What did you do to your pig today? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found that Sea Foam doesn't really cut the carbon very well at all. WD40 seems to work a little bit better. So soak, scrub, repeat. I got a proper gasket scraper, my first one that wasn't also a putty knife. Works pretty well.
Talked to the Machinist today, explained that you want to know how he fits valve stem seals, with pics. we'll be doing that Wednesday afternoon

20240318_141954.jpg

20240318_152626.jpg

20240318_181649.jpg

Went to visit Mr. Machinist. You can tell a real small-town machine shop by the jumble of trophy scrap metal and the old car magazines in the waiting room.
It's a small, crowded shop that's been here forever. Every small town should have one.

20240320_132136.jpg

20240320_132141.jpg

20240320_132255.jpg

Today I fixed a small but persistent issue on the old sow, the radiator overflow tube has deteriorated, or maybe i never put one on years ago when I replaced the worn out stock overflow with a Stainless one from a hot rod shop. Wireless transfer of signal is today's hot tech, tomorrow's: hoseless hydraulics. That's right boys, get in on the ground floor and thank me later....
Until the tech is perfected, I'm using 5/16" fuel line and some fuel injection hose clamps. Naturally I got a 10pk of hose clamps and 2 extra feet of fuel line to keep in the junk box/tool kit area of my pig.
2 feet of extra fuel hose might just help me or someone else out of a bind.

20240323_101655.jpg

This afternoon I plan to pull out the driveline and change out the front u joint which is brand new within the last 2000 miles but has developed play. I may have dropped a pin installing it, I don't know but I know it should not be clunky yet, and I'm not going to blame anyone else until I check my work, and even then, they're u joints I have extras and they're not that hard to change, especially when you've already removed the rust stuck 50 year old caps and snap rings.
I don't really enjoy changing u joints but I could practically do the job in the time it took to make this post.
Throw enough doobies in the mix and you can milk a single u joint for an entire afternoon in the shop...
Pro tip, thank me later.
All right, get back to work...

(EDIT)
U joint is in, it's nice and smooth in its rotation with no more Play. I didn't see anything funny with the old one, but it did have play. Now the weather needs to clear up and I'll go smash it through the woods...

Last edited:
I found that Sea Foam doesn't really cut the carbon very well at all. WD40 seems to work a little bit better. So soak, scrub, repeat. I got a proper gasket scraper, my first one that wasn't also a putty knife. Works pretty well.
Talked to the Machinist today, explained that you want to know how he fits valve stem seals, with pics. we'll be doing that Wednesday afternoon

View attachment 3585907

View attachment 3585908

View attachment 3585909
Yeah seafoam is meant to pull water from marine engines - you want something with polyetheramines, it breaks down the mass of carbon. so like GM top end cleaner, 3M top end cleaner, Gumout tuneup in a bottle, etc. They all have varying percentages, the more the better. BG 44K also has a high percent of PEA as well. Personally, I like the amsoil stuff. annoying to get, but if Gale Banks stands behind it, gotta be worth it

Cut apart the A Pillar Skins.
Replicated some outer skins ready for fitment and sale.

View attachment 3585939

View attachment 3585940

View attachment 3585941

View attachment 3585942

View attachment 3585943
@fre55h - my brain is not tracking what is going on in this picture.
That piece that you are holding up that is loose from the A pillar - the lower part looks like it mounts down by the door hinge, right? But the upper end of that loose piece? I keep expecting it to join the roof, but it obviously does not.
My mind is challenged...

1711289666117.png

Today I fixed a small but persistent issue on the old sow, the radiator overflow tube has deteriorated, or maybe i never put one on years ago when I replaced the worn out stock overflow with a Stainless one from a hot rod shop. Wireless transfer of signal is today's hot tech, tomorrow's: hoseless hydraulics. That's right boys, get in on the ground floor and thank me later....
Until the tech is perfected, I'm using 5/16" fuel line and some fuel injection hose clamps. Naturally I got a 10pk of hose clamps and 2 extra feet of fuel line to keep in the junk box/tool kit area of my pig.
2 feet of extra fuel hose might just help me or someone else out of a bind.

View attachment 3589135

This afternoon I plan to pull out the driveline and change out the front u joint which is brand new within the last 2000 miles but has developed play. I may have dropped a pin installing it, I don't know but I know it should not be clunky yet, and I'm not going to blame anyone else until I check my work, and even then, they're u joints I have extras and they're not that hard to change, especially when you've already removed the rust stuck 50 year old caps and snap rings.
I don't really enjoy changing u joints but I could practically do the job in the time it took to make this post.
Throw enough doobies in the mix and you can milk a single u joint for an entire afternoon in the shop...
Pro tip, thank me later.
All right, get back to work...

(EDIT)
U joint is in, it's nice and smooth in its rotation with no more Play. I didn't see anything funny with the old one, but it did have play. Now the weather needs to clear up and I'll go smash it through the woods...
Hoseless fluid transfer - definitely the wave of the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom