Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ordered my water pump, throw-out bearing hub this week and mocked up my power steering bracket/pump.
IMG_20200306_123942.jpg

I don't think I like it their... I want it on the bottom and the alternator up high. Hm... :hmm:

I also installed the distributor and oil dipstick tube and dipstick.
IMG_20200306_124021 (2).jpg

I'm scraping the barrel for things to do while I wait for more parts, but I guess I am making progress.

Thoughts, opinions welcome here.

So I'm digging out all the bits of the hard top I haven't seen in two years. I was gonna wait to do the resto on the top and doors until after the main part of the 40 was on the road, but I'll get a discount at my media blaster if I just do it all at once. So I am looking for opinions on the upper rear sill/hatch. Is this worth saving or should I try to find one?
IMG_20200307_125419.jpg

IMG_20200307_125428.jpg

Luckily this it the only part of the entire hard top, doors included that look questionable. Everything else is in pretty good shape.

Press on it with your finger and/or a screwdriver and see if you hear it want to give? Will give you a good indication as to ho bad things are.

As for my electrical gremlins, yeah this has to do with how the installer put in my Remote Start with door lock control. Remote start worked fine (when the starter didn't give me grief) and door locks were fine until they installed the system to allow it to hijack the signal and use the system to take over the door lock control (or more accurately would be coincide with). Already been to them twice for this and looking at a third time to see WTF is going on.

Debating on whether I want them to just disconnect the door lock control and DRONE Mobile (allows for app control to lock/unlock and remote start) or if I want to drop it off for another day in hopes they fix.

Installed the clutch fork (will probably have to remove it again) and properly installed the clutch slave bracket today.

IMG_20200307_152017.jpg

As I mentioned above, I also dug out my doors and hard top components. I plan to pop out the glass and strip the doors so I can get it all sent to the media blaster later this month.

YEAH!!! Got a bunch done with the truck yesterday... replaced the upper ball joint BOOTS (not the ball joints themselves) as mine were totally destroyed, process was pretty easy and really getting the ball joint detached was more the issue than anything, bought a small ball joint tool from HF but ended up being too small, gonna take that back today/tomorrow.
Old ball joint boot. Ball joint was still pretty tight so don't think I will need to replace them anytime soon.
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Then went on to the scary task of replacing the front diff lower bushing. For those that dont know this is one of the main culprits of the R-D clunk that happens in the 100 series.
Old bushing after getting out with the air chisel. Interior portion was destroyed and fell out when I finally worked the bushing all the way out of the front diff. That is not normal!

I got my doors and hatch broken down and ready for media blasting and eventually paint.
IMG_20200319_134115.jpg

No major damage to them, just some surface rust and bit of shattered glass from a previous mishap. I managed to get all the glass removed in one piece.
IMG_20200319_134130.jpg

I found out Douglas Machine accidentally put my head gasket on the wrong way. one step forward...
IMG_20200315_161334.jpg

I got my intake back from ABC Plating. They smoothed out the casting for me and it should be heading to JetHot for a ceramic coating along with the headers i don't own yet.
IMG_20200313_213129.jpg

I purchased an upper rear sill to replace the damaged one, but Nolan sent me the wrong one. So I am going to use it as a patch panel to repair the one I have.
IMG_20200319_114302.jpg

Aaand I bricked my brand new throw out bearing and hub, no pics though. I still gotta dig out the side panels and get the glass out of them too. Maybe this week. On an completely non-cruiser related note, I picked up a 351W block for $65! It seems to be in very good shape and will make a great base for the 427 stroker motor for the Bronco. So now I have the power plant, NP205 and NP203 for the doubler setup. All I need now is a good 4L80E transmission to rebuild and I'll have all but the doubler kit and adapters to bolt it all together.

Glad you caught that head gasket. It would have overheated due to one of the cooling jackets being blocked or restricted. Common mistake when replacing the gasket.

Yeah. One more thing I need to undo in order to continue progress though. Driving me bonkers! :bang:

I Finally Got My Butt "In Gear!" ;)

I got the transmission all mounted up today. I was alone, so I rigged up a couple of ratchet straps to finish the job. I got it in place using the transmission wiggle technique to get it to the studs, then cranked the straps a couple of times to pull the transmission flush with the mounting flange. 20 mins flat!

IMG_20200307_152017.jpg

IMG_20200411_134348.jpg

IMG_20200411_135630.jpg

Next up... Brake lines!

I installed the Big 3 upgrade cables from FourRunner that he and I have been working on. Also found out why my locks were wigging out. Installed crimp splice connector (blade splice connectors) into the wrong wires and left the connectors on instead of removing. So when things would move around it was causing a short in the line that apparently was causing the locks to trigger (and the alarm to trigger).

Did that Saturday, used the truck multiple times, using keyfob to lock/unlock truck, remote start, etc. and not one issue as of yet. Literally took me about 20 minutes to pull the panel and see the connectors, pull those plugs out to gain access to wires, pry incorrect connectors off and electrical tape the exposed wire. Really hate when people do s***ty installs like this, even worse when they are friends.

Well I took a break from getting the Bronco ready for High Rock to finally tackle the hard top glass. I managed to get it all out without incident.

IMG_20200510_174136.jpg

IMG_20200510_174127.jpg

IMG_20200510_174118.jpg

I did find an unfortunate dent in the upper right corner of the curved window frame that will be a problem...

IMG_20200510_155658.jpg

IMG_20200510_155721.jpg

Aside from that, there's a just one or two busted bolts to extract before taking them to be media blasted. My blaster is closed until COVID goes away, so more hurry up and wait!

Ended up replacing the idler pulley and tensionor bearing on Alita last night... Serpentine belt looked ok but will likely replace in the near future.

Then spent a little time looking in the engine bay to see where I could mount my Viair 88p pump instead of constantly lugging it around in the cab. Not a huge inconvenience but still one more thing in the way should I have company in the vehicle and would be nice to have it situated in the engine bay.

Think I may have found a spot but concern is there are only two mounting points that I would be able to tie to. Maybe at the next meeting I will pick some of your guys' brains on mounting location.

Then spent a little time looking in the engine bay to see where I could mount my Viair 88p pump instead of constantly lugging it around in the cab.

Have you checked out a York 210 setup? There's nothing like belt driven air system. 100% duty cycle and enough CFM to do just about anything you want.

Have you checked out a York 210 setup? There's nothing like belt driven air system. 100% duty cycle and enough CFM to do just about anything you want.

Yeah I know but I already have the Viair, plus don't want to be cutting and spliting something like that into the v8. Almost did that with the FJ60 but not on the 100.
@rusty_tlc Dan I may bring the EWD book for my truck, would love to figure out how to utilize the AHC plugs to grab power for the system, seeing as that is the area that I plan to mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom