Welders (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in chat, but figured you all would have some ideas as well.

Welders
I have done some welding in HS, and as recent as last summer to make some gates for my yard. Basic square frame, with gussets, and used wood pickets. I even had to customize the hangers, as I had already put hangers in the wall when I had the block wall put in.

It was a borrowed ( Lincoln 225 stick welder i think), and now I am looking to purchase one used or new to make some sliders, as well as possibly a roof rack (not quite ready to venture into a bumper).

I am looking for something cheap (no more than $250ish). I will consider new or used (some Chicago Electric welders at Harbor freight for around $200), and would prefer it be much cheaper. I am sure once I get better, I may consider "upgrading", but for the next couple years, I don't think I will do much if any besides these two projects. I am open to stick, line fed, etc.

Any recommendations? or am I off my rocker?

Ron,

There is discussion on this at Whats a good affordable welder.

Aside from what has been said there, you will find much more to do with this tool than you think. I didn't think I would use mine as much as I did. Hopefully Larry and Pierrette will be at the meeting and you can talk with them. He is a real good welder, she is a welding engineer.

Might I suggest that you go to a welding shop and ask for a demo using various 120 or 220 vac welder before deciding on a particular unit? Perhaps play with the club members' welder to see what feels good. Just a thought....

Ron,

There is discussion on this at Whats a good affordable welder.

Aside from what has been said there, you will find much more to do with this tool than you think. I didn't think I would use mine as much as I did. Hopefully Larry and Pierrette will be at the meeting and you can talk with them. He is a real good welder, she is a welding engineer.

Thanks for the link, I wasn't sure where to post it, I hadn't noticed that forum. If they are there, i'll ask their opinion.

Might I suggest that you go to a welding shop and ask for a demo using various 120 or 220 vac welder before deciding on a particular unit? Perhaps play with the club members' welder to see what feels good. Just a thought....

Good idea, but since I haven't used many, I was hoping to have a bit more information before I walk into one, so I don't look like a deer in the headlights with a salesperson hearing "cha-ching" when I walk in.

Good idea. Come 'awn over.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that offer sometime.

I plan on taking the CNM welding "certificate" class at some point, but I can't fit the scheduled class time at this point. I am hoping to get the Lincoln my father-in-law had (its still the family, but out of town), or find something used .

Short term, I want to try to make some cheap sliders.. for practice, and the satisfaction of having something original... long term, in 3-5 years, I would like to build my own trail trailer. I am quite inspired after seeing some of the builds being done on the trailer forum.

From my limited welding experience, I'd say either a high dollar MIG (Wire feed) system (like Jon has) or a not as expensive 220V SMAW (Stick) would fit the bill for your intended use. Thicker metal needs more heat. Stick welders work well on thicker steel. MIG welders are much easier to use and get a better looking bead with less experience than a stick welder though. If you get a MIG, your price preference will probably get you a 110V, flux-core wire machine. A 220V MIG that uses inert gas to flood the arc will produce much nicer welds on thicker metal, but can be expensive. I recently picked up one of the less expensive, 110V systems (Chicago Electric) but haven't welded anything with it yet. I may change my opinion after I use it.

Ron,

I didn't think I would use mine as much as I did. Hopefully Larry and Pierrette will be at the meeting and you can talk with them. He is a real good welder, she is a welding engineer.

Hopefully George will be here as well. He's also an excellent welder - a former U.S. Navy Nuke Machinist.

Stick welders are less forgiving than a MIG (not flux core) machine due to the fact that you don't have to keep relearning how to weld each time. MIG (metal inert gas) puts down a nice bead and is easy to learn. Stick welding requires lots of practice to put down a nice bead and then you need to sorta keep welding to remember the process.

Stick welding is great for outdoors and mondo thick metals. Since it requires no shielding gas, getting blown by the wind is not an issue. Furthermore, you have to chip away the slag after you're done stick welding. MIG is better suited for indoor work and the occasional welder IMHO.

Another thing I suggest is go rent one of each kind and build your sliders with them. You really need to do a large project to get a feel for what's right before committing to a welder purchase. Yes, building sliders is a huge project and very time consuming for the first timer. Also, it'd help to rent a plasma cutter for cutting metals cleanly. You can do it with an Oxy-Acet setup but the plasma tends to do a cleaner job.

I assume you have some plans for making up the sliders? If not, go to Sliders for the designs use by many 80 owners. The dimensions may not be accurate for the hundy (100 series) but at least you have a starting point and a scope of the project. I used these plans to build three sets of sliders.

Something like a Miller 135 is a great unit for 120vac. It's small but is plenty for the kind of automotive fab work that we do.

Welder debate is similar to Ford vs Chevy; you'll have opinions from all sides! However, the two big ones are Miller (Blue) vs Lincoln (Red). I'm a big Blue fan myself !!

Cheers,

AA

Another thing I suggest is go rent one of each kind and build your sliders with them.

I assume you have some plans for making up the sliders? If not, go to Sliders for the designs use by many 80 owners. The dimensions may not be accurate for the hundy (100 series) but at least you have a starting point and a scope of the project. I used these plans to build three sets of sliders.

Something like a Miller 135 is a great unit for 120vac. It's small but is plenty for the kind of automotive fab work that we do.

Thanks.. if I don't get a hold of the one my father-in-law had, then I will consider renting one ( I really hadn't thought of that).

As far as plans, I am just in the early stages now, but I have been looking at the 80's home made, two home-mades on the 100 forum, and sliders such as Slee's, Hanna, etc to get some ideas.

new sliders

Although the original plan called for me making some new sliders, things changed. Got the go ahead last week from the :princess:, and immediately ordered a new set from Slee. I picked them up Monday afternoon at the freight co., and put them on that night after the kiddo's were asleep.

I believe Mike called it that after a snow run, first thing is sliders.
IMG_4811_1_1.JPG

Check out the Sears service center on Calndelaria near I-25, I picked up a simple Craftsman 110V flux-core welder:

Craftsman Wire Feed Welder, Gasless - Model WE20568 at Sears.com

I have had no problems with it for use on the 40 and various home projects, I got a refurbished unit for $150 which retails for $250...I am happy with it, but definitely want to get a nice TIG someday.
They may even have some higher-end 220V refurbished MIG units in there for cheap, if you want something for big projects.

Nice job!!! I agree with Rory, it's liquid courage as I watched him go crazy at Puerco last Saturday!! Sliders make you do crazy but legal things....

Although the original plan called for me making some new sliders, things changed. Got the go ahead last week from the :princess:, and immediately ordered a new set from Slee. I picked them up Monday afternoon at the freight co., and put them on that night after the kiddo's were asleep.

I believe Mike called it that after a snow run, first thing is sliders.

Ron -

Congrats on the new sliders. Better now than after you've crushed your rocker panels and doors!

Maybe bumpers are next? :clap:

Evan

Ron -

Congrats on the new sliders. Better now than after you've crushed your rocker panels and doors!

Maybe bumpers are next? :clap:

Evan

you mean after I already damaged a rocker panel and doors (thanks to the xmas tree run). I think I will get the front locker first, with a high output compressor for onboard air as well. If the current bumpers get a bit damaged (rear is already all scratched up), I don't mind, as I will replace them eventually anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom