Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Made some good progress on the tub today! Got the passenger bedside in but it still needs some more tacks, then I need to sand them down and even the panel out with a hammer and dolly. Ryan and Tai are amazing and did most of the hard work but I got to do lots of prep work, some hammer and dolly work, I patch some unneeded holes on the floor boards. So much more to do... one of those Aquila tubs might have been a better option, but 💸💸💸💸

PXL_20201011_004936713.jpg

PXL_20201011_004944466.jpg

Once the panel is in place we have to... cut it up. I have to add the second filler neck opening for the auxiliary tank and we will likely be moving both wheel wells back at least two inches. I have a set of spare arches for that purpose. Other things that need to get done is the driver's bed side, rear sill and cover, finish patching unwanted holes, mount the tub to the rolling chassis to measure the wheel opening and get the cage welded up. Then I have to take the tub and the cage for media blasting and powder (on the cage). Then it is filler, primer, liner, seam sealer, and paint time!

I took a quick trip to Missoula to pickup a perfect set of FJ62 seats for my 40 project. I'll be giving this upholstery set to a friend of mine and having these covered in leather and installing seat heaters. This was before I cleaned them. The few spots visible in these pics are now gone.

PXL_20201018_151002760.MP.jpg

PXL_20201018_151012700.jpg

I'll be heading back down to @hairy_apple's place this Saturday to continue work on the tub. Springs should on their way back to me next week or the week after.

Got the driver's bedside in and almost fully welded. We started smoothing out the passenger's bedside and found a few trouble spots we need to work out. Both sides should be ready for body work (seam sealer, filler, etc.) soon, though that will wait a bit. Next up will be the rear sill and sill cover as well as a patch for the passenger outer sill. Then it is on to filling a billion extra holes made by the PO. So not awesome!

PXL_20201031_194559026.jpg

PXL_20201031_234810864.jpg

PXL_20201031_194624215.jpg

As usual @hairy_apple and @Blackcat37 (Tai) for their incredible talents and hard work. Hardly any of this was my doing... I just goffer while I am there.

It is like groundhog day... Mounted the springs... again. Still not where I want them, but I am going with it and will deal with them later. Atlas said they would do another round on them once the 40 was fully loaded and running, so I will take them up on that offer. If they fail me for a third time, then I plan to order springs from Alcan and do an SOA.

PXL_20201107_215117447.jpg

PXL_20201107_215057007.MP.jpg

They even did the axle push the wrong way. I got the rear axle that far back by mounting the military wrap on the shackle instead of the frame.

Ahhhhh crap! :bang: . They are useless. How can they get is so wrong again. I mean springs are there specialty right? Not good advertising.

Yeah... @reklund5 and I spent half the day cussing them out under our breath. I will haul the 40 to them once it is assembled (minus shocks and drive lines). For now, I am going to worry about it later.

Last edited:
I ordered parts through Toyota last week, then had an unpleasant conversation with their customer service guy about not getting the first two emails, before they cancelled my order, because the parts weren't in stock. Nice to see some Antifa members had to go back to work after their unemployment ran out....

Major Progress on the Tub Today

We got a solid amount of work done on the tub today. The rear seal is in and it looks great! There's still some work to be done to massage the rear quarters into place, but there's only a handful of smaller things to be done on the tub before we bolt everything together and get the chassis under it for fitting the cage, seat cradles and seats, sliders, bumpers, etc. January will hopefully be a big month for all of that and we will finally start running wires and plumbing fuel and brake lines... then blow it apart again for paint!

As always, I am so very grateful for @Blackcat37 and @hairy_apple for their amazing friendship and incredible work. So awesome!

PXL_20201219_181440120.jpg

PXL_20201219_181500506.jpg

PXL_20201219_230101519.jpg

PXL_20201219_230112224.jpg

Ended up running out to the Petroglyphs this weekend with some friends. Trail was clear the entire way other than a couple small patches of snow. Friends just bought a built 04 Grand Cherokee that they wanted to test out some (bought for overlanding) and so we just decided it would be fun to get out there.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Then came across this print... Not quite sure what it is but it was as big as my hand!!!

Then last week got the ScanGauge II upper console mount from @BenCC with the Mk27 mic mount in one of the switch blanks. ScanGauge is on order and will be here shortly, then he threw in a finalized version of the cupholders he was prototyping with me.
Prototype installed (note new one doesn't have phone/pen/wallet slot anymore)

Looks like a black bear print to me! Def not a big cat.
Ok we were debating on whether it was bear or cat. My buddy was thinking that bear had three distinct pads but we could only see the one major pad (multiple other prints but this was the best). Then we were thinking cat, but couldn't remember if they left claw indentions like a dog? No service out there no googling.

Ok we were debating on whether it was bear or cat. My buddy was thinking that bear had three distinct pads but we could only see the one major pad (multiple other prints but this was the best). Then we were thinking cat, but couldn't remember if they left claw indentions like a dog? No service out there no googling.

Not enough "toes" for a dog or big cat. I see five distinct anterior distal impressions. That can only be a bear.

1608593083455.png

Looks like bear to me, but I don't have any particular expertise. Every time I've seen cat tracks they left claws, but the reason I saw tracks was they were in soft dirt going uphill.

Looks like bear to me, but I don't have any particular expertise. Every time I've seen cat tracks they left claws, but the reason I saw tracks was they were in soft dirt going uphill.
Yeah these were heading up the road that is north east of the Petroglyphs (comes in from Lockwood area) and looked like they had been there a while as the ground was still pretty hard. Lots of horse, deer, cow tracks that were left in the area due to recent rains so no telling how old they were. Found a few horse legs, minus the horse(s) around the area too so something had been out and about (not fresh kill mind you but a few days old).

Over the holidays I grabbed some deals on things... Got the upper console ScanGauge mount from BenCC to go with the headunit mic, then caught one of the deals on a ScanGaugeII and eventually plan to get some ditch lights and will put the switch up there in the other switch blank.
ScanGaugeII showed up last night so got it installed and started calibrating. Still need to go through and add X-Gauge coding for temp settings and do fillup calibration for MPGs. Then with the console from BenCC he sent me the finalized cupholder design for the 100 series. Got that installed as well and love it.

So if any of you 100 owners are interested in the prototype one I would be willing to donate to another club member. Outside of that haven't really done much for her, will be doing tb/wp/t-stat service soon but that is a little bit off while I wait for stuff to arrive from CruiserOutfitters.

Now disconnecting the 1996 Toyota alarm. I've had enough incidents with this thing I don't want to get stranded by it...plus that time the alarm went off when I was setting up our hunt camp really pissed me off.

View attachment 2541318
Mine has started going off occasionally when I open the doors with the remote. What little research I've done says removing the security system from the 100 series is unpossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom