Well boys and Girls, you're stuck with me now. Question on H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
It's been done:

Alan Rench's H55F Installation Tips

H55F transmission into an 85 Toyota Land Cruiser | OlympiaFJ60

I think it's somewhere in '83 that the t'case changed to allow for the bearing and oil cup needed for the H55...

Looking in the EPC, it seems like it's 2/83, but I'm not sure - have not looked at enough t'cases.

Spike thanks for the links. The bad part is Rench totally glazes over the differences in the tcase and does not say what was done to remedy the situation. And reading the other link that guy only shows pictures of a late model tcase not the early model. They both mention longer bolts but in reality the tcases are totally different. The bearing on a non spacer early tranny only sticks out about a quarter inch but the bearing on an H55 (or late model 4 speed) sticks out about 3/4 of an inch. And early tcases do not have the recess for the oiler.

Like you said as long as it has the late model bearing configuration and the recess for the oiler it will bolt on but generally this is about 4/85 in the US. (The 11/83 build date 60 we recently tore apart had the early tcase)I think his best bet is to buy a tranny with tcase or buy a late model tcase that will definately fit.

This is why I hate dates there are always exceptions, instead I just look for the spacer behind a four speed. Just for info, I am running the tcase from a 88 FJ 62 on my H55 in my 82 BJ. Yes it came off an auto and had the recess for the oiler.

Tony

Yes, with so many variations it's probably better just to find a later t'case or even a FJ62 t'case and adapt that -- Prolly less work than adapting a pre 4/85 case. There's nothing I hate more that spending months assembling parts and then when that big weekend happens, hitting a brick wall of incompatible parts.

well i have someone willing to sell me an H55 with attached transfercase so i am good. Problem is its in Northern CA...doh

ask Skillet or someone from up there to take it to SNT. two great reasons to make the road trip...

It's been done:

Alan Rench's H55F Installation Tips

H55F transmission into an 85 Toyota Land Cruiser | OlympiaFJ60

I think it's somewhere in '83 that the t'case changed to allow for the bearing and oil cup needed for the H55...

Looking in the EPC, it seems like it's 2/83, but I'm not sure - have not looked at enough t'cases.

That's correct, when H55 came out in '83, the t-case is revised to accept oiler.
But there may have been leftover cases without oiler provision, or trucks have had parts swapped around since they left the factory 25 years ago.

That's correct, when H55 came out in '83, the t-case is revised to accept oiler.
But there may have been leftover cases without oiler provision, or trucks have had parts swapped around since they left the factory 25 years ago.

Jim

What did they do to account for the differences with the bearing? Or is this only found with spacer style four speeds?

Tony

Dunno. :meh:
But I hope to have an '83 and '86 t-cases scattered on the floor soon, so will be able to do a direct comparison.

I have a non spacer 83 tcase that I can take apart as well if need be.

Tony

Hopefully this will clear some things up:

Split T-Case configurations:

Cruiser Outfitters

It is absolutely possible to bolt up a 83' era w/oiling provisions to an H55F, furthermore there was a Mudder (can't remember who) that was running an H55F without the oiling cup and had been for quite some time, he had no issues without it. I would not recommend running sans oiling cup but it has been done.

Hope that's helpful.

...and if the tranny/TC are original equipment (not replaced, which I don't think either was) then it (Ingrid) is actually a Nov. 82 build.

It'll be sick to have the extra range of a 5-speed. Something I wish I had had.

Let me chime in one more time here. I am not a fan of the 3F bellhousing and the resultant loss of clearance under the T-case caused by the clockwise rotaion (looking from the rear) of the drivetrain. If you do a swap, I reccomend keeping the older bellhousing if possible. This will only work without mods if you have the early crossmember though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom