What comes close? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JBHorne, next time I go buy a vehicle I want you with me!

I actually did get my 2011 4Runner Limited 4x4 with every option available for $36K, including dealer options such as ceramic window tint and remote start :)

I got my 2006 LC200 for $64K, every option including dealer options such as tint, side molding and remote start. I believe that was $10-12K less than MSRP.

I've bought 5 vehicles all at dealer invoice or less (all fully loaded) (2005 Cadillac SRX, 2005 Lexus RX330, 2006 Ford Explorer, 2008 Toyota LandCruiser, 2011 Toyota 4Runner).

When gas is $4 a gallon, cash talks. Haggling is an art. It takes experience and a strong understanding of the market. Understanding the rebate options available, manufacture incentives (both dealer to customer and manufacturer to dealer), holdbacks, etc. helps greatly. Also, many dealers get kickbacks for a quantity margin. If they are close to the next bracket, they will sell at invoice just to guarantee the kickback. The trick is also talking to the right person up front. Know what the dealership has on their lot before walking in the door. If you have to order, you'll never talk invoice. It greatly matters how long a vehicle has been on the lot. If you know the exact VIN of the vehicle you want, try walking into the dealership with a wad of cash for the invoice price (which you already know because you looked it up) and see if they'll accept. If not, walk and leave your number. Wait 2 weeks -- if they haven't moved the vehicle by then, they'll call :)

Oh, and DON'T EVER TAKE YOUR WIFE. The last thing you need is for her to make a comment such as "I love this car and want it so bad!". Sales people KNOW that men will do just able anything the please their wife. This means that they know she wants that car and does not want to let it go. This will raise the price :)

Instead, have about 3 vehicles from different dealerships that you are looking at. Even if you KNOW you really only want one of them, talk the talk and pretend to walk the walk. Along these same lines, you never can show that you are overly excited about a specific model. I bought my '11 4Runner sight unseen. It was sitting in the showroom. The sales guy wants to know what you think about it, but don't let him. In fact, don't even walk over to the car and look at it or test drive it. If you know you want it, just sit down and talk numbers. Tell him your time is way to valuable and you want this car at invoice or you'll walk. This shows that you are serious and ready and aren't going to tolerate any games.

Hope this helps a tad ;)

JBHorne,
I'm taking your book "The Art Of Negotiation" with me to the dealership, if it doesn't exist you should write one :)
Well detailed and very clear, especially the wife part, I appreciate it.
Thanks.
MD

Or you could bring your wife with you and have her say.. "I will not ever sleep with my husband again unless hes get invoice for this vehicle!"

I am sure the sales guy will have sympathy :p

Since the 08 models which were all-new and pre-fiscal crisis, Toyota have massively scaled back availability of the 200 series LC. I also normally pay at invoice or a few thousand below it on my new vehicles but my '10 LC I only managed about 3-4k off MSRP which is the closet to MSRP I've paid yet, plus I had to travel 500 miles. I paid this having lost out on three different 200s which were sold as I waited for the dealer to call me. Wanted one so decided it was worth a little more since it is almost as difficult to get hold of one as a limited edition exotic which is bizarre but the reality. I guess with so few dealers having them in stock, and those that do having only one, they know a willing buyer will get one. Those who got an 08 likely did a great deal, but normal rules don't apply to the LC anymore, $4 a gallon has no effect.

As for it's replacement, I'd say more like 8 more years to wait for that rather than 6. Previous LCs have had a life cycle of c.10yrs.

I would agree that they are more rare now than back in '08. Moreover, as these are "real" Toyota's (i.e. built in Japan, vin starting with "J"), with all that's going on overseas the price may increase substantially soon.

Also, market plays a huge role. Here in Tucson, top dollar vehicles are not common and pushing one is a difficult sell.

Interesting, how does this translate in the long run, parts; less availability and higher prices maybe?
Fortunately they are reliable and based on this trend will continue on being unique, funny enough, generally they aren't considered luxury vehicles but more utility.
During my last visit to Sydney, Australia, while taking a taxi, the older driver was chatting about his dream vehicle being a Bentley..... when I asked why not a Land Cruiser, he claimed he wasn't a peasant and that he lives in a civilised world...:)
I laughed that day as he started apologizing when he found out that that is all I have driven and will continue on driving them..
MD

After all, it isn't impossible to find a reasonably priced used LC in Canada, it may take some patience, by then the new model may be out I guess :)
pagemaster mentioned this one earlier, I did a simple comparison (attached) with online prices in the US, not bad.
MD
08 LC USA VS CANs.jpg

Hey everyone, this pricing isn't incorrect (I live in Canada). Vehicle prices are significantly more in Canada than the US. Even though the dollar is basically at parity it doesn't matter. Vehicle prices are roughly 25% - 45% more here. I would recommend you buy the vehicle in the US and import it. I imported a LC from Michigan last year and my sister imported a 4Runner from New Jersey. Two reasons, Toyota Canada hasn't sold new LC since 1996/1997 and the 4Runner was about $8000 less in the US for a Limited model (same equipment here). Yes, we have different trims here so the model variations are relevant.
When you import a vehicle from the US into Canada you pay the tax on the sale price plus duty. You will need to get a safety and emissions test. I had no problems when I brought my 2004 LC in. Check out this site for importation process.
Registrar of Imported Vehicles
Hope that helps. Cheers!

I'm not a chevy fan but many of my friends are. We spend a lot of time at the ranch (off road) and I'm offen surprised by a z71's capability. With a small lift (which is very simple and easily installed) and bigger tires, a z71 Tahoe can achieve good ground clearance. Also, the rear e-locker works extremely well.

I get frustrated when one of the z71's I run with make it through stuff I just can't. To compete I would have to get fully locked or pull out the g. But it's mostly mud and sand where I can't hang.

A chevy is no compairon for fit, finish, or longevity, but at half the price, buy 2 in the next 5 years.

Also their motors are torture proof.

I'm not a chevy fan but many of my friends are. We spend a lot of time at the ranch (off road) and I'm offen surprised by a z71's capability. With a small lift (which is very simple and easily installed) and bigger tires, a z71 Tahoe can achieve good ground clearance. Also, the rear e-locker works extremely well.

I get frustrated when one of the z71's I run with make it through stuff I just can't. To compete I would have to get fully locked or pull out the g. But it's mostly mud and sand where I can't hang.

A chevy is no compairon for fit, finish, or longevity, but at half the price, buy 2 in the next 5 years.

Also their motors are torture proof.

Not to be rude, but it sounds like you need to take an off-road course, specifically how to drive through sand. I'm not being snarky, this is honest advice. You buddies probably watched you with fully inflated tires/electronics all on/stop starting and had a good chuckle. Just ask the Arabs. The Z71 package is even acknowledged by the Chevy truck guys (I owned an 09 GMC Duramax Z71, an 02 G500 too fwiw) to be little more than a sticker package. The Tahoe's have terrible wheel articulation, and all the loose wires hanging off the axles literally get ripped out when doing any kind of proper off-roading. Put simply, a Tahoe would need to be heavily modified to even get close to an LC200 off road on equal tires. As goes engines, so is the 5.7. Maybe the poor fitment of your lift is to blame. Any pictures of your 200?

Chimyz- Now the Dodge Power Wagon, that is an impressive and PROPERLY factory modified pickup off road. Excellent articulation and rock abilities, it's breakover angle is the only fly in the ointment. Congrats on a great truck.

Last edited:
If there were no Land Cruisers on earth whatsoever and you were forced to purchase an American made (or other) SUV at gun point, what would it be?
Forgive my explicitness!

Mid-run V6 Manual Exploder.
Good around town and off the pavement, decent on gas, and pretty well built for what it is. I emphasize the mid-run because the early Exploders needed some tweaking at first, and the later ones were too domesticated. Mid-run still had a rear beam axle, and a pretty bulletproof IFS. This is also before they made 'em fatter to accommodate the V8, which, in my opinion, was the beginning of the end.

Ford's 4.0 Liter V6 is a pretty robust little motor, too.

Nospell - apologies if that came off as harsh. I did not mean to be rude but I do stand behind the post.

To answer Mudimond's question, of the American 5-doors, I'd most trust the Jeep Grand Cherokee with necessary factory options (like skids and 4x4) for off road use.

No worries Carl. I'm going to start a how to drive in mud/sand post when I get a chance. I don't want to deviate to far from the original question. Maybe I don't have the right buttons pushed in the 200. Do the 200s in the mid east come with rear lockers?

Just one note, I was at the ranch this weekend and got stuck multiple times in a 300yrd sandy creek bed crossing (it's bow season hear). All buddies made it with ease. Three of us run the same nitto trails and all run 40psi or more. The terrain is mixed including a lot of high speed gravel so lowering pressure is not an option. Iv been crossing this same spot for about 15 years and all others seem to make it fine. I think the 200 needs lockers. Will post pics.

My original point was - take anything tough, lock it, lift it, and you'll have a good offroader. Your g is a good example, poor articulation, but unstoppable when locked. Mine likes to leak a lot and will soon find a new home in Russia (that's where all mine go to die.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom