Welding on a few parts....what do I need to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
I need to grind off and weld new (bigger flange) tabs for lights on the middle flange of my ARB bumper, as well as I'll need to do a little build up down on my front axle when the locker project gets underway, so I figured I'd better ask what is required prep before I strike an arc on a live vehicle.

Do I just pull the negative terminal on my battery and go for it?

Any concerns with the airbags?

I've welded plenty of parts that bolted to a rig, and I've done some restore work on cars that were stripped enough that there wasn't even a wiring harness in them, but never on a truck that is functional.

What do I need to do?

Linus,
That's all I ever do and have never had a problem and I've done a lot of welding on mine. Just disconnect the battery/batteries. I try to place the welding ground as close to where I'm going weld as reasonably possible. The airbags should be fine unless you plan on running your welding machine into the cruiser at high speed. :)
$ .02 worth.
Bill

Bill is on it,
notice though pull both if not all of the battery cables off prior to striking and arc. one other little thing from the body shop world if you dont have some pick up some weld through primer for the areas you are about to attack. helps to keep rust form forming after the fact.
Dave

Weld through primer...Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of it, so I'll talk to the guys at the local welding supply shop tomorrow and see if they have it, if not I guess maybe the local dealer for PPG paints might know something about this stuff.

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom