What are you working on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As we sit here in PA this winter getting hit with all this snow, hopefully everybody has warm coveralls, a heater in the garage, or just thick blood so that some of the Toyota projects are still going on in anticipation of some better wheeling weather. So I am going to start the thread. I am going through the dreaded P0401 code that 80s tend top get and have to deal with due to emmssions. I decided to replace all the major parts of the system except for the EGR and to replace all vacuum hoses. For about $200 I will have good piece of mind that it will be gone for good. I have started to gather the parts from Freedom Toyota (thanks Walter Wallace) for repair/replace: throttle body gasket, assorted hardware, VSV, and EGR Modulator. Will be putting them on in the next few weeks and also cleaning the throttle body and assorted ports in hopes that the code goes away. New 285 tires are on the way, Looking at GY Wrangler Duratracs to complement my low lift 861/862 springs. Lots of fluid flushes will also be going on, ATF, xfer, diffs and radiator. Maybe a birf job when the weather breaks. Looking for a good used winch, and some offroad bumpers on craigslist and mud to no avail. Who is next?

I am currently waiting to have my pole barn addition completed so that I can get my 4 Runner into the shop to work on it. Damn weather has been a PITA for getting the building up. Once the building is up I am planning on adding some tube to the 4 Runner roll cage including adding a X at the b-pillar behind the seats, building a seat sub-frame to lower the seats and tie them into the cage, install anti-sub belt to finish off 5-point harnesses, add door bars, replace front output seal on t-case, ditch the tailgate/bob the bed, install spare fluid storage, fire extinguisher mount, and CO2 tank mount, replace fluids, and go over everything to make sure it is tight. Just a little bit of stuff :D

In the mean time, I have been modifying a FJ60/62 front axle to go into the front of the 4 Runner. Will be building my own high steer setup with hiem joints and tubing. Have all of the parts other than the axle rebuild kit and short side inner shaft, which I should be able to get from the help of this board.

Prepping the TR7 for paint so I can get it out of the garage and pull the 69 FJ40 frame in and get back to work on that, or mount the fj62 power steering on the 78 40

Good to know your 80 is becoming trail-ready Matt :)

JT, why not stretch your wheelbase versus bobbing the bed of your runner?

I am making my 74' FJ40 more comfortable for DD duties... getting ready to swap the PS pump, added a 62 steering wheel, 33 BFG MT's to reduce the RPM's and soon will have CB and stereo on board :popcorn:

On my hilux trail truck... I finally fixed the damage from my one trip to PA last year: Took apart the dual ultimate cases to find ball bearing floating around and c-clips missing :lol: replaced all that :idea: then rebuilt the V6 EZ lockered front third (which also broke at the same time the t-cases got hammered) but then replaced it with an ARB (thanks John B.!) and got a compressor installed... next project is to nut and bolt it and get some tires... not sure which. I am leaning toward Cut 38 12.50 Boggers considering the KY wheeling I do, which has loads of mud, rocks, and roots.

I am looking for a reason to come up to PA for a weekend when the weather is better :cheers:

Jeff, I will be extending the wheel base once I do the SAS since I will be redoing the rear with a set of F-150 springs. Hoping to push the rear axle back about a few. Probably cut out the inner wheel wells at the same time to get more flex out of the rear. Bobbing the bed is on bottom of the list, rather get the tube work knocked out to be a little safer and I hate welding sheet metal ;)

Hopefully our schedules match up when you come up to wheel, be great to hit some trails together again.

I have been staring at the 80 wondering when i do the needed paintwork and put the winch on. Its a nice shade of salt since Christmas.
The shore has been hit fairly hard this year with snow and now ice so not much time to play - can hardly see the 70 through the snow pile!

JT, I'll keep you posted on dates to wheel.

My WB is 112 with F150 in back and RUF. Rear axle is moved back and front axle is pushed forward so approach and departure are good..... guess the bob/chop (or backhalf of a standard cab in this case) helps too...You can get an idea from this pic:

DSCN0104.jpg

Yep, that is the same setup suspension wise that I am planning on running. Probably a 5 leaf RUF pack to start, not looking for much if any lift, just flex.

I have some j springs I got from Matt Reed. Since I don't have a garage that the 80 fits in they are still sitting in my shed. I am also sans inspection at the moment. I need to throw some rear pads on to get it to pass. As soon as the weather breaks a little I will address both. Hopefully before the Feb trail ride.

killing time till spring, waiting on warmer and longer days.
got my frame about wrapped up, for the 40. have heat, but waiting on warmer weather for some coating work. thinking about replacing it's current 2f(smokey and low OP) with another.
got the springs in order for the green 80's 3'' lift. working on new wheels and the rubber for them.the first wheel should show up this week, want to make sure it fits the way it should before too many show up.
getting the springs in order for the another 80's 0" lift....both are getting 285's.
getting things sorted for some body work on the 60 series. got it's "new" rear axle ready to throw under it...it has been spending too much time parked at work while i have the service truck.
have been stock piling new, used and other parts.
work has been busy, and keeping me away from things, and showing no signs of letting up, but at the same time providing the means to procure just about anything i could want. an h41 and an h55 are closer than i care to think about.
jan40.jpg

At least one thing will be off of my list this week. 14'x30' addition with man door and 9'x7' garage door. Once sealed up, the blue doors will come out along with two vertical rows of block so that I can get a vehicle in the block building. This is what they got done today.
Shop1.jpg

Matt, get rid of the computer and install a carb. No more P0401 error codes.

Jeffrey, when you moving back to the Keystone State?

Tom, Salt-White would be a cool color choice.

Brian, looks like you have projects thru next winter. You need a hobby.

JT. Nice shop you're building there. Got Heat?!?

Bob, you have a cool project there. Will be a heck of a rig when you're done.

Me, well, I'm almost done with the 40. Wiring is done, but I want to clean it up a bit more. Cage is here, just not mounted yet. Still need to measure for shocks and pick up my driveshafts from the shop. Good thing the groundhog didn't see his shadow. I need some warm weather to open up the shop doors and clean a bit.

Bill, think you will be on the trails this spring? Look forward to checking it out when you are done. As for heat, other than a kerosene heater, none at the moment. May insltall a woodstove or a larger home sized kerosene heater that I have at my parents house.

Don't know about spring, but definitely by summer. Have to save up for another trailer as mine grew legs last fall.

Damn that sucks about your trailer, freakin tweekers. I have a feeling it will be really nice when you are done :)

update

Rob, the mini truck looks good! Find some 35"s please! The 80 has now passed emissions and inspection. The VSV as was bad. What a PITA to get to on an 80. If anybody else needs to do this let me know and I can help out. Tires with the tax return and I will be good to go. Hell they did pass inspection with 87k on them!

finished all repair welding on the frame, anything after this point is add ons and extras. time to por 15 it, and then i can throw some sheetmetal at it.
i need to get a buddy to get on the rear third, it's getting new bearings, seals and an lsd.
feb40G.jpg

hoping to get the floater under the 60 this weekend...it's supposed to be real nice all weekend. it'll be nice having the doors open in the shop for a change.

*happy fun times*
float.jpg
oneton.jpg

Last edited:
got the springs under the the green 80 a few weeks ago. it had been rolling all summer on the new wheels with 285s. a rear bumper is in the works for it. trying to track down a used arb for the front of it.
fzj-802.jpg
fzj-803.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom