What could be causing this leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I'm new to the board but I've been reading some good infos from the regulars. I'm hoping to get some opinions on what could be causing a leak on my driver side rear hub. I've attached picture with the arrow to see if the rear hub seal failure might be the cause. I'm pretty dumb when comes to the mechanics but I think could change the gasket seal if I could avoid the trip to the dealer. What do you guys think? What does it involve? Also what fluid/oil is leaking? Should I need to add it since its been leaking? Picture shows some brake dust around the hub. Oh also I think this leak started happening when previous owner changed the lug nut (broken) when it failed the inspection. Thanks for any info.

-Patrick-
1994 LC

Patrick,

Well, your rear axle inner shaft seal has failed. you will need to replace the inner axle seal and repack the wheel bearings. I would do both sides of the vehicle as they have been down the same road togther. If the inner wheel bearing seal is holding, your parking brake shoes should be fine. Do not put off this repair, it should be done at your earliest convience.

Welcome to the forum, Dan.

I had a similar problem, the knuckle seal had dry-rotted. Cost $800 to get replaced :mad:. So if you can do it yourself, you'll save some money.

Thanks Dan and Jon. It seems little more involved than I thought. I talked to Toy dealer and they are quoting $550 for seal replacement with wheel bearing repack. I can have my friend to it for cheaper if I could find the right parts. Does anybody have part # that I'll need?

thanks again.

-Patrick-

Patrick,
Axle shaft seal, 90310-35001 x2, list $2.77 each.
Wheel bearing seal, 90311-62002 x2, list $17.23 each.
axle shaft flange gasket, 43422-60040 x2, list $1.46 each.
Wheel bearings, as required, inner, 90368-49084-77 x2, list $50.90 each. Outer, 90368-45087-77 x2, list $43.85 each.

These seals are quite specific. Most dealers will not stock them. It is best to plan ahead and have them in your hands before starting. I currently have all the required items in stock.

Regards, Dan.

Patrick,
Welcome to ih8mud and the 80/100 section. There is at least one, maybe two recent threads discussing this repair. It is not a difficult job and not too messy compared to the front axle.

You will need an SST for the rear hub nut or you will need to improvise. You or your friend should have the FSM before you start but if this is not possible then let us know and we can post all the details including torque specs.

Your in good hands with C-Dan for the required OEM parts. Good luck and keep us posted.

-B-

-B-
Is the panic button still operable?? looks a little fuzzy??
kinda like C-dan's keystone (still looks like a pepsi can to me??) :D

Jon,

That is for the front axle, Patrick has a problem with the rear axle.

Eduardo,

The dual panel containing panic & global destruct buttons was removed in favor of Bill (photoman's) new and improved Global Destruct Button. The additional 'Panic' button made the mighty Beowulf seem somehow "weak" or indecisive. That is not the case. Now, there is only the single Global Destruct Button (GDB) that will be used in the blink of an eye; no indecision, no qualms.

The avatar depicting the real GDB is a little fuzzy 'cause Woody went to 60x60 and back to 100x100. I haven't upped the resolution but will soon.

HTH.
-B-

-B-
Sounds good to me! This way there will be no mistakes! :D

Just one other thing, how about a couple of minutes warning,
so I can get to the fridge for one last cold one. ;)

Eduardo,

>> how about a couple of minutes warning, <<
>> so I can get to the fridge for one last cold one. <<

There have been several requests for this same reason. C-Dan, Jim, and Junk to name a few. I'll add you to the list and see what can be done but no promises.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom