate. I know some of you are thinking I'm lucky to be able to take my dog to work but I didn't give anybody the option. I brought him in, introduced him around and waited for the fallout. It never came. Now others do it too. I can pretty easily show a morale improvement and resulting increase in productivity. I realize that the day may come when they hire someone who is afraid or allergic to dogs and when that happens he'll simply spend the whole day in the truck. Until then, all is good.
Jake use to come to the office with me. One person with a poorly trained dog ruined that for everyone. :frown:

k9crazy re #4:
You over look the hundreds of years of selective breeding that have gone on. Dog temperaments differ greatly with breed. In general most sporting breeds are fine with no other job than being your friend. They have been bred as much as companions as for ability. I agree that working breeds need to be worked to be happy and well adjusted.

Very true on the breed thing. I agree that working dogs are much more prone to stir craziness, but then again I have seen a blue tick hound literally TRASH a house because he was alone. If people were there, he was as docile as could be. Now, that could have been seperation anxiety or boredom, I don't know which. But he was left alone in the house and let it rip. Same thing with a OES (old english sheepdog). She was left alone and actually got wrapped up in a cord and died. I guess my point was more that new dogs can't be trusted alone and out until you know what they will do.

Beagles are great pets as long as you don't have neighbors that hate dogs that bark.. Beagles bark a lot. I mean a lot. At nothing. They are great dogs other than that. All dogs have flaws. It's just a matter of what your willing to put up with.

Umm

My Beagles are the hunting breed, not the show dog yippie bark at everything type.

They do not bark unless:

1. A Stanger (person, dog, coyote, mountain lion, cow) is on the property near the house.
2. You have a gun in you hand.
3. You grab thier harnesses and leashes.
4. You walk up to my wife to quickly.

My pup is 4 months old and has yet to bark or bay. She is learning from the 15" hunter when to bark.

Mine likes TV :D
Sammy-and-Bear-Hunt1-croppe.jpg
Sammy-and-Bikini-Girl-cropp.jpg

Umm

My Beagles are the hunting breed, not the show dog yippie bark at everything type.

They do not bark unless:

1. A Stanger (person, dog, coyote, mountain lion, cow) is on the property near the house.
2. You have a gun in you hand.
3. You grab thier harnesses and leashes.
4. You walk up to my wife to quickly.

My pup is 4 months old and has yet to bark or bay. She is learning from the 15" hunter when to bark.

Bay thats the word. I knew it was something wierd they do. Kind of like a bark and a howl all in one. Not all Beagles are equal. But everyone one I have camped with or my neighbor has had bayed 24/7. Not a problem with me. I've got a 13mth daughter. Nothing bothers me anymore.:beer:

Throw him in the crate and let he roommates deal with him whining for a while. normally not gone for more then an hour and a half at a time.

mine runs around the house while im gone

meets me at the door every day with a smile and a wag

Mine currently owns everthing here and lets me borrow it, but he sleeps in a crate and spends time in there when Im gone, when Im at work he goes to th GF's and plays with her retrevers
2 (4).JPG

mine have a doggie door to fenced yard, 5 couches & a crate each with 2 softies per crate. they mostly sleep all day. when i'm off for more than a couple days they'll try to stay awake in case i do something fun, but they rarely make it the whole day without a nap.

i work close, but don't bug them til i'm done at work, or on a double shift, then i'll pop in & feed them before the second half.

some good advice here about socialization and training, including crate training. my girl takes treats to her box so she doesn't have to defend them from the pestery boy.

good luck!

Last edited:
i like dogs.... but this thread, is the one of reasons why we have a cat....

tia

Mine works on the cruiser while I'm away...:grinpimp:
Actually, like others have said, he just sleeps all day. When wrenching, which he loves to watch, he is often to blame for tools, nuts, bolts and such disappearing.
Tuck40.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom