Went wheeling with some jeeps... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We went to an area near Whitehall, MT called Pipestone over the long weekend and wheeled with a few jeeps. My wife drove my buddy's '85 4Runner with lockers, 5.29 gears and very mild suspension and I wheeled my $250 1980 logbed which is basically just bone stock with lockers. We drove the 200 miles there hauling our camping gear, wheeled everything and drove home. Even broke 20 mpg on the highway with both vehicles loaded to the gills.
The jeep guys trailered their jeeps behind full sized trucks except for one guy who drove clear from the east coast to wheel with us and had an ignition problem that caused his motor to stop running 40 miles from the destination. He was very disapointed to say the least!
After the weekend only 1 of the 5 jeeps that came were still operable due to broken drivetrain parts, roll overs and mysterious overheating issues. I guess that's the difference between jeeps and toyotas... :)
Here are a few of the photos:
017.jpg

034.jpg

014.jpg

047_830646.jpg

069.jpg

025_492230.jpg

A general rule of thumb when you go wheeling with Jeeps guys. Either be first in line on the trail or make sure the trail is wide enough to get around them when they break. :D

I know and I've been trying to keep a good attitude about it lately, but these kind of numbers just don't lie!

looks like fun. So the pipestone area is open to trucks and dirt bikes. I live up in Columbia Falls and having been meaning to check that area out some more. I was planning on bring my DB, but might have to take my tacoma also.

X2 on more stories! I have been thinking about heading to those trails. Do you have a map or guide for them?

Looks like a good time! I'm knew to this wheeling stuff but that definitely looks like fun, good to hear that my truck is as capable as I believed it would be.

Wow, I hope no one was hurt!!!
need the story on the balled up jeep!!!!!!

how did the other one flop? looks level from the way the guy is standing on the left side.

It makes the jeep guys kind of mad when I pull up, get out the shackles and tow straps.

The cherokee flop was kind of odd. It was steep and off camber there for a bit, the photos don't really do it justice. We all wheeled the same line but Travis just happened to hit this little rock with his hi-side tire and maybe a bit too much skinny pedal, and well... it sort of just flopped.

Here is the vid of the YJ rollover: YouTube - THE JEEP SHOP PIPESTONE ROLL OVER

Kind of makes a good case for wearing your seatbelts and having a roll cage.

I dont think the Jeep part was the problem.

drivers ed could have helped.

That stinger must be what saved him.:rolleyes:

That was just plain dumb. Darwin almost got him.

I dont think the Jeep part was the problem.

drivers ed could have helped.

That stinger must be what saved him.:rolleyes:

That was just plain dumb. Darwin almost got him.

X2. Really poor driving.

holy cow, that was fricking in saine.
that jeep really held up, I am shocked he was not killed.

so what would you guys say happened.
to much brake?
to much speed?

on stuff like that I use a low gear and let the motor do most of the work keeping the speed down.

It looks like he locked the brakes up and then couldn't control the descent.

holy cow, that was fricking in saine.
that jeep really held up, I am shocked he was not killed.

so what would you guys say happened.
to much brake?
to much speed?

on stuff like that I use a low gear and let the motor do most of the work keeping the speed down.

I would say too much speed from the start at the top, too much brake from the get go and then it was just to late to recover. You need to feel exactly what you are doing on something like this. The wheel base didn't help either.

The jeep had a little rake to it and appeared REALLY light in the ass end whenever he was pointed down something steep, plus the conditions were kind of strange... The surface had a little dry crust on top but underneath it was slippery clay. Of course looking up from the bottom after the roll it looked way steeper than it was on the video, but it was probably too steep for that vehicle to decend on that day with those snotty conditions. I'm not saying at all that he couldn't have drove out of it, he probably could if he had seen it coming, but I don't think he expected the surface to be like that.

Another thing is that this guy drives and builds alot of different vehicles. He has had this particular jeep for several years and it has probably changed personalities completely every six months. There is something to be said about knowing your vehicle before throwing at something death defying. I'm not defending him or judgeing him either way, we all have to make our own choices out there, but it's interesting to look at all the factors that lead to something like this. He was really lucky to come out without any injuries, and I think he kind of had a good time with the whole thing, but it does put a damper on the day when someone almost gets killed on the trail.

I really like to get out and look at and feel a surface before I make a decent or a climb like that. One time years ago I was going to do this nasty climb in the winter after a thaw and while it looked dry on top, there was a layer of glare ice underneath. I was lucky enough to drive out of that one by pulling a kind of dune cutting brodie manuever, but it left a lasting impression. Shortly after I bought an in cab cage and started getting out more and looking before steep long climbs and decents.

Man! that was nasty! Crazy stuff. I've never seen a vehicle roll that many times.

It looks like he locked the brakes up and then couldn't control the descent.

That's exactly what it looked like. He locked up the brakes, couldn't steer, and got sideways enough to hook a tire under and roll it. I agree with the engine braking, the wheels keep turning....;)

my freind landwagon went wheeling with a few jeeps recently. there was 7 jeeps including new ones......with dana 44's blah bla

5 out of 7 jeeps broke their axles..........the mini trucks got dents:lol:

We all know about Jeeps.... now lets just keep it to ourselves... If ever person that had a jeep was out looking to buy a Toyota, the prices would skyrocket! And we don't want that.... :cheers:

Practice these lines:

"Hey, nice Jeep!" (You don't have to mean it)

"Wow, is that a Dana 44?" (Try to stay positive about their vehicle, and not to talk about how much better Toyota's are...)

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom